Bad case of oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are the chances that the six pack or case of your favorite name brand oil is not even close to meeting factory specifications? Do you think it happens in this day and age? How often do you think the big boys sample there oil to see if it measures up to there specifications?

Do multi-billion dollar companies run simple tests on their oil is what you're asking?

Do you really think they're just refining oil to make it cleaner and less looking like crude oil?

crazy.gif

I mentioned this once before, but all they have to do is show the process is capable of producing a compliant product and the need for sampling is lessened. It is called SPC, Statistical Process Control.

Simply put, do you check the sharpness of your lawn mower blade if it cuts the lawn nicely every week?

There is quality control on each batch AFAIK. Saw Royal Purple doing it on one of their youtube videos, if they are doing it the bigger guys probably are too.

A few months ago I was at the local wall mart looking at the oil when I noticed that the paper labels on two quarts looked like someone had spilled used oil all over the paper labels and then wiped them off with a dirty rag. I had heard stories of people carefully opening a bottle of oil so as to not break the seal between the cap and the ring that normally breaks loose and stays on the bottle. So knowing that the seal does not necessarily mean that the factory oil is still in the bottle, I pointed out the questionable bottles to the store manager. He agreed with me, and removed those two bottles. He also commented to me that some one could have purchased that oil and if they did not know any better could have ended up dumping that used oil into their engine.

Anyhew, the point is that along with worrying if the factory has kept the oil within specifications, another thing to worry about is if the oil is even the same oil that the factory put in the bottle.

And any store that accepts returns on oil can be victim to these jerks who don't give a darn about who ends up using what ever they chose to put in the bottle.

Originally Posted By: Camprunner
What are the chances that the six pack or case of your favorite name brand oil is not even close to meeting factory specifications? Do you think it happens in this day and age? How often do you think the big boys sample there oil to see if it measures up to there specifications?

All of the big blenders have a [censored]-load of quality certifications they must maintain. There are very strict process requirements. It's not something they can really slack on. Go read up on the various QS and ISO/TS certifications to see what's involved.

That being said, production variances will happen. The range of acceptable variance is NOT something they will tell you. I think we've seen enough VOAs on this site to agree that 5% or more isn't completely out of the question.

The only thing you, the consumer, should really worry about is tampering. From time to time people are known to return used oil in a new jug. This is pretty easy to spot when you notice the oil looks dirty and the tamper seal is broken.

Oh my... Now you're going to have some people here doubting what is actually in the bottle and taking a VOA of every jug of oil before they put it in their car to verify it has the stated ppm of this and that.

Originally Posted By: Camprunner
Do you think it happens in this day and age?

I would say it's very rare, but does happen. XOM had some problems in the SM days. Look at the latest PQIA testing with the Noack warning for the Ashland product.

As for tampering, for those who buy products that don't use foil, one can always buy by the case, be it a case of 12 single quarts or a box of five quart jugs.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
this is why the silver seal should be used on all oil jugs, I try to buy the brand of oil with the seals for this reason.

I agree. I was unpleasantly surprised to see there was not a foil seal on the Pennzoil Platinum I picked up (because of the fuel rebate).

this is why the silver seal should be used on all oil jugs, I try to buy the brand of oil with the seals for this reason.

What oils come with the silver seal?

Originally Posted By: rustypigeon

What oils come with the silver seal?

The 5 qt jug of M1 5w-20 on my shelf has one. But the single qt bottle of the same stuff doesn't.

I think some folks just worry too much
Do you worry if ghat is really mayo in the jar you buy?
The mustard?
The milk?

Originally Posted By: Dallas69
I think some folks just worry too much
Do you worry if ghat is really mayo in the jar you buy?
The mustard?
The milk?

You buy foods that had the safety seals removed? That's pretty gross.

As for motor oil, coolant, atf, windshield washer fluid, I usually find myself reaching for a key or something to poke the foil seal. So my surprise at not finding one on the pennzoil jug was just that, surprise.

Quart and jugs of PP come with a break off ring on the cap. It's pretty easy to tell if the container has been opened.

Just inspect the cap before purchase. Especially so if you're shopping at Walmart.

For what it's worth, I purchased a couple of quarts of Super Tech 10W-30 from Walmart a while back and everything looked fine, put it in 2 small engines on riding mowers and used it for a little while. When I checked it again, the oil was milky white, like water had gotten in. It was very foamy too. Never had this problem before or since with these two engines, it hadn't even rained since I put that oil in. I don't know what was different with that oil but I assume a whole batch got screwed up. Popped some NAPA oil in and all was well, no foamy milky white nonsense. In my mind, I swore off Super Tech but guess who just picked up a 5-quart of Super Tech High Mileage oil.
smile.gif

water can get into the oil containers without the silver seals oil can also leak out.. Like i said i prefer the silver seal i know mobil has the seal and i thought the new super tech has the seal on the jugs but im not 100% sure.. There are more but i ont remember which ones

it is not so easy the cap can become loose and leak oil or maybe something can get in someone can also in some cases if they are really sneaky remove the cap and put it back without anyone knowing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back