Back to conventional oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont care whats on sale. I use synthetic and change my oil every 5k miles (get bored leaving it longer lol). Honestly you can run dino or syn and with consistent reasonable oci's your engine will outlast the rust, transmission or boredom etc of said car. I buy 25$ jug of syn, a fram tough guard or other midrange filter and I change my own oil for 30$ total cost. Cheaper than dealer, and i enjoy doing it. The low flow properties is what I like, easier to start, and car warms up quicker.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Originally Posted By: Clevy
It's a no brainer for me.
When I can buy jugs of syn on sale for less than regular priced conventional it makes absolutely no sense buying conventional.

Conventionals can be found on sale just as easily as synthetics...

I've not found that to be true. I've amassed more oil than I can use for a few years by just picking up $3 top of the line synthetics at AZ. I've not seen any dino on sale. Even if I could get dino at a buck, why fret about it for a $10 difference per change.

When I can buy jugs of syn on sale for less than regular priced conventional it makes absolutely no sense buying conventional.

Sure they can however on sale they aren't 11 dollars a jug,their synthetic counterparts can be had for 22 bucks a jug.
Due to the syns ability to handle double the mileage over conventional,and considering winter conditions here are roughly equal to the North Pole synthetics are a better value based on dollars per mile.
Conventionals would have to cost half as much in order for it to be monetarily equal not to mention my labour and time.
And considering I like to stretch the hemi's legs fairly often I like knowing I've got a better product in my sump.
Now don't get me wrong,I'm not knocking conventionals at all and if the dollars per mile worked in conventional oils favour I'd use it,but it doesn't,so I don't.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette

I've not found that to be true. I've amassed more oil than I can use for a few years by just picking up $3 top of the line synthetics at AZ. I've not seen any dino on sale. Even if I could get dyno at a buck, why fret about it for a $10 difference per change.

I don't agree with you often however on this post I gotta add a +1

[/quote]

There have been quite a few instances posted here where conventional did fine in excess of 10K miles. In addition, how many people here actually use their synthetic to it's full potential? Very Few. Some change it at 5K. [/quote]

I use synthetic because I use a rooftop carrier and most of my trips except for vacations are 1-3 miles each way and I live in the Northeast. The synthetic oil is protecting my engine. Isn't that its potential? To protect your engine? I change it twice a year. I pay $10 extra a jug for the synthetic vs the dino. How wasteful is $20 per year for what I consider extra protection from heat and or cold starts and short trips?

I have, many times. Last AAP sale from three weeks ago had Havoline black bottle for 12.99/jug plus a filter, for example. Not saying that syns cannot be found for great prices, but some folks prefer not to pay 'slightly' more, do extended oci, or wait for specials.Nothing wrong with that.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette

I've not found that to be true. I've amassed more oil than I can use for a few years by just picking up $3 top of the line synthetics at AZ. I've not seen any dino on sale. Even if I could get dino at a buck, why fret about it for a $10 difference per change.

Trust me you have not looked hard enough. I have not paid over 3.00USD for a quart of oil for years.

Sure they can however on sale they aren't 11 dollars a jug,their synthetic counterparts can be had for 22 bucks a jug.
Due to the syns ability to handle double the mileage over conventional,and considering winter conditions here are roughly equal to the North Pole synthetics are a better value based on dollars per mile.
Conventionals would have to cost half as much in order for it to be monetarily equal not to mention my labour and time.
And considering I like to stretch the hemi's legs fairly often I like knowing I've got a better product in my sump.
Now don't get me wrong,I'm not knocking conventionals at all and if the dollars per mile worked in conventional oils favour I'd use it,but it doesn't,so I don't.

Ok, I get where your coming from. In your situation, it absolutely makes sense. In my situation, where Hyundai doesn't spec a synthetic but mandates a very conservative oci, it doesn't. I use syn because I have a small stash of it, but after that, I will probably use a low ash conventional or dexos blend.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KrisZ
I went through the same thing. After not seeing anything special with synthetics, I'm using dino now.
Synthetics are definitely being overhyped on here.

I agree it is way overhyped on here, I only use synthetic if I can get a name brand for less than $18. I always find it funny when someone ask for a oil recommendation and they even state not looking for a synthetic. And still there is always several post saying use M1 or use PP. QSGB, MS5K, and VWB works great for me and that $10 I save by not using syn goes towards a 6 pack of cold brews to enjoy while I change the oil.

Originally Posted By: dave1251

Trust me you have not looked hard enough. I have not paid over 3.00USD for a quart of oil for years.

I have to agree.

My car and truck get syn oil. Its overboard I guess considering that neither the car or the truck call for it but the car has a di engine and I am in a northern climate . Plus the short trippin me and the wife do im sure the syn oil helps with that somewhat. I don't go for longer drains but I Just believe syn is better.

As long as we all use at least what's spec'd for our vehicles, we can choose to use whatever type of oil we like or feel comfortable with.

You've never bought oil in Canada. Regular price for pyb is 30 bucks a jug. So even at half price that's 15 a jug.
Pp and qsud are 45 a jug. Half price is 22 a jug.
You tell me what's the better value.

Agreed...I like Dice...Marbles is a kids game.
Don't like no noise / metal shredding dry synthetic.
Don't like no plastics in my oil.
I like me a more natural 140 VI.
Mobil Super 5000 10w30 and PYB 10w30 are excellent.
PYB 10w30 is just outstanding.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: toneydoc
Since you do not run the sportster often, ever thought of selling it? Let me know if you do. Bob

Actually I have been thinking about selling it. It's a really nice bike and I thought that I could make it work but the ergo's are just terrible for me.

Synthetics have a better add pack. Look it up on PQIA.
The price gap between conventionals and synthetics is small.
Syns can go a longer drain interval, which also means less labor and less filters to buy.

Most threads like this is just an attempt to justify the choice of choosing conventionals, trying to make the case "but they are just as good". PQIA facts speak otherwise.

Originally Posted By: bigdreama
I have now completed the full cycle from dino to synthetic and back to dino.

There are several reasons for this but the main reason is that oils that are labeled as synthetic oils in the U.S. may be synthetic or they may not be. The oil company marketing firms can pretty much claim whatever they want to.

I drove an 88 Toyota pickup for over 335,000 miles and it ran like new when I sold it in '97. I currently drive the Civic in my sig line with 220,000 miles and both vehicles were bought new and run with conventional oils.

I change my own oil and am not a fan of long oil runs which is one of the selling points of synthetics. Dino oils are better than ever with great additive packages and reasonably priced. Most people don't even keep their cars long enough to see the perceived benefits of synthetic oils anyway.

All thoughts, comments and disparaging remarks are welcome and encouraged.
wink.gif

It all sounds fair enough to me.

This^^

The Ultra in the Forester was FAR.
The G-Oil in the '02 Accord was FAR.
I have another two jugs of FAR Ultra along with five or six more of FAR G-Oil as well as twenty five quarts of FAR QSUD.
You can often find very good deals on synthetic.
If it costs no more to use than conventional, then why not use it?

I used to run M1 in my DD (94 Bonneville) as was I was driving a lot and using synthetic I wouldn't have to change the oil every 6 months. Now that I don't get out as much, I switched back to conventional (VML Blend) and normally just change it every few years. The engine wearing out is the least of my worries in this old beater. Don't kid yourself though, synthetic oil is better in every way except price. But in many cases, conventional is good enough. If I owned a Turbo or DGI engine, I would pay the money and only use synthetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back