BEST LOW COST Espresso Machine??

So the ultimate question: Cafe Lungo?
Maybe an Americano? Pull a shot with an ESE pod and then add extra hot water, the Gaggia Classic also has a hot water function through the steam wand. Ultimately, it is an espresso machine after all. My dad prefers a weaker, less intense caffe', so I do as previously mentioned with a shot of cream in a larger cup. Hope this helps, if not, I'll PM you my address and we can go through my collection until we find one that meets your needs :ROFLMAO: . At the end of the day, my original answer sill remains, Nespresso for it's convenience, reliability, cleanliness, consistency, quality and versatility.

Maybe an Americano? Pull a shot with an ESE pod and then add extra hot water, the Gaggia Classic also has a hot water function through the steam wand. Ultimately, it is an espresso machine after all. My dad prefers a weaker, less intense caffe', so I do as previously mentioned with a shot of cream in a larger cup. Hope this helps, if not, I'll PM you my address and we can go through my collection until we find one that meets your needs :ROFLMAO: . At the end of the day, my original answer sill remains, Nespresso for it's convenience, reliability, cleanliness, consistency, quality and versatility.
No Americano.

A longer pull, but not a double shot. Somehow the guys in Italy could do magic. "Cafe lungo per favore"

Just a hair less intense and just a bit more volume. Perfect.

No Americano.

A longer pull, but not a double shot. Somehow the guys in Italy could do magic. "Cafe lungo per favore"

Just a hair less intense and just a bit more volume. Perfect.
You can customize the water volume as you see fit with the Gaggia too. When your Saeco machine would make a lungo, it's just more water than your standard espresso, the same amount of coffee, 7g with just more hot water added to it. I imagine the baristas in Italy are doing the same thing, just manipulating the amount of water to coffee ratio.

I say go for the Classic Pro that @john_pifer suggested; leaps and bounds over this one; buy once, cry once. Mine is still cranking out shots like the first day. As a matter of fact, I've now brought it to the office to replace a tired Jura super-automatic. The Gaggia Classic is a workhorse, a real espresso machine.
Yeah, I agree. Just reading the reviews would scare a buzzard off an outhouse. All kinds of not exactly repairable or solvable issues and no CS support.

Wife = likes the shape. Doesn't like the Classic shape. Ugg.

I say go for the Classic Pro that @john_pifer suggested; leaps and bounds over this one; buy once, cry once. Mine is still cranking out shots like the first day. As a matter of fact, I've now brought it to the office to replace a tired Jura super-automatic. The Gaggia Classic is a workhorse, a real espresso machine.
I have to say, it is impressive, you said yours has been going for, what, 20 years?

The old fashion way is the best. I recommend SS over Al ( https://www.bialetti.com/ee_en/ ).

linea-musa.png

Purists may disagree, but the convenience and consistency of Nespresso is unrivaled, they make a great cup of espresso. They have many different machines to choose from and go on sale regularly. However, the ULTIMATE low cost machine is:
View attachment 184480
BINGO! Bialetti has made this for at least 50 years and never failed, for straight Espresso nothing beats its price.
All the new ones have a lot of features and bling, I have a Jura that does even belly dancing, but how often do I use
all the features it has?!

Breville makes a double boiler machine that has PID control for the espresso shots. A separate boiler for frothing. You can crank out shots and steam relentlessly for a crowd if needed. Above your price range but a real decent investment.
Breville makes excellent Espresso machines, I have 5 of their appliances (not the espresso machines though)

If you are open to coffee recommendation, try Zabar's Dark Espresso ( https://www.zabars.com/on/demandwar...Show?q=dark+espresso&search-button=&lang=null ).

Zabar's is an institution in New York City's Upper Westside. IIRC, their coffee comes in fresh on Monday so I normally have them ship out my order on Tuesday. If you purchase 4 lbs at a time, the shipping is free. It is less expensive than imported coffee such as illy's and easily just as good.

BINGO! Bialetti has made this for at least 50 years and never failed, for straight Espresso nothing beats its price.
All the new ones have a lot of features and bling, I have a Jura that does even belly dancing, but how often do I use
all the features it has?!
Makes delicious coffee - I brewed some Kenyan light roast this morning through ours for the wife and myself.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, however, Mokapot is not espresso (though it’s close).

Mokapot is typically around a 10:1 brew ratio, while espresso is 2:1 and brewed at 8-9 bar of pressure (typical filter coffee is about 16:1).

So there’s a pretty significant difference in the strength, and the extraction, and the amount and intensity of flavor that you get.

But, again, they make something that approximates espresso in a way, and when you get it right it’s delicious!

Breville makes excellent Espresso machines, I have 5 of their appliances (not the espresso machines though)
Breville should stick to toasters, etc. as their espresso machine lineup is disappointing, yes their dual boiler as well. They really should have a complaint forum as I have read tons of complaints with early failure rates with their units and mainly boils down to low grade components being used, even in their 'top end' BDB as they refer to it. The use of cheap o-rings cause the most failure issues that leads to electrical damage, rusting, etc. and one look inside of one and I wouldn't own it if it was FREE.

