Avast! no good? Got some viruses on 2 PCs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi and Happy New Year!

I recently downloaded free 2010 Kaspersky Rescue bootable CD. Scans outside Windows environment for the deepest scans. Can be found by googling.

I scanned 4 PCs at home and 2 come back with several viruses, mostly trojans hiding in the Java cache. One is Vista Home and one XP SP3 Home.

Here is the kicker, both have free Avast! installed up to date with frequent scans (configured to start every time screen saver activates). All PC have software firewall and are behind the home network hardware firewall (router).

The other PCs that were not infected are XP SP3 Home and XP SP3 Professional using free 2010 AVG and Symantec corporate AV, respectively.

Before I totally condemn the Avast, both infected PC are used by kids and I guess their browsing/facebook habits are not the safest.

Should I get rid of Avast?

Also, can I disable the java cache?

I recommend that you give the free Microsoft Security Essentials a try after uninstalling Avast.

Link To Microsoft Security Essentials

Change the check for update time to when you may have the computer on.

The free CCleaner should help you Clean up stuff like Java Cache.

You can find the latest version here.

Link to download site for CCleaner

Make sure under Applications to put a check mark in Java.

Download and install the latest versions of both Java and Flash for your system.

I haven't used anti-virus software since 07. Don't click yes on anything and don't double click .exe's.

I read once a person with no virus protection and their computer was virus free because they didn't visit bad sites. or opened bad email.

Dont click on a link you dont trust most of the time you be okay.

Most of time I think its a conspiracy some of these same virus companies making viruses so you need their product. I get cynical sometimes on this computer stuff. I am not serious but it makes you go hmmmmmmmmmm.

Most virus protection is bloat software that slows things down which is not appealing. I do scan for virus and spyware with free stuff, never really had a problem. Even cured a laptop with that dreaded xp virus protection software that tries to make you buy their product. All with free stuff out there, I fixed my laptop.

Oops beast3300 beat me to it by a couple of minutes... we thought the same obviously.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: casperfun
I read once a person with no virus protection and their computer was virus free because they didn't visit bad sites. or opened bad email.

Dont click on a link you dont trust most of the time you be okay.

Most of time I think its a conspiracy some of these same virus companies making viruses so you need their product. I get cynical sometimes on this computer stuff. I am not serious but it makes you go hmmmmmmmmmm.

Most virus protection is bloat software that slows things down which is not appealing. I do scan for virus and spyware with free stuff, never really had a problem. Even cured a laptop with that dreaded xp virus protection software that tries to make you buy their product. All with free stuff out there, I fixed my laptop.

Oops beast3300 beat me to it by a couple of minutes... we thought the same obviously.

Yes! but you explained alittle more, good show!

Last edited:
Yes. You should get rid of Avast.

And yes, you can disable the java cache.

I have been using kaspersky for a bit over a year. Best protector I have used.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: beast3300
I haven't used anti-virus software since 07. Don't click yes on anything and don't double click .exe's.

You could also just leave the power off and never get a virus.

How can you do anything if you never double click an exe?

Hummm... kind of making me feel like dumping AVG and load in Microsoft Security Essentials, after reading this one and a few other prior posts.

All I use is MSE.
Like some other people, the last time I got a virus on one of my machines was...never! Now the machines used by other people but I "take care of?" Thats a whole different can of worms.

Originally Posted By: Errtt
Hummm... kind of making me feel like dumping AVG and load in Microsoft Security Essentials, after reading this one and a few other prior posts.

After you remove AVG by going to add/remove software make sure to download and run the the following file from AVG to insure it is completely removed.

Link to AVG Removal Tool

Then install Microsoft Security Essentials. Make sure to change the update time to one where you may have the computer on.

If you ever have had McAfee or Norton stuff on your computer at one time, they have a removal tool too on their web site which will insure that all of it has been in fact removed.

SrDriver

The link to the AVG Removal Tools - it shows about a dozen things. How does one know which to use?

Also, besides removing from the Control panel, under programs, I have the AVG Uninstall option, by AVG.

Thanks

SrDriver

The link to the AVG Removal Tools - it shows about a dozen things. How does one know which to use?

If you have a 32-bit operating system, use the first file. If 64-bit, use the second file.

Originally Posted By: tmorris1
Originally Posted By: beast3300

You could also just leave the power off and never get a virus.

How can you do anything if you never double click an exe?

My desktop is on 24/7 with always on cable internet. I meant downloaded exe's. You know, download a mp3 or something and there is a exe in the folder.

What AVG issues are you referring to? It works fine in one of my PCs and I had it (various versions of course) for over 7 years. I may need to check the M$sE out though.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek

What AVG issues are you referring to? It works fine in one of my PCs and I had it (various versions of course) for over 7 years. I may need to check the M$sE out though.

Wasn't having issues,just after reading other posts/replies, seems there were better options that are more effective.
But I do notice this morning that this laptop (netbook) is faster loading up pages - maybe AVG was sucking more resources than I thought. But I had the AVG extras too.
SrDriver replies with the links worked without a hitch. Thanks SrDriver.
Maybe after work today, I'll dive into it a little more. I thought I had MMSE to also load their firewall, but I'm not seeing it. I used to run ZoneAlarm firewall, well still do on one of my other computers. I removed from this computer a few weeks back and haven't got around doing anything - was going to test out the Komando (think that's right) but I think I got into a ball game then instead of staying on track, like last night watching football & some computer time at the same time. Off 2 work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back