Best Lubricant for Samsonite Suitcase Casters and Wheels

Owen Lucas

$100 Site Donor 2023
The casters on my suitcase are not swiveling as smoothly as before and the wheels have a little binding to them. The suitcase still rolls but it wants to go in odd directions.

What type of lubricant do you recommend for the wheels / metal axle as well as the plastic caster and caster housing?

It looks like I will need to spray lubricant into the small opening above the caster to reach the bearings or swivel mechanism.

This lubricant will need to be plastic safe. I'm thinking silicone, any other choices?
samsonite.jpg

I should have posted my inventory originally.

Lubricants.jpg

I think I'll go with the Teflon.

Well, I lubed it up and the casters are still tight.

I was able to unzipper the interior and the entire wheel assembly can be removed with 6 Philips head screws. Hopefully the caster arm / bearings can be disassembled, cleaned, and rebuilt.

Last edited:
probably got something wound up in wheels and swivel,,as hair,clean it out using a very thin blade as for example a copeing saw blade between the axel and the piece it connects to,then some Tri-Flow as someone mentioned above.

I should have posted my inventory originally.

View attachment 214283

I think I'll go with the Teflon.
None?

I’d go super lube. Which is worthwhile having. It is more compatible/plastic safe from what I’ve seen.

I had to lube a suitcase like that once, and I used corrosionx, which is a great product. It crept and destroyed the plastic/rubber portion of the wheels.

Silicone may work ok, but if it’s really lining metal bearings in a metal race, that isn’t a job for silicone as I recall.

Best solution for lubricating a Samsonite suitcase is a new Samsonite suitcase. They don’t last. Wheels are one of the weak points.

Want something that lasts?

Try a Travelpro. Replaceable wheels.

Or a Luggage Works bag that uses a metal frame and polyurethane inline skate wheels. Totally replaceable. Sealed ball bearings on a metal axle.

Not the plastic on plastic of Samsonite.

Samsonite will last a few dozen trips, which is plenty for the infrequent traveler.

Luggage Works will last a few thousand trips. Sure, it’s triple the price, but the price per trip is about a hundred times lower. And they can be rebuilt. With new wheels, new zippers, new frame parts, all replaceable.

My 22” Stealth has been in service for 12 years. No rebuild or repairs yet.

probably got something wound up in wheels and swivel,,as hair,clean it out using a very thin blade as for example a copeing saw blade between the axel and the piece it connects to,then some Tri-Flow as someone mentioned above.
I think I saw some type of material through the opening behind the swivel, could be hair. This would explain why lube isn't making a difference. I'll attempt a rebuilt soon.

Samsonite will last a few dozen trips, which is plenty for the infrequent traveler.
I've had them for 6 years now and up until the wheel issue and zipper slider being torn off, they were fine for our 3x flights yearly. Hopefully I can salvage these 2 issues to make it for a few more trips.

If not, the Travelpro will be next on the list. Thank you for the recommendation on these, they look heavy duty, being rebuildable is a luxury nowadays.

I’d go super lube. Which is worthwhile having. It is more compatible/plastic safe from what I’ve seen.
I'll have to get a can of this and Triflow and add it to my collection. Will be helpful when rebuilding, if possible. I'll post pics when I take the casters apart.

Back