WM Everstart Value Battery, Out with old, In with the new.

Replaced a 52 month old Group 35 Everstart Value Battery with a new one last week. ~$50 for the old battery and it was still cranking a 3.0L V6 Accord. But as Ancel tester confirmed, time to go. Can see where the NoCo protector ring on positive terminal (left), pretty much eaten way. In my observation, rather typical for Clarios/Johnson Controls batteries after a while.
P1020455.JPG P1020449.JPG

New one now cost ~$70. As the vehicle 17 years old, another Value battery made sense. 'For me', the Everstart lived up to its name.
P1020453.JPGP1020454.JPGP1020452.JPG

Last edited:
I just pulled a value model group 24F out of my Xterra. Its almost 2 years old. Started OK, but the Ancel says its almost gone, and my daughter is taking this car, so she got a 24F Maxx. Mine didn't have any of the leaking, but I have seen that in the past with JCI batteries.

I have a 3 year old Max Group 35 in my truck that I will be replacing soon also.

I still think these walmart batteries are a good deal.

I just pulled a value model group 24F out of my Xterra. Its almost 2 years old. Started OK, but the Ancel says its almost gone, and my daughter is taking this car, so she got a 24F Maxx. Mine didn't have any of the leaking, but I have seen that in the past with JCI batteries.

I have a 3 year old Max Group 35 in my truck that I will be replacing soon also.

I still think these walmart batteries are a good deal.
Had a family member put a Grp 35 Maxx battery on a 17 Rogue about 3 years ago now. iirc. Where they live in eastern part of state, Everstart made by East Penn. I should see the vehicle this weekend, so going to put the tester on it and see what it shows.

I've got no complaints about Everstart, seem to be one of the better values in batteries out there.

Had a family member put a Grp 35 Maxx battery on a 17 Rogue about 3 years ago now. iirc. Where they live in eastern part of state, Everstart made by East Penn. I should see the vehicle this weekend, so going to put the tester on it and see what it shows.

I've got no complaints about Everstart, seem to be one of the better values in batteries out there.
I was in Virginia for work a month ago and stopped at walmart - they were East Penn there as well. If I had known I would be needing one I would have bought one there.

Here at Walmart their JCI.

batteries are heavy + wallys is said to get theirs fron a closer-cheaper supplier. my fronty takes the 35 + my interstste is 7+ YO + doing fine + is getting a shot from C-teck at the moment!

Replaced a 52 month old Group 35 Everstart Value Battery with a new one last week. ~$50 for the old battery and it was still cranking a 3.0L V6 Accord. But as Ancel tester confirmed, time to go. Can see where the NoCo protector ring on positive terminal (left), pretty much eaten way. In my observation, rather typical for Clarios/Johnson Controls batteries after a while.
View attachment 193157 View attachment 193158

New one now cost ~$70. As the vehicle 17 years old, another Value battery made sense. 'For me', the Everstart lived up to its name.
View attachment 193159View attachment 193161View attachment 193162
Just installed a Value 75 last month. Good deal for 70 bucks. 50 was better but won't go down that road...

I’ve never owned a car battery that lasted less than seven years and I buy the cheapest one that fits. The only battery I ever had that died before seven years was for my lawn mower. I preemptively replaced the battery in my Mazda and my tractor after seven winters because people here made me paranoid, but since I used the pulled Mazda battery to run a trolling motor all summer I’ve decided I wasted my money.

The Mazda factory battery was a Panasonic. When a seven year old starting battery can stand up to being used like a deep cycle you know it was a quality unit. I wish I could find someone who sold Panasonic batteries locally.

^^^^^^^Congrats on never having a battery that hasn't lasted at least seven years using the "cheapest one that fits". 'Afaik,' the topic Everstart Value battery is THE least expensive readily available battery on the market. If one is getting 7 years out the Everstart Value 1 year warranty battery, that's amazing 'imo'. I got 6.5 years on Honda OE JC battery and thought that was excellent for this climate locale. Also, I'm very satisfied with 52 month life I got out of the topic EvVal battery.

Since I mentioned the EP made Everstart Maxx Grp 35 on a Rogue, I did get to see it and put the battery tester on it. Below are results before and after changing on 2 amp NoCo charger/maintainer. It's already made the 3 year warranty period, so we'll see how much farther it goes. My reading shows the 2nd gen Rogue tends to be tough on battery life.

P1020457.JPG P1020458.JPG P1020462.JPG

I’ve never owned a car battery that lasted less than seven years and I buy the cheapest one that fits. The only battery I ever had that died before seven years was for my lawn mower. I preemptively replaced the battery in my Mazda and my tractor after seven winters because people here made me paranoid, but since I used the pulled Mazda battery to run a trolling motor all summer I’ve decided I wasted my money.

