Bardahl No Smoke

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got some of this goo (heavy cyclic polar naphthenic?) to add to the subaru fill BC the havoline is proving to be a tad too thin and the engine is knocky and down on power and torque. I was hoping that this stuff doesnt have any EP or detergents and similar the old Motor Medic I have used as a thickener. I just got the msds and it does list the seal conditioner - similar to plasthal DTDA ester but no metal compounds. I wanted an add oil that wouldnt confound the additives in the havoline/chevron 5w-30. I warmed the stuff in a pot of hot water for a 1/2 hour to make it "somewhat " easir to pour. Still A honey warmed! Added it ( ~4 oz) to a hot crank case and washed it down the filler tube with a few oz of the 5w-30 and took her for a 5 mile spirited spin. Seemed to do OK so far. Lets see how it will cold start tomorrow at 15 deg F!

Ur subaru is knocky and down on power and torque? An 09 model, so ur engine is knocking and its a 09 model. Ur engine should not be knocking if its that new.

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
Ur subaru is knocky and down on power and torque? An 09 model, so ur engine is knocking and its a 09 model. Ur engine should not be knocking if its that new.

plus 1

Arco, you read WAAAYYY to much into the way your engine is sounding......it's an internal combustion engine - it's going to make some noise - it doesn't mean it's dying!

Originally Posted By: Russell
Originally Posted By: CourierDriver

plus 1

+2 Before I added anything to a knocky, down on power, and torque, 2009 Engine I would pay the dealer a visit and discuss the issue. Something is wrong, and pouring an additive into a new under warranty engine to try and resolve it could cause problems later on. Especially if a visit to the dealer is needed. JMO

I have been to the dealer 3 times and recently to an independant subaru master technician who managed the local dealer a few years ago. Of course the subaru dealer is deaf and hears nothing - saying, 'that's what the warranty's for". The Master Tech thought it was heavy wrist pin noise. AFA a new engine having problems, the turbo 2.5L have been blowing up left and right and Fuji even had a stop-sale last year due to crank bearings disintegrating due to manufacturing problems. My non-turbo was supposed to be immune. When I have time, I will try to get an appointment with a zone rep - as the dealer could care less and prob cannot make a warranty decision of this magnitude.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: addyguy
Arco, you read WAAAYYY to much into the way your engine is sounding......it's an internal combustion engine - it's going to make some noise - it doesn't mean it's dying!
Incorrect! A warm, pressure lubricated engine should be virtually void of any rod bearing or piston noise - when properly lubricated. Some valve train noise is to be expected on engines without hydraulic lash takeup. BTW this noise is like a engine with a spun rod bearing - not miniml by any means. Ive owned over 6 subarus and none made any bearing or piston noise warm.

I would be afraid of putting anything in the oil and giving them a way to divert the responsibility over to your end.
If anything if the dealer said he didn't hear anything i would want it to get louder.The zone rep seems like they way to go,but i would get that snot in can out before they do a UOA and void the warranty.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
I have been to the dealer 3 times and recently to an independant subaru master technician who managed the local dealer a few years ago. Of course the subaru dealer is deaf and hears nothing - saying, 'that's what the warranty's for". The Master Tech thought it was heavy wrist pin noise. AFA a new engine having problems, the turbo 2.5L have been blowing up left and right and Fuji even had a stop-sale last year due to crank bearings disintegrating due to manufacturing problems. My non-turbo was supposed to be immune. When I have time, I will try to get an appointment with a zone rep - as the dealer could care less and prob cannot make a warranty decision of this magnitude.

Sounds like a letter to Suburau Corporate is in order, and the area or regional rep should be involved. I know all about the service managers being selectively deaf, dumb, and even blind when they want to be. As I mentioned I would not put any additive in that engine just yet. That will give all parties invloved an exit and could leave you with a real mess. I've worked in 5 different dealerships, and can honestly say from experience the service writers where I worked were real tools. No disrespect to anyone here who is a service writer, I'm sure there are some good service writers. The few I knew where clueless. JMO

Trav - I dont think there is anything in the bardahl "motor honey" that an oil analysis could pick up. Just trying to keep the car running in the meanwhile. My wife commutes with this car on the interstate and a section of the highway has no breakdown lane since its being used as a travel lane during commuting hours. In the winter there is NO SAFE PLACE to pull over if she lost the engine! She would have to stop on the freeway in the travel lane. Idiotic, stupid state govmnt - the breakdown lane is important!

