Autozone Duralast Gold Brake Pads

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I spend on my brake pads isn't an issue. I want my car to stop. And, you will appreciate that if you've ever driven down a mountain, or drive aggressively!
I'll stick with upgraded pads, if available, for my cars. I won't install generic cheap pads on any cars that I work on. I also won't do hack slap on pad replacement without replacing or turning rotors, bleeding thoroughly, lubeing, torquing, antisqueal spraying..........

Also, I don't care for how pads wear the rotors. Rotors are cheap and there is no excuse not to change them every couple of brake jobs. Most of my rotors last 100k+ without issues regardless if I used organic cheapos, semimetallics, ceramics, kevlar, or any other blend of pad material.

Concerning the Autozone pads, rumour has it they roll off the Satisfied assembly line, meaning that they are good OEM equivalent replacements. I wouldn't bother with them but you buy what you can afford. My life is worth an extra $20 for upgraded pads.

Quote:
"Concerning the Autozone pads, rumour has it they roll off the Satisfied assembly line, meaning that they are good OEM equivalent replacements. I wouldn't bother with them but you buy what you can afford. My life is worth an extra $20 for upgraded pads. "
Actually made by Federal Mogul in Smithville, TN.

pads dont need a warranty except for craftsmanship and defects. If your pads wear out at a reasonable rate, thats usually not because of a 'defective' pad. Last I checked, brake pads are comsumable; they wear down when used. All these lifetime pads are usually for defects and craftsmanship, not 'if the pads wear becuase thats how they're designed'

Carbon-kevlar pads are good, porterfield R4-S are great carbon-kevlar pads, usually around $100-$150 set front or rear. Other companies make carbon kevlar pads like EBC, but the porterfield R4-S are much better pads then EBC.

My favorite pads as of late have been Hawk HPS pads. They stop very well when warmed up a bit on my 94 civic. Next I will try Cobalt GT Sports either that or Carbotech bobcat or panther+. Panther+ supposed to have more bite than cobalt GT sports and more bite than Hawk HP+.

I dunno guys, I'm jumping in late but Iv'e had nothing but brake **** w/ Autozone pads. Noisy, eating rotors, dusty. Went back to OEM on all my cars this last time. No problems whatsoever..

I'm now an OEM brake kinda guy......

I use OEM brake pads on my chevy truck because I didn't have very good luck with aftermarket pads on previous vehicles. I buy mine online so the price isn't too bad.

Wayne

I'm giving Autozone Duralast rotors and brake pads (gold ceramic) a go on my '99 Taurus. I have 31,000 on this set and the rotors are shot (not Duralast brand). The pads are about 1/2 worn. With a jug of brake fluid and a can of brake cleaner I only spent $116 so I'm pretty happy.

I have Hawks HPS and I absolutely HATED THEM. They have almost no bite unless you really step on them, in a way it is even worst than my OEM pads (Nissin).

I was using Axxis/PBR Ultimate and I was very impress with it, except they dust like ****. My friend who help me drive on a road trip was freaked out by the braking power before I warn him about the bites.

I don't know about AutoZone pads. They're hella rude to me so I won't spend any of my money there anymore.

I did, however, install a set of Advance's Wearever Platinum Ceramic pads on our Malibu about 1,000 miles ago.

For $45 I HIGHLY recommend these over any house-brand pad I've used. Very linear, quiet, and dustless. FF rated for my app.

Originally Posted By: mshu7
I would say ceramics are probably harsher on rotors than semi-metallic pads.

I'm not sure that you'd want to go for the pads that are the easiest on rotors. I would think that it would mean the pad would wear away very easily (faster). You'll just end up buying brake pads more often.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Actually it's the semi-metallics that are harder on rotors.

I would get better pads if I could.
Akebono ProAct Ceramic pads are the best for simillar money.
(my fronts were $43.00 shipped from FCPImport.com for my Outback. )
The pads are silent, have excellent stopping power, but linear, not too grabby. They easy on the rotors, and make no brake dust.

I can't say the same about the AZ Duralast pads.
I've used them a few times before, and they are not my favorite.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: georgemiller
This is my 3rd set of Duralast couldn't be happier.

I've use them for brake jobs I do for other people and everyone loves them. I always get the best pad they sell so it's usually the Gold or the Cmax's.

My personal preference is Raybestos Advanced Technology.

I also like Hawk street pads. The people who complain about Hawks are using the wrong pads on a daily driver (they put on race pads tha have to be hot like on a race track!) and it's not the pads fault.

Duralast Golds are a great pad for 99% of the population. I've used them, and I put them on the brake jobs I do for people and they work great. Stay with Gold or Cmax.

I use the Duralast Cmax brake pads on my 2007 GT500; they perform well, are quiet and reduce brake dust significantly. I hear Akebono pads are good too, but they don't make them for my car.

Last edited:
I just did the brakes in a 2000 Ford Explorer 5.0 for the second time in 2 years. I originally put Autozone Duralast Gold pads in. They were pretty ho-hum. When they wore out after two years I took them back to AutoZone for warranty replacement and the ones that the guy gave me were very impressive. The packaging was superb; the pads were individually wrapped in brown paper and the quality of the materials (from an aesthetic standpoint) was superb, up to OEM quality in my opinion. A great deal too because they're a lot more expensive now than they were back in 2010! I think they're $40 vs. the $20 or 30 I paid back then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back