Yeah, I agree. Just reading the reviews would scare a buzzard off an outhouse. All kinds of not exactly repairable or solvable issues and no CS support.

Wife = likes the shape. Doesn't like the Classic shape. Ugg.
Gaggia makes a good/solid machine and most of their models are pretty much the same internally with a few tweaks depending on price point. Main thing is the aluminum/brass hybrid boiler/group design mandates decent water be used as dissimilar metals/heat will cause hardness to buildup in some water pathways as well as galvanic corrosion.

Your question of 'best' is highly subjective as there is no real world best, just what works for intended use, budget, how involved you want to be with the process, cleaning, maintenance.

Breville should stick to toasters, etc. as their espresso machine lineup is disappointing, yes their dual boiler as well. They really should have a complaint forum as I have read tons of complaints with early failure rates with their units and mainly boils down to low grade components being used, even in their 'top end' BDB as they refer to it. The use of cheap o-rings cause the most failure issues that leads to electrical damage, rusting, etc. and one look inside of one and I wouldn't own it if it was FREE.
Gaggia makes a good/solid machine and most of their models are pretty much the same internally with a few tweaks depending on price point. Main thing is the aluminum/brass hybrid boiler/group design mandates decent water be used as dissimilar metals/heat will cause hardness to buildup in some water pathways as well as galvanic corrosion.

Your question of 'best' is highly subjective as there is no real world best, just what works for intended use, budget, how involved you want to be with the process, cleaning, maintenance.
All other our Breville stuff works great BUT we did have a simple Breville boiler that died pretty early. They replaced it no charge, but the second one had maybe a 2-3 year life. We figured we would avoid for espresso machines.

That lower model Gaggia just looks like too much trouble. Aluminum/brass boiler? Avoid!

I know my question is very subjective. But the conversation is flowing. Your input is excellent as are the other posts.

I might use the machine once a day, every day. Wife a few times a week. Light use, so hassle factor needs to be low. With guests we would put it to use.

All other our Breville stuff works great BUT we did have a simple Breville boiler that died pretty early. They replaced it no charge, but the second one had maybe a 2-3 year life. We figured we would avoid for espresso machines.

That lower model Gaggia just looks like too much trouble. Aluminum/brass boiler? Avoid!

I know my question is very subjective. But the conversation is flowing. Your input is excellent as are the other posts.

I might use the machine once a day, every day. Wife a few times a week. Light use, so hassle factor needs to be low. With guests we would put it to use.
Will also mention the need to have a capable grinder and rather fresh coffee if you're looking for quality/consistent espresso. Now I won't go on and on about the need to spend thousands like some do as that's far from necessary.

You have READ? No personal insight? Another keyboard commando? I guess my question for you is how many Breville espresso machines are sold every year. What is the failure rate? I have personal experience with the silicone sealing gasket failing....it fails with extended use, it is a wear item. Takes 30 seconds to change and a few bucks to buy. I have owned Gaggia/Saeco/DeLonghi machines as a 40 year espresso consumer. They are about on par with the Breville as far as length of service. The nice thing about the Breville is I can find the internal parts from 3rd party dealers and repair the units myself, it is user serviceable. As far as internal rust? The stainless steel on my machines has never rusted. Like most espresso machine manufacturers, their thermal packs/ boilers/pumps/switches/ lamps/integrated circuits/tubing and hardware are built by vendors and have commonality with dozens of manufacturers. The only thing Breville truly builds is the skeleton and housing which holds these components. You should stick to your plastic Mr.Coffee and respond to topics that you actually have real world knowledge of. Rusty stainless? Cut me some slack!

You have READ? No personal insight? Another keyboard commando? I guess my question for you is how many Breville espresso machines are sold every year. What is the failure rate? I have personal experience with the silicone sealing gasket failing....it fails with extended use, it is a wear item. Takes 30 seconds to change and a few bucks to buy. I have owned Gaggia/Saeco/DeLonghi machines as a 40 year espresso consumer. They are about on par with the Breville as far as length of service. The nice thing about the Breville is I can find the internal parts from 3rd party dealers and repair the units myself, it is user serviceable. As far as internal rust? The stainless steel on my machines has never rusted. Like most espresso machine manufacturers, their thermal packs/ boilers/pumps/switches/ lamps/integrated circuits/tubing and hardware are built by vendors and have commonality with dozens of manufacturers. The only thing Breville truly builds is the skeleton and housing which holds these components. You should stick to your plastic Mr.Coffee and respond to topics that you actually have real world knowledge of. Rusty stainless? Cut me some slack!
Group gasket failure is the least of their worries, talking about the low grade o-rings their 'engineers' choose to use throughout the machine. You clearly have no real world idea. As well as the really cheap coating they use on the group that flakes off in time. Along with the very cheap internal parts that aren't readily available and some of those are proprietary. So go back and do your homework before barking up this tree. You simply have no clue and will leave it at that!

Just one of the thousands of failure/complaint threads. You buy garbage you end up with garbage...

Back