Last edited:
Your probably right.I just don't trust the car companies as far as warranty is concerned,it seems they look for any and all loopholes to get out of providing service.

We have Chevy 1500 4.3 here with a bad bottom end that had its oil change when the OLM came on (10-12K) the guy used Costal dino.
Now GM is refusing the warranty because the engine has very minor sludge (the bottom end was pretty clean)claiming lack of maintenance.
I agree it was probably penny wise and dollar poor using this oil but it does meet specs and he did follow their OLM.

Arco - Thick oil helps with rod, wrist pin, or crank knocks .
It's advantage is when the engine is warmed up, of course. When cold, the normal oil is WAY thicker than when hot.
OK. You all know this already.

I hope you have something is writing and not just verbal, at the dealership. [for the future] We don't know yet what the cause for the extra noises are.

Is it worse on a cold start, while warming up, or warmed up?
Is it load/throttle dependent? RPM dependent?

Originally Posted By: mechtech2

Is it worse on a cold start, while warming up, or warmed up?
Is it load/throttle dependent? RPM dependent?
Its worse when fully hot, worse at no load during the engine ovverun just before a shift. Sim to when a rod big end thast over clearanced makes a racket. NO noise with cold oil.

Originally Posted By: Trav
... ...

We have Chevy 1500 4.3 here with a bad bottom end that had its oil change when the OLM came on (10-12K) the guy used Costal dino.
Now GM is refusing the warranty because the engine has very minor sludge (the bottom end was pretty clean)claiming lack of maintenance.
I agree it was probably penny wise and dollar poor using this oil but it does meet specs and he did follow their OLM.
Just checked that coastal is on the GM approval list for 6049M. Did the guy go over 1 year w/o a change? That's the only stipulation I saw in my W/T 4.3l 4x4 manual. OLM or 1 year. I see no reason to deny coverage. On my W/t I did 5k oci or OLM whatever came first. The 5k always came first
wink.gif

I cant say if he went more than a year but the truck is an late 07 with 50k on it so i would have to guess not.This is a working truck and cant be down for weeks/months while he goes though hoops.
He is dealing with the zone rep also trying to recover some of the cost of a long block.

He should not have to pay a penny on thet repair. I'd be sitting in the service mgrs office with the owner/manager and if they say NO, start dialing my attorney - this is a breach of contract/warranty.

That's for sure.I just had to get it rolling again then he would take care of the problem.When this thing is down he loses money so his first priority was to get it back on the road.
A short block would have been fine but more time consuming so he went for the long block.

I've decided that Motor Medic by Gunk is preferred over the bardahl as a vicosity enhancer on healthey engines; the motor medic has zddp though (msds <50,000PPM). The Bardahl smells like old tranformer oil.

I've seen a lot of Subaru Engines making strange noise but just like others said, i would flush the stuff out and do any maintenance needed at your dealership! If anything explodes, they have the maintenance record so they cannot say you neglected the car...

Trav, my dad had a 03 Sunfire... GM are just plain [censored] concerning warranty work!! He purchased a prolonged warranty plan (80 000kms) and he had to argument hard with the service manager when they diagnosed a failed injector at 79 7xxkms, saying that it was near the end of the warranty (Ehh!) and that GM would probably not approve that work!! (Ehhhh!! x2) And that's only one of the time he got to argument in order to have warranty repairs on that F--king POS Pontiac... I'm not talking about the failing strut top plates bearings, or broken coil springs, or rear lights that got flodded with water, failing ignition coils, failing fuel pumps (numerous!!)..... Thinking 'bout that car again around here makes us angry!! lol

Sorry 'bout the bad english!! :p

Marko!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back