Best alternator for 2001 Honda Odyssey.

I’m going to be replacing the alternator on my friend’s 2001 Honda Odyssey. The only two locally available are a Duralast from AutoZone and one from Napa,basically the same price,$200. Which one of those would be best?

Also what is the easiest way to loosen the tensioner pulley to get the belt off? I’ve already watched several videos on the alternator removal but it seems like when it comes to loosening the tensioner pulley it is always very vague. I’m guessing you can somehow use a wrench to pull it to get some slack where you can just take off the belt?

Frankly, I'd go to a boneyard and get a used one before I would utilize either of those options.
Rebuilt anything is only as good as the entity that rebuilds it. Probably the same entity rebuilding as cheaply as possible, placed in different boxes.
If there is no one local that can rebuild the one off the van, I'd source a Denso rebuild, either from Rock Auto or a different source.
Been burned too many times on Alternator rebuilds.

There are a few mom-pop rebuilder in the Dallas area.
I am not sure if they can rebuild that particular but if you call them, they will let you know.

If the alternator is original, perhaps look for a local rebuilder, if you have enough downtime.
Otherwise, make sure your purchase has a good warranty. Good luck.
Nope, doesn’t still have the original. She said it’s been replaced maybe twice. Her van has a little over 300,000 miles.

I’m going to be replacing the alternator on my friend’s 2001 Honda Odyssey. The only two locally available are a Duralast from AutoZone and one from Napa,basically the same price,$200. Which one of those would be best?

Also what is the easiest way to loosen the tensioner pulley to get the belt off? I’ve already watched several videos on the alternator removal but it seems like when it comes to loosening the tensioner pulley it is always very vague. I’m guessing you can somehow use a wrench to pull it to get some slack where you can just take off the belt?
This is the only non-OEM remanufactured alternator you want for the Odyssey:

DENSO Alternator

I have put two of these DENSO units in Odysseys 6 and 3 years ago, respectively. Both are still running flawlessly.

To take the serpentine belt off, it is easiest to use a multi-angle serpentine belt tool with a special shallow depth socket that will barely clear the inner fenderwell. You might be able to use the double-linked combination wrench technique from underneath. It is easier to have a helper manipulate the belt while you retract the tensioner, especially during reinstallation. Be sure to slowly "bleed" the tensioner's pneumatic damper 3 times per Honda's directions when reinstalling the belt. There are reported cases where a pulley bolt has sheared if this step is omitted, likely due to airlock within the damper.

There's a spot for a 14mm wrench or socket on the auto tensioner that you turn counter clockwise to release the tension on the belt to remove it. There's a serpentine belt tool that you can buy that makes the job quicker but it's possible with a breaker bar and short socket.

Skip ahead to the 2 minute mark on this video on the Honda J series serpentine belt replacement.

An example of a serpentine belt tool.

Thank you all who've responded with your help. I'm waiting for her to drop off her van at my place. I told her when I do the repair, she's going to be here with me to help me:) Even if it's only to observe, hold or hand me tools when needed, etc. It's a good learning experience for her. I always teach her how to do small repairs and maintenance on her vehicles.

FYI, lower alternator bolt likes the to break off or pull threads on that generation odyssey. It is a 10x1.25, iirc. I keep a timesert kit around for this.
In case you run into an issue:

My experience with “lifetime warranty” alternators is they last about a year and get replaced annually for the rest of the vehicle’s lifetime. you can roll the dice with Napa, or spend for denso, or go oem.

What you need is one of these:
521FA6C3-7745-4290-9BFB-25EBE3A15B6E__39448.1631919460.jpg

On a more serious note, I have all of mine rebuilt by a local automotive electronics shop. They do great work and I've never had an issue. They've rebuilt multiple alternators and starters for me.

My experience with “lifetime warranty” alternators is they last about a year and get replaced annually for the rest of the vehicle’s lifetime. you can roll the dice with Napa, or spend for denso, or go oem.
I threw an AutoZone lifetime warranty alternator on a minivan and it worked fine for 6 years until I sold the van.

Back