Battery service w/an eye.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went in after WalMart tested it at 394 CCA. Dealer checks CCA, and I'm a few under the rated 410, which I believe is sufficient of itself for replacement. They deny me on this basis (not low enough?) and then the techs don't return my car back to service (from the shop). I wander outside after 100 minutes to find my car sitting unattended in the middle of nowhere with the keys in it. I get in and take-off, about 1/2 hour before closing. Let them wonder where my car is, just like I did for an hour.

My car barely wants to crank. I went thru this with my RSX, a batt constantly dying that tests ok. I called Honda, and they said my situation is well within the dealer's discretion to replace it. Pretty much everything with Honda is a pita. The car is great, the after sale service absolutely sucks, esp at my "Mile One" dealership. I guess I'm hauling off to the next city for a normal dealer. Maybe I'll just sit in the parking lot with the seat heaters on for a while first.

In short, don't you think the black eye is enough to replace the batt, since they won't even add some electrolyte? Oh, 3 ounces of water is too much to ask.

It seems like the batt is chemically defective at this point.

Another test at another dealer. This was billed as an extensive amp-hour test. CCA was 364, lower than yesterday. Still, the machine said it was "good", this is despite the ominous black eye. Replacement denied, I got a bill for $23.

For what your time is worth, you probably could have replaced this by now.

I do like the idea of the larger tray and the V6 sized battery for your car.

Why are you ruling out a bad starter, or wiring to the starter?

It does not take a whole lot to start a 2.4L Honda.

Looks like the only one with a black eye is you, my friend.

I'm sorry, but if a battery is only reading 364 cranking amps, then it is junk. The dealer should have replaced it. If they don't want customers complaining about their battery, then remove the eye and don't give them the ammunition to complain. Simple as that.

I had it out with Honda Cust Service. They could not explain the disparity between the machine's test (GR-8) and the battery indicator eye's "test". Of course I trust the $3400 machine, but why wouldn't I trust the eye that is installed on the battery, esp since it tests the battery chemistry itself, something the machine does not.

Like Mike said, and like I told them, the eye is there for a reason. There is just no reasoning with them, logic has no substance.

Originally Posted By: bigmike
I'm sorry, but if a battery is only reading 364 cranking amps, then it is junk. The dealer should have replaced it. If they don't want customers complaining about their battery, then remove the eye and don't give them the ammunition to complain. Simple as that.

My friend's 2010 Mazda 3 has a factory battery that tested out in the low 300s range at the first oil change. The dealer said the battery was fine.
21.gif

If it was my car, I would have tossed it and replaced it with something else.

The pontiac vibes came stock with a 300-and-something CCA battery. Design flaw. Oddly it looks as big as any other "real" battery.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
The pontiac vibes came stock with a 300-and-something CCA battery. Design flaw. Oddly it looks as big as any other "real" battery.

Toyota likes to put in just enough CCA, and high RC for their batteries. My Panasonic 24F, had 500 some CCA, and 130 Min RC. The replacement DuraLast Gold in the same size, has 750 CCA, and 130 Min RC.

The use of just enough CCA allows them to use fewer, thicker plates, for longer life, especially for how weather, and maintenance-free versions.

To their credit, that Panasonic was 6 years old when I replaced it out of caution, it was still cranking, but AutoZone's tester kept asking for it to be charged and retested.
21.gif

I killed the 1st DuraLast Gold 3 months short of 3 years. Got a free warranty replacement. Last summer's record heat probably has something to do with that.

My car has auto off lights so neither battery saw any deep cycle event that required a jump start.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie

I could discharge mine a few times to kill it and then go in to Honda.

Now thats not honest!!!
31.gif

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
I had it out with Honda Cust Service. They could not explain the disparity between the machine's test (GR-8) and the battery indicator eye's "test". Of course I trust the $3400 machine, but why wouldn't I trust the eye that is installed on the battery, esp since it tests the battery chemistry itself, something the machine does not.

Like Mike said, and like I told them, the eye is there for a reason. There is just no reasoning with them, logic has no substance.

The problem is that if Honda likely requires a printout from the midtronics tester for warranty claims. And of course, the tester says your battery is still good. If they went ahead and replaced it anyway, if they ever get audited they might receive a chargeback from Honda.

Originally Posted By: Jonny Z
Originally Posted By: eljefino

Toyota likes to put in just enough CCA, and high RC for their batteries. My Panasonic 24F, had 500 some CCA, and 130 Min RC. The replacement DuraLast Gold in the same size, has 750 CCA, and 130 Min RC.

The use of just enough CCA allows them to use fewer, thicker plates, for longer life, especially for how weather, and maintenance-free versions.

To their credit, that Panasonic was 6 years old when I replaced it out of caution, it was still cranking, but AutoZone's tester kept asking for it to be charged and retested.
21.gif

Vibes got an AC Delco battery most owners complain about. While it might meet the spirit of your philosophy I'm sure they found a way to cheapen things out.

Coworker's OE Delco battery died by slowly leaking out the bottom.
frown.gif

I'm pulling the trigger on a WM Maxx for a V6, $75. Need to fix in a tray for it. Something like 680CCA/800A

My 6 years old Panasonic group 51 is still start the S2000 with the first push on Start button, may be because I added some distilled water 3-4 years ago.

I like to buy a larger replacement when it is needed, but there is no room around the battery area to install larger size.

I got this back from a tech at JCI:

The charge eyes that are in the Honda batteries are made by a company
called ITW Delpro.

Attached is the pdf for the 3 Stage 1 Ball and 4 Stage charge eyes. The 3
stage 1 ball is the charge eye that Honda uses. I hope this will answer
your questions.

and this cool link.

Charge_Eyes.pdf

I wanted something to show Honda that a back eye batt is bad. Imma just put in a WM Maxx 35, 800/680 $75 and get it over with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back