avg free

Status
Not open for further replies.
AVG Free became so bloated and laggy i haven't used it for the last 3-4 yrs, I think.

Now I have MSE and Malware Bytes and CCleaner.
should be more than enough for most people. (XP or 7)

I run AVG free on one computer and Comodo's free suite on another. AVG is becoming more and more annoying. I think I'm going to uninstall it and go with Comodo AV on both machines.

I've used Microsoft Security Essentials on my home and work computers for years and never had a problem, so it seems to do it's job just fine. What else do you need?

I agree with the above, AVG free became annoying and almost on the verge of becoming malware itself with popups trying to get me to buy upgrades. I uninstalled a year or so ago and love MSE.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
I agree with the above, AVG free became annoying and almost on the verge of becoming malware itself with popups trying to get me to buy upgrades. I uninstalled a year or so ago and love MSE.

i had the same problem with avg free ,that is why i went back to microsoft security essentials ...

thank you for the good feedback ..regards Browning

I tried uninstalling it last night, and again this morning and it locked and crashed my system twice. I'm going to download their tool or manually pick it clean from my system if needed. I'm done with them, their 2013 version is garbage IMO.

Use their tool; I've generally had good luck with it in the past when AVG wouldn't remove itself.

Picking it clean yourself could get tricky, even if you remove all of the AVG files, there's still going to be a bunch of registry entries.

Very hit and miss with avg last few years then after them screwing up peoples boot sector decided to say goodbye forever. Using avast and VERY happy. Ms essentials is good as well.

No one program finds them all. I use AVG Free, MSE, MRT and Spybot. All I generally find are tracking cookies unless one of the kids visits an off-site.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Use their tool; I've generally had good luck with it in the past when AVG wouldn't remove itself.

Picking it clean yourself could get tricky, even if you remove all of the AVG files, there's still going to be a bunch of registry entries.

I used the tool, then checked the registry and there was a ton of junk remaining. I plucked as much as I could, a few lines couldn't be removed. Everything is fine now, and I'm done with AVG.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: Miller88

I used the tool, then checked the registry and there was a ton of junk remaining. I plucked as much as I could, a few lines couldn't be removed. Everything is fine now, and I'm done with AVG.

With my Windows XP, when I uninstall anti-virus programs thru "Add & Remove" in my Conrol Panel, I will always afterwards Click...
Start
Search
Look for Files and Folders
.... then type-in "AVG" and do a search.
I wil even advance it by looking in hidden files and folders.

Wherever I locate 'AVG', I delete it - right there on the spot. I've done this with AVG, McAfee, Norton, Avast, Avira, Ad-Aware....etc.

I am running MSE right now. Someday I might try Comodo.... heard that one was very good and somewhat-easy on XP resources.

ESET take the least CPU resources and the smallest memory foot print. They say its written in assembler rather than a higher level language like C++ or Java.

Real programmers program in assembler (or PLX).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back