Best OIL Drain Pan for home garage use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Kestas
Except you have to account for clingage loss.

Absolutely. When using it for ATF changes, I primarily use it as a reasonably accurate estimate for how much to pour back in after a drain. If I'm tidy and avoid spillage, I know that I will be close to the original fill level (+/- container calibration errors, clingage loss, temp differences between old and new ATF.) I will still double-check using the dipstick afterwards to make sure. Last time I did the drain & refill on my tranny, I didn't have to add anything. It was nice getting to the correct fill level in a single iteration.

For oil changes, I just like the fact that it has high sides and the container's mouth ends up being really close to the drain bolt when the car is up on ramps. My Subaru has such a large drain bolt that the oil tends to gush out at a fairly high velocity. With this "pan" I find it easier to keep the splashing contained. (No, I haven't install a Fumoto valve yet.)

Originally Posted By: Donald
The cheapest drain pan at Wallymart (about $2.00) is fine excapt the "pour area" of it tends to overflow if you are not super careful. On the positive side its small enough to fit into the dishwasher if you want to clean it up.

My favorite drain pans have a closed top except for a screened area about 8" in diameter (and normally a cover for this area). That way if the drain plug is hot you can let it fall onto the screened area and pick it up when the oil has drained. Beats having to fish the drain plug out of the drain pan with a wrench.

And just who's dishwasher were you planning to use?

I have a few oil drain pans, but this $2 Blitz is my favorite. The triangular shape makes it sturdy and very easy to pour out the spent oil without any spillage. Wipe it out with a shop rag and hang it on the wall when I'm done. Not too keen on the dishwasher idea.

I have other pans with grilles to catch drain bolts, integrated spouts, etc., but I end up using the cheapo instead. No extra caps/seals/goodies to leak. I use a funnel to put the old oil into the containers the new oil came in, or I pour it directly into the 5 gallon waste jug.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back