Ball joint quality?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to replace the lower ball joints on my Dodge Dakota pickup. AAP has TRW ball joints for about $55.00 each and they have "OEM Brand" for $39.00 each. I'm just wondering if anyone here has any idea what the differences are between the two, other than TRW being a name brand. Is there any difference in build quality or anything? I would think an "OEM Brand" would last at least as long as my own OE ball joints, which lasted 123,000 miles.

Any info is greatly appreciated.

There are often high and low friction designs for the same part.
Make sure you get the same - feel them and look! The same box can have different parts inside!
In general, get the expensive ones, especially for a truck.
Over 5 years or more, it is smart, and the extra $ is inconsequential.

Last edited:
I just had to replace a lower ball joint in my 05 dakota. I had it done at a trusted shop, and ended up spending $235 all together. I wanted to get both ball joints replaced, but they said it was crazy because it wasnt common that these things go bad, just a freak thing. The one that went bad lasted to 94k. When you say "OEM Brand" do you mean Mopar, originally on the truck or another brand that claims to be of OE quality?

The brand name on the part is "OEM". I haven't seen it yet, but it's on the AAP web site. I have seen the OEM brand on some of the tools they sell at AAP, but I don't remember seeing it on any actual car parts.

I've seen the same -- the name they use is literally "OEM" or "OES". Like "MTC", it's almost a fake brand. They'll use the name on the cheapest part they can find, regardless of its suitability.

The name is deeply misleading -- even if you know about it, you can be tricked. A place with enforced consumer protection laws would never permit that as a brand name.

"When you bought that you should have known that 'Pure Drinking Water' was just our brand name for bottled sewage"

Last edited:
I have read some good things about TRW, have been impressed with and heard good things about MOOG, and I have seen very positive reviews of Spicer parts among the off-road and truck crowd especially. SPicer is now sold under the Raybestos Professional Grade label. Just look for the most expensive Raybestos!

K

Hmmm I wonder if it's the same OEM as the OEM three jaw puller I bought a while ago. Thing broke an arm when I was pulling a rotor off, not much excessive force. Nearly broke my face I did.

Don't go cheap on those joints otherwise you'll be changing 'em early again like I had to...

Originally Posted By: djb
I've seen the same -- the name they use is literally "OEM" or "OES". Like "MTC", it's almost a fake brand. They'll use the name on the cheapest part they can find, regardless of its suitability.

I agree. If its the same "OEM" as the one that sells tools, its a cheap Chinese part.

Reminds me of the "Yusay" battery our old Civic came with.

The "OE brand" are just white box parts from China. TRW is probably well worth the extra $ IMO.

Well I bought the OEM brand parts anyway. Yes it says Made in China right on the box but they look to be very well made, at least as good as the original Dodge ball joints. The old ones lasted over 120K so I hope to get some good use from these new ones. The new ones are greasable too, not sealed like the old ones. These were the only ones they had in stock at AAP anyway and to be honest spending over $120.00 on ball joints is not in my budget right now. I had a $10.00 off coupon so the new pair cost about $72.00 including tax. I just spent nearly $200.00 last weekend on a new fuel pump and not long before that I replaced both front brake calipers, pads and rotors too. Seems here lately like the parts that wear out are wearing out all at the same time. I just hope I can get the rivets ground flat and drilled out on the old ball joints without too much trouble.

TRW makes good quality parts, they are OEM for some Volvo chassis parts, I recently replaced a pair of outer tie rods with OEM Volvo (made by TRW) at 155k miles.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jimmy9190
Well I bought the OEM brand parts anyway. Yes it says Made in China right on the box but they look to be very well made, at least as good as the original Dodge ball joints. The old ones lasted over 120K so I hope to get some good use from these new ones. The new ones are greasable too, not sealed like the old ones. These were the only ones they had in stock at AAP anyway and to be honest spending over $120.00 on ball joints is not in my budget right now. I had a $10.00 off coupon so the new pair cost about $72.00 including tax. I just spent nearly $200.00 last weekend on a new fuel pump and not long before that I replaced both front brake calipers, pads and rotors too. Seems here lately like the parts that wear out are wearing out all at the same time. I just hope I can get the rivets ground flat and drilled out on the old ball joints without too much trouble.

I would have gone Moog. I NEVER cheap out on safety components. And the parts that keep your wheels on the ground and your steering working are pretty important to safety
wink.gif

TRW or Moog. The chinese cant even make childrens toys correctly, I for one will not trust them to keep my steering in tact and wheels on my car. Gamble with safety for the sake of a few $$ if you want to, not this cowboy.

I've used their "OE" stuff on saturns b/c they were 1/2 the price of TRW. Pretty junky. Talking $13 for a tie rod end... that was off a bit in length from the previous one, needing alignment. You can also get "OE" off ebay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back