Back to conventional oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: GatorJoe
OP,

Look, there's no reason to be so difinitive, there's application for both types of oils, and you may want to take advantage of that.

I've used PCMO synthetic oils, and conventionals in several of my cars, and those along with HDEO oils in my Jag, and my cars have been no worse for it. I've run 7,500k miles on the synthetic oils, even 10K miles on M1 HM in my Jag and all is good. I'm now liking the QS Defy in both of our current cars for the quiet, smooth operation and the SL rating it has that corresponds to the manufacturer's recommendations. This is not to say that I won't go back to synthetics and the longer OCIs.

It's all about knowing what's in your sump and keeping your OCI adjusted to it.

IMO, keep your options open. You may want a longer interval in your future.

Very open minded, logical, rational post.

I've never once said,nor do I believe engine life will be extended using synthetic lubricants. I'm positive that conventional oils when changed at a proper interval will provide an engine with just as long,and reliable life as a synthetic,also running a proper interval.
In my personal case I use conventional hdeo's in my bikes since I'm not interested in the least at trying to extend an interval,knowing that I'll just have to change the oil more often.
In my cars it's convenient knowing I don't have to get under it in the middle of January to change the oil because I'm using a synthetic.
And in my climate as well as my driving habits the extra little bit of headroom a synthetic offers is also nice.
If syns were for some reason gone tomorrow it wouldn't bother me.
As far as conventional oil and high miles I had an 04 ram hemi quad cab 4x4 last winter. I got it with 240k. The service records indicated all oil changes done by the dealer and it got bulk conventional 5w-20 it's entire life.
That truck ran like new,didn't consume a drop of oil between changes and it's the entire reason I bought my charger. Once I saw with my own eyes what the hemi was capable of and how well it ran at those miles buying another was a no brainer for me.
I totalled it at 270 or 280k and it broke my heart. I towed trailers and cars across the prairies and mountains with that thing and never did it even hiccup.
Great truck.
So I've no doubt that conventionals protect just as well during normal engine operation and will contribute to a long reliable engine life,but for me it's all about value for the dollar spent and that's all I care about.

Agreed Clevy, there is an oil for every driving style and OCI.

Last edited:
...but as long as I can pick up synthetics for (VSP nextgen for USD$13.99/jug) how can I not use it. Special at AAP.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Sure they can however on sale they aren't 11 dollars a jug,their synthetic counterparts can be had for 22 bucks a jug.

It seems the good deals on conventional are much less common than the good deals on synthetics these days up here. But, Mobil Super 1000 and Formula Shell from the distributor are a pretty decent deal.

Originally Posted By: Garak
But, Mobil Super 1000 and Formula Shell from the distributor are a pretty decent deal.

Mobil Super 1000 is only good for a 1000 miles. You guys would be better off ordering Mobil Super 5000 from the U.S.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: Garak
But, Mobil Super 1000 and Formula Shell from the distributor are a pretty decent deal.

Mobil Super 1000 is only good for a 1000 miles. You guys would be better off ordering Mobil Super 5000 from the U.S.

...with marbles.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

I'm fairly certain they're the same product - I know, you're giving me a tough time. Besides, miles are illegal up here. They behead you for using them.
wink.gif

No. Our Walmarts have Rotella, of course, but also a the entire Castrol line of HDEOs. For Delo, Husky/Mohawk are the distributors in Western Canada, and Delo stuff can be readily found at some trucking outfits.

Originally Posted By: Red91
I'd be interested in obtaining this supposed "Yeti Blood", although I really have no immediate use for it.

It's found in a few additives,it improves cold flow pumpability in -40 and colder climates.
For warmer climates you want unicorn tears. That stuff lowers noack and improves polarity,improving the oils ability to maintain an oil film on the parts at shut down.
And lest we forget dragon snot which increases an oils flashpoint and is a must where oil temps will run elevated such as track conditions or sustained high speed operation like the autobahn.

