Best oil for a one year oci short tripper

Status
Not open for further replies.
Leave the filter on and just drain and refill at 6 months if you're itching to. Changing the filter at 6 is only getting you a 1/2 qt of fresh oil at most. The filter should be no where near capacity, nor in need of changing.

I'd leave it alone and UOA at 1 year - you're using a top quality syn.

For what its worth: I posted pictures in the oil additive section of a car my father had that I took, that was used in severe service usage. It had dino oil changes every 3000 miles, about twice a year. The engine has heavy varnish and under 85K miles, my dad was the original owner. I'd be careful with 1 year OCI's and dino oil. While it might work in some applications it doesn't work in all applications, and the pictures in the "MY KREEN TEST" thread show it.

Now before team Dino comes out and attacks me, there is nothing wrong mechanically or with the PCV system in that engine. Other BITOG friends shared similar experiences with Dino oil in severe service applications. YMMV

Originally Posted By: victorkoga
I decided to go with Mobil 1 ep. I am going to change the filter at 6 months and do a uoa after 8 to see if a year is reasonable.

Good thinking.....IMO...M-1 EP is a good choice for long OCI's

Regarding the filter....just get a good long OCI filter that will go 8 to 10K....such as Fram Ultra, Bosch Distance Plus or the Purolator Synthetic. No need to change out every six months.

I am a firm believer in Full Synth and Semi Synth oils. In Europe there are very few cars, unless you are talking about cars over ten years old minimum, that would be specified a mineral/conventional oil.

Also annual oil changes are the norm. With most cars sticking with a mileage/12 month interval.

I am a big fan of Mobil oils, especially Mobil 1 branded products.

I would have no issues using a good quality synthetic or semi synthetic with an annual change due to low mileage use.

Though my personal choice for one of my vehicles would be full synth.

I would be happy with the choice you have made and happily run to one change a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back