best atf for my 2000 silverado 1500 4wd

Status
Not open for further replies.
truck has 70k on it now and would like to do a tranny oil and filter change. Would like a synthetic that would help keep my tranny good for another 70k. should i use mobil 1, amsoil, rl ??. also how many qts do i need to change it and do the cooler bleed until fresh fluid is pumping? thanks for recommendations.

Amsoil ATF would get my recommendation, as I have had great experiences with it. If price and availability are issues, Mobil 1 ATF or Dexron VI (any brand) may be cheaper and easier to find.

The amount depends on which transmission you have, 4L60E (11 quart total) or 4L80E (14 quart total). Check your owner's manual to see what type you have. I would suggest getting the total plus two extra quarts since you're doing a flush.

Nobody knows what any fluid really is these days.

Feel free to use ANY brand synth DexronIII or DexronVI.
Grab at least 4 quarts more then the total capacity of your transmission.

A UOA on this 70k fluid would be interesting.

if you cant afford a flush AND buying 14 qts of atf fluid. just do "drain and fills" every oil change 3-5k miles over the next 4-5 oil changes and after that just do it every other to every third oil change.. thats what i do with my tacoma and it has 93k miles and no issues once so ever.. i think valvoline maxlife dex\merc would do great in your truck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back