Originally Posted By: Nederlander75
Originally Posted By: Zaedock
Originally Posted By: Hyde244
1. Starting in -10 degrees Fahrenheit
2. Hooning your engine up the Himalayas
3. 10K OCIs

These are reasons to run synthetics.

-10*F is nothing for conventional.

People tow up mountain ranges without issue on conventional all the time. I've been up I70 in the Rockies with Nextgen and NAPA 5W20 conventional.

There have been quite a few instances posted here where conventional did fine in excess of 10K miles. In addition, how many people here actually use their synthetic to it's full potential? Very Few. Some change it at 5K.

My car made some interesting noise very briefly starting in -12F in January on conventional 5w30. After switching to 10w30 conventional the next -12F day no more noise.

I have tracked this same car in div>

+1

Originally Posted By: wemay
It's a no brainer for me.
When I can buy jugs of syn on sale for less than regular priced conventional it makes absolutely no sense buying conventional.

Conventionals can be found on sale just as easily as synthetics...

Sure they can however cost per mile is how I figure this out.
Best price on sale for PP I've seen is 25 bucks a jug. That nets me 10000 miles.
Best price I've seen for conventional jugs is 14 bucks which nets me 5000 miles.
Conventional costs more per mile.
Lately best just price for syn is around 28 bucks. In fact I bought 10 jugs of m1 0w-40 a few months ago for just under 300 out the door at Canadian tire.
Lately I havent seen any conventionals on sale for less than 18 bucks plus taxes. So again running a conventional costs more.
Now conventionals also create more deposits however they are very good at cleaning them up as well however this leads to the filter getting loaded faster. Synthetics tend to leave less deposits thus the filter loads up slower which helps me achieve 20000 mile tough gaurd fci.
If it cost me less to use conventionals then I most certainly would. In fact I am using rotella t in my harley with a 3000 mile interval. I'd use syn if I could get the cost per mile lower than conventional however my Harley is highly modified and being air cooled and running real hot,especially since the big bore kit I'm not comfortable extending the drain interval past 5000 miles and with that interval conventional costs less per mile even once the shorter interval is factored in.
For me I am looking for the best value for my dollar.
Conventionals protect every bit as good as synthetics in everything but the more extreme operated engines so it's not that I fear they are inferior especially if run for 5000 miles however for me it's all about the numbers. And those numbers are my dollars and I'd rather have them in my pocket however I'd I do have to spend I want to stretch that dollar as far as it can go

I agree with everything you've posted Clevy. I just don't see most people in the 'post your latest oil change' thread, extending their synthetic to 10,000 miles. Most change their oil between 4,000 and 7,500 miles, be it synthetic, blend or conventional.

You've never bought oil in Canada. Regular price for pyb is 30 bucks a jug. So even at half price that's 15 a jug.
Pp and qsud are 45 a jug. Half price is 22 a jug.
You tell me what's the better value.

Walmart Canada Pricing:

QSGB 5L = 27.00 / 2 = 13.50
QSUD 5L = 48.00 / 2 = 24.00

CanadianTire Pricing

QSGB 5L = 28.00 / 2 = 14.00
QSUD 5L = 51.00 / 2 = 25.50

From what I have read and from the few UOAs I have done, synthetic oils appear to last about %50 longer and I make use of that. When you factor in the cost of the oil and filter [most people are going to change the filter at the same time] and the labour involved in changing the oil, it makes economic sense to use synthetic. I’ve also noticed my car turns over faster, in cold weather, with synthetic oil which probably translates to less wear and lower fuel bills.

In my situation it doesn’t make sense to use conventional oil.

I don't think I want to go 10k oci with synthetic oil. I rather go 5k oci. Cost is only $6.17 in difference.

Option 1. Mobil 1 synthetic + oil filer = $31.17
Option 2. Mobil super 5k + oil filer + Mobil super 5k + oil filter = $37.34

I like option 2 which allow me to do 2 oci at 5k miles, and pay $6.17 extra.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back