Auto-Rx in Low Milage 1.8T VW

Status
Not open for further replies.
The wife's car is a '01 turbo beetle and has only 14K mi after
4 years. Used Amsoil 0W-30 at first, now Amsoil European 5W-40 since it's inception. Oil changed twice per year.

A relative with a 1.8T (mounted lengthwise can't remember car model) has had a MAJOR oil sludge issue while on a trip. He
actually had to leave the car and rent one to get home. Very low oil pressure. (synthetic oil changed 2X/yr. 30K miles.

Seeing this I have some Auto-Rx that I want to treat our 1.8T with.
I will change the filter and add the Auto-Rx. How long can I leave this stuff in there? It will take my wife 6 months to run the 1500 miles for the treatment phase and probably that long to do the rinse phase.

Is this OK?
Thanks,
Craig

There are 2 chances that you have a sludge engine, slim and none. Run the Auto-rx if it will make you feel better.

It does not matter how long the 1500 miles take in the cleaning phase. Based on other reports of 1.8 motors and sludging, I would error on the side of caution and run the ARX. Follow up with a 2000 mile dino run for a rinse. Besides the ARX isn't doing much for you in the bottle.

Like Rick20 said it doesn't matter how long it takes to go the 1500 mile rinse phase. I would follow it up with using LC to help prevent the sludge problem and keep it under "control".

mechtech,
No it's a gas 150hp. Wife drives it like a little old lady.
Thanks,
Craig

Your wife's VW Beetle 1.8T IS NOT ONE OF THE VW SLUDGERS. I wouldn't waste a good bottle of ARX on it.

Save the ARX for an old beater that needs cleaning up.

On the Beetle, just keep using synthetic oil, & change it at reasonable intervals. If you do that, your wife's VW 1.8T Beetle will never sludge up.

I would still run the ARX. Normally some deposits are created during break in. Its normal to have hot spots in a motor as rings seat, ect. Deposits tend to grow, so why not clean it up now.

I wouldn't worry about sludge with your maