AutoGuide.com midsize sedan article.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Boy, there's a fair bit of cheap looking/poor fitment happening with the interiors of some of those cars..... The top of the Sonata's steering wheel looks like it was just "stuck on" there....
sick.gif

The Accord however looked pretty nice
thumbsup2.gif
As did the Passat and Mazda 6. Though I think the brakes on the 6 look too small for the wheels.

Sucks that the Fusion wasn't able to be tested. This is one of the biggest and most comprehensive comparos I've ever seen.

Sadly, I forgot about the Fusion...

Also they should've put the Malibu in there, and also another one to compare would be the Avenger.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
.... Though I think the brakes on the 6 look too small for the wheels.

Yes, 19" wheels are simply too big for the car.
lol.gif

I've driven the Mazda6, and agree with what other BITOGers write about it. It's a fine sedan - good handling, good power for the MPG potential, really nice automatic transmission. Trouble is, inventory is perpetually low, local dealer will hardly move from their asking price.

I'd like to test drive the Passat. Made in Tennessee, spacious, etc, but it's a VW which can spell trouble. Anybody here own a current generation Passat with the old 2.5 engine?

The extremely tight scores on all of the cars, but especially the top handful, really demonstrate that you can't buy a bad midsize sedan these days. Take your preference based on any number of subjective metrics and be a happy camper.

For what it's worth, my top three picks, just from this list, are the Volkswagan Passat, Honda Accord, and Subaru Legacy.

Originally Posted By: BearZDefect
I'd like to test drive the Passat. Made in Tennessee, spacious, etc, but it's a VW which can spell trouble.

I agree. I think they look like the nicest car out of the whole bunch but I couldn't bring myself to buy a VW.

In the end the Subaru AWD won me over.

Originally Posted By: redhat
Sadly, I forgot about the Fusion...

Also they should've put the Malibu in there, and also another one to compare would be the Avenger.

They said Chevy and Dodge declined to provide vehicles.

Originally Posted By: glock19
I'd like to test drive the Passat. Made in Tennessee, spacious, etc, but it's a VW which can spell trouble.

I agree. I think they look like the nicest car out of the whole bunch but I couldn't bring myself to buy a VW.

In the end the Subaru AWD won me over.

There's no reason not to buy a modern VW. Just as reliable as the Japanese & Koreans, save for the super-highend stuff like the Phaeton, A8, etc.

BTW, the Passat we get here in the US is totally different from the ROW one.

The 2.5 is being replaced by the 1.8t. it makes the same HP and slightly more torque but the torque starts lower in the rev range. VW is saying the economy will improve about 16 percent.

2014 VW Information.

My single complaint with VW's 2014 changes is that the 1.8 is not mated to a 7 speed DSG but to a 5 speed automatic.

The Accord Sedan is available with a 6speed manual, but only in the sport trim and only in black or grey. (Hello where is the Milano Red?)

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
My single complaint with VW's 2014 changes is that the 1.8 is not mated to a 7 speed DSG but to a 5 speed automatic.

Will manual trans still be an option in the Passat?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
My single complaint with VW's 2014 changes is that the 1.8 is not mated to a 7 speed DSG but to a 6 speed automatic.

Will manual trans still be an option in the Passat?

I don't know, you can currently build a SEL 1.8t on VW.com and it mates only with a 6 sp auto (sorry I incorrectly said 5 sp earlier) But I do not think you could ever get an SEL with manual. A manual still shows on certain other trims with a 2.5.

Originally Posted By: dparm
There's no reason not to buy a modern VW. Just as reliable as the Japanese & Koreans, save for the super-highend stuff like the Phaeton, A8, etc.

I am not in the VW circles so I'll show my ignorance with a silly question:
Is it possible to replace the battery of a modern non-high-end VW (like the Passat) at home and have it work afterwards with no special tools or electronic gadgets?

I love reviews like this and others. This is my favorite segment of vehicles and what I typicaly buy. They're just getting better and better. I used to be, Honda ONLY(and some Toyota), for quite some time but, I don't want to miss out on the other Mfg's offerings.

Great driving dynamics is what I like with good overall feel in the ride, steering, brakes, seat comfort(not just for me but, passengers too), good MPG and with a reasonably quiet interior thrown in! It doesn't have to be the quietest interior of their segment(BUICK) but, I don't like too much road noise.

Although, I would have liked to see the Fusion and Malibu just because. From other articles(& online vidos) that I've read/viewed, they would have finished mid-pack but, there could have been some surprises here too!

Yea, they're getting better and better all the time allowing me to get so many qualities all in one vehicle...

...good MPG with some sports car abilities, non-harsh rides, seat comfort and cars that can hold the family. And I know that none of these cars are slow, many rivaling old V8's of 20-30 yrs ago in 0-60, 1/4 mile etc.

All with 4 cylinders and weighing in at over 3,200 lbs.(and more) and getting between 25-29 mpg in mixed/spirited driving as in this test.

I am not in the VW circles so I'll show my ignorance with a silly question:
Is it possible to replace the battery of a modern non-high-end VW (like the Passat) at home and have it work afterwards with no special tools or electronic gadgets?

I'm not up to date, but I did replace the battery in my '04 VW with no issues.

supton, thank you for your input.

Does anyone know who makes the 6-speed automatic that is paired with the 2.5 engine in the current Passat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back