The Mazda factory battery was a Panasonic. When a seven year old starting battery can stand up to being used like a deep cycle you know it was a quality unit. I wish I could find someone who sold Panasonic batteries locally.
The Toyota dealerships sell them... but you're going to pay a fortune for one. They're good, but not good enough for the price. If you take care of your batteries there's much better bang for the buck out there.

^^^^^^^Congrats on never having a battery that hasn't lasted at least seven years using the "cheapest one that fits". 'Afaik,' the topic Everstart Value battery is THE least expensive readily available battery on the market. If one is getting 7 years out the Everstart Value 1 year warranty battery, that's amazing 'imo'. I got 6.5 years on Honda OE JC battery and thought that was excellent for this climate locale. Also, I'm very satisfied with 52 month life I got out of the topic EvVal battery.

Since I mentioned the EP made Everstart Maxx Grp 35 on a Rogue, I did get to see it and put the battery tester on it. Below are results before and after changing on 2 amp NoCo charger/maintainer. It's already made the 3 year warranty period, so we'll see how much farther it goes. My reading shows the 2nd gen Rogue tends to be tough on battery life.

View attachment 194834 View attachment 194835 View attachment 194837
I think most of the batteries I’ve bought have been from Walmart except for the few times Auto Zone or Advance had a really screaming good coupon sale. Recently I think Rural King has taken the lead over Walmart for cheap house brands, if you’re fortunate enough to have one nearby.

I think really good battery life will become increasingly hard to obtain since newer cars have so much more electronic stuff that needs to be fed. If I ran my incredibly simple tractor more frequently that battery would probably last forever.

I think most of the batteries I’ve bought have been from Walmart except for the few times Auto Zone or Advance had a really screaming good coupon sale. Recently I think Rural King has taken the lead over Walmart for cheap house brands, if you’re fortunate enough to have one nearby.

I think really good battery life will become increasingly hard to obtain since newer cars have so much more electronic stuff that needs to be fed. If I ran my incredibly simple tractor more frequently that battery would probably last forever.
Be prepared to either use a good size solar maintainer (plus sun to make it charge), drive it at least every couple weeks, or put a trickle charger on it. Two weeks is roughly enough to get resting voltage down to 12 VDC, then the bad things start happening…

I think a AGM might be a good solution for an infrequently used vehicle. From an unscientific test on my boat, the AGM self discharges at about 1/10 the rate of a normal flooded. I had both on my boat. The AGM after being on my boat (never charged) from May to Dec needed very little charging. The normal flooded needed overnight and more charging.

Kentucky pretty mild climate, not too cold, not too hot.

Thinking of using AGM all around...motor vehicles and a boat. Only concern is AGM charging algorithm compatibility on vehicles not designed for AGM batteries. Also does it make sense to replace marine battery with an AGM? Thinking probably NOT due to deep cycle requirements and heavy draw/discharge when starting a sailboat engine - Universal 25.

With the increasing cost of the Kirkland batteries, I may have to give these a try. Thanks for the report.

Side bar: I think Clarios may have solved the leaky terminal issue? I haven’t seen one with those leaks in recent years.

With the increasing cost of the Kirkland batteries, I may have to give these a try. Thanks for the report.

Side bar: I think Clarios may have solved the leaky terminal issue? I haven’t seen one with those leaks in recent years.
Gotta say, you're rather shocking me here with that admission. 😀

As for leak noted in OP, positive terminal leak wasn't a factor first ~two years of ownership. Only noticeable at some point after that. NoCo terminal protector did its job. But yeah, I think I got my money's worth 4+ years. One thing about JCI/Clarios Everstart, not up front about coo, can't find it. But, for price I can get past that and not that it would have made a difference.

You're welcome.

Kentucky pretty mild climate, not too cold, not too hot.
It's 13F right now and getting down to 7F tonight. That's too cold! :)

52 months for $70, let alone the prior $50 price is good enough... as long as it doesn't die suddenly and leave you stranded.

I may have to start thinking about their Everstart Plus or Value options as the Maxx group size I'll be needing soon has risen to $140... last couple I bought were closer to $100.

I've had several JC/Clarios over the past couple+ decades, all lasted at least 4 (usually 5+) years, and none had leaking terminals. The one I recall that lasted short of 5 years was in a vehicle with a more modern battery charging circuit that never charges it to 100% trying to eek out maybe 0.3% greater fuel economy.

Last edited:
Back