Best 30 weight oil for Kolher K301

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have acquired an older IH cub with a Kohler 12 hp K series. Their online manuels call for 30 wt oil. What would you go with with intervals around 25 hour changes? Thanks.

25 hrs in "severe" (very hot) conditions. 50 hrs for "normal" conditions.

Using synthetic vs. conventional (according to Briggs at least) does not allow the user to extend usage intervals. Keep a sharp lookout at the air filter too.

We have a Virgin Oil Analysis of Briggs & Stratton 30wt and it is very stout....lots of ZDDP. Any good 30wt detergent oil is probably "fine"

Amsoil Synthetic ASE 30WT is excellent.

Some choose Mobil-1 4T 10W-40 motorcycle oil in bigger "loose tolerance" engines & V-Twins..

Some have mentioned an HDEO 5W-40

Some like a 15W-40. like Rotella.. Delvac

I have used M-1 15W-50 Goldcap in a big V-Twin and it was very good.

I also used a 20W-50 and it was too heavy...just a feeling :)

Last edited:
How many hours do have on the Kohler. On a splash system lubrication(no oil filter) I just have a rule of thumb it's a severe application 25 hours OCI. Newer engines may have better fuel efficiency and may recommend 50 hours normal usage but I'm not that quite a believer on that. I just don't believe there is a normal service. It maybe they recommend that because as long as you have the proper level of oil in it you can't have a lubrication failure with a splash system provided in a mechanically sound engine. Of course with reasonable OCI which is 50 hours.

From experience I did have to step up to a 40wt(I rather use mono grade dino oil no cold starts) because of excess blow by from many hours of usage gave better protection. It ran a little hotter BUT I had to compromise the given problem. I believe this was the right thing. I can't see why going too heavy when it's not necessary, when the oil itself is used to cool the engine down but also providing wear protection it's a Compromise.

Synthetic oil will open up a broader spectrum than dino oil. I also believe many of these small engines can run on a lower viscosity given but manufactures are recommending a balance in wear protection and for cooling in air cooled environments.

Going too heavy or too light one needs to understand the environment of cooling and wear protection...small engines will never be perfect but one needs to Compromise this objective.

A woman I work with has a Hydro 630 with 1 cyl Kohler. (maybe 1982, 83ish) and she runs 30weight straight; I believe it is the CC oil; one change @ the end of the season (
Personally, I would run a straight weight.

Probably can't extend the OCI with synthetic since there is no filter...

i ran a k341 10hp circa 1976 overhaul 1500 hours ago runs like a champ. i am running m1 5w-40 right now. i broke it in with nd30wt, then some 40wt, at 50 hours it got red cap 15w-50 m1 / 10w-30 m1, 50%/%. at 800 hours i changed to the 5w-40 but have been using amsoil in the truck so i will switch to that in 10 hours.

Im not sure of the hours on this engine but Im going to guess it at around 600.

I will probably only run this thing in most cases about 30 hours a year or maybe 40. I have another mower for mowing and this is going to be my tractor to haul, blow snow, and pull my carts and so forth. It will also serve as a back up just in case. It is build like a friggen tank. The kohler manuel says 25 hours. It also says 30 weight although it was printed before synthetics became popular. I dont want to let it go over one year either.

Would say just regular pennzoil 30 wt be ok? The previous owner showed me he had been running Case brand 30 weight that he bought at the IH dealer. I have no clue who makes that oil. Im just trying to take care of it but not get into overkill as well. Most of the time the temps will be above 40 but there will be times I run it in colder weather. It says 30 wt is good down to 0 degrees on their chart.

Sorry for all the questions and so forth.

Mobil 1 15-50 is likely the best all around 30W replacement oil. The performance in air cooled, high temperature engines is stunning. Plus it's available at Wallyworld.

Even back in 1979, Case specified SAE 30 or 20w40 for temps above 30degF for the Kohler K241 10hp in my little Case 220. This would go for any K-series. I've got Rotella-T 15w40 in mine. For Kentucky summer heat, I'd use a 40wt HDEO in that "K" for sure. I wouldn't go $$ full synthetic in an old K. They burn kind of rich and dirty. You're better off changing more often like every 25-30hrs max.

Joel

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: nomochevys
Im not sure of the hours on this engine but Im going to guess it at around 600.

I will probably only run this thing in most cases about 30 hours a year or maybe 40. I have another mower for mowing and this is going to be my tractor to haul, blow snow, and pull my carts and so forth. It will also serve as a back up just in case. It is build like a friggen tank. The kohler manuel says 25 hours. It also says 30 weight although it was printed before synthetics became popular. I dont want to let it go over one year either.

Would say just regular pennzoil 30 wt be ok? The previous owner showed me he had been running Case brand 30 weight that he bought at the IH dealer. I have no clue who makes that oil. Im just trying to take care of it but not get into overkill as well. Most of the time the temps will be above 40 but there will be times I run it in colder weather. It says 30 wt is good down to 0 degrees on their chart.

Sorry for all the questions and so forth.

A lot of the small engines which I've seen has about 500-600 hours yearly. I like using a HDEO for example Delo 400 30wt. OCI is 25 hours but I've seen some go double. Oil wasn't pretty but the most important thing is oil level, you need to makes sure the proper level. After 10 years and thousands of hours it moved up to a 40wt.

Personally I don't like going 50 hours as the next oil change the oil gets dirty quickly since clean oil is being mixed with dirty oil. Long term usage is why 25 hours is used. Keeps the engine clean and with HDEO.

I have a K301 too and I just switched to Rotella Synthetic 5w-40. Engine seems to run excellent on it and seems smoother than before. And I'm a person who usually doesn't notice a difference between oils. It'll protect well in really hot weather, it'll flow well in really cold weather, it's a diesel-rated oil so it'll keep the engine really clean....just a fantastic choice for this engine.

I have quite a bit of the old red cap 15 50 mobile that was left over from my motorcycle days that I have no use for that I may give a try. I think the new is gold cap but I dont know what the difference is. Do you think this would be ok? I may give it a try. The previous owner changed it once per season with case/ih brand 30 weight its entire life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back