2002 Silverado 5.3L 2wd Ball Joint recommendation

Own a 2002 Silverado 5.3L (1500) 2wd.

Looking for solid upper and lower ball joints (front control arms).

Anyone know if Mevotech or Moog make good ball joints for GM trucks.
I found ball joints by Kryptonite but the lower ball joint that is offered is not the "bolt on" ball joint assembly, it appears to be the ball joint by itself that gets pressed on to the lower control arm. The lower ball joint assembly on my truck is riveted to the lower control arm so not too sure if a special tool is need to press on the ball joint by itself. https://kryptoniteproducts.com/coll...ducts/kryptonite-lower-ball-joint-6-lug-truck

Any advice or recommendation is greatly appreciated

When making decisions on ball joints take a look at the bushings on the control arms to make sure they are good. Sometimes it’s easier to replace the control arms already equipped with ball joints and new rubber bushings. I replaced the lower ball joints on a 2010 Silverado and purchased a ball joint installer to press it into place. I would not even attempt to remove a ball joint from an upper control arm as it’s much more difficult. Watch a few You Tube videos.

If the cost of new Control arms is prohibitive, take look at Mevotech Supreme. Mevotech haters are usually thinking of the ones from 10 years ago. The Mevotech Supreme upper arms on my son’s 2010 are still fine, years later. Good luck.

Last edited:
I just ordered Mevotech Supreme for my 2010 Silverado. A few friends recommended them. I've also have used Moog Problem Solver front end parts with good luck.

After reading lots of good reviews I bought Mevotech TTX control arms for my 2014 Sierra. Haven’t installed them yet but they seem well built and have grease fittings.

It wasn’t a whole lot more to buy the whole control arm vs just ball joints

Kryptonite products, not much more than parts stores, but carry full lifetime warranties. any lifted GM truck should have their parts in the front end.

The 2002 is interesting. AFAIK, the lower ball joint on the 2WD are riveted and the replacements have four bolts. On the 4WD they are a pressed fit.

On both the 4WD and and 2WD the upper ball joinst are pressed fit.

Here are Mevotech Supremes for 2WD, in CDN dollars. Enjoy.

49A34811-978E-4B31-974E-DB71C312AA17.jpeg
B1258CA5-6462-4C0C-8066-A816B3808D8D.jpeg

Back