BERSA 22

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am unable to find the difference between the Bersa Thunder 22 and the Bersa Firestorm 22. They appear to be almost the same gun but? I Googled same and it appears to be cosmetic differences only. ed

Last edited:
Sounds like opel omega and caddy catera, made to appeal to a different audience.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
I am unable to find the difference between the Bersa Thunder 22 and the Bersa Firestorm 22. They appear to be almost the same gun but? I Googled same and it appears to be cosmetic differences only. ed

Yes, the same gun. The Firestorm series is carried by a few distributors, but the guns are the same except the Firestorm has finger groove grips.

BTW....these 22's are very ammo picky. Most people are only able to get them to run reliably on the very hot ammo such as the CCI mini mags. Your bulk box stuff will be a mixed bag usually.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein

Yes, the same gun. The Firestorm series is carried by a few distributors, but the guns are the same except the Firestorm has finger groove grips.

BTW....these 22's are very ammo picky. Most people are only able to get them to run reliably on the very hot ammo such as the CCI mini mags. Your bulk box stuff will be a mixed bag usually.

CCI Mini Mags are hard to find.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Originally Posted By: Robenstein

CCI Mini Mags are hard to find.

Well you need something equivalent to make this gun run well. Having a steel slide, the regular strength 22 just does not have enough recoil power to overcome the resistance of the heavier mass of a steel slide(versus alloy) and recoil spring.

Are you planning on buying one? And what is its intended function.
Its not a carry gun or a target gun.

Now I must say my bro in law has hundreds of guns and just collects them..has hundreds of thousands in them. So collecting would be reasonable.

Last edited:
I have one and it has no problems with any standard 22 ammo. If you try low power loads like CeeBees or shorts then you will not eject and this would be true for most any 22 LR semi-auto.

Originally Posted By: spk2000
I have one and it has no problems with any standard 22 ammo. If you try low power loads like CeeBees or shorts then you will not eject and this would be true for most any 22 LR semi-auto.

Your experience is the exception and not the rule with the Bersa. You will be able to find many reviews that echo my statement on the selective behavior of the gun in relation ammunition.

The difference is in the grip.

This is pretty much the rap of Bersa 22 reviews..

"The Thunder .22 is picky about ammo. Like a small child in the midst of a phase wherein he will only eat chicken nuggets – and only if they are in the shape of a dinosaur – the Bersa has its preferred flavors of ammo, and will let you know in no uncertain terms if it deems an offering unsuitable. It will cycle flawlessly all day on a diet of high velocity CCIs, and seems to digest Remington Yellow Jackets with no trouble either. But, like many .22 autoloaders, cheap ammo is the bane of the Thunder .22. When loaded with cheap bulk ammo, it will fire, usually, and cycle…occasionally. More often than not, though, the round will have insufficient energy to cycle the slide, leaving an empty casing in the breech, and requiring the operator to eject the magazine and manually cycle the slide, all the while swearing quietly. Splurge for the good stuff (if you can find it) and you’ll be fine." source= http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2015/01/daniel-zimmerman/gun-review-bersa-thunder-22/

With good ammo the Bersa is nice and accurate for a little .22

Last edited:
Mine likes the CCI mini-mags for ultimate reliability. If I were to consider it as any kind of self defense that would be an absolute must have.
For plinking it is not a huge deal. It is sensitive to spaghetti-wrist as it absorbs some of the energy needed for the slide to cycle.
The CCI blue box seem to be the best bulk I have found for less than $0.10/round.

High velocity .22's will ALWAYS cycle guns better than standard velocity. The more firm the action is cycled, the better reliability that will be achieved. It will also produce the most wear. As is always the case, you don't get something for nothing.

Originally Posted By: billt460
High velocity .22's will ALWAYS cycle guns better than standard velocity. The more firm the action is cycled, the better reliability that will be achieved. It will also produce the most wear. As is always the case, you don't get something for nothing.

This is true for many of the 22 pistols that use softer zinc alloy or aluminum slides. The Bersa is a pretty odd one in that it is built just like the 380 in regards to materials. If I recall the 380 weights something like only 2 ounces more. Indeed Bersa recommends you use hot ammo in these guns.

https://bersa.eagleimportsinc.com/bersa/firearms/thunder-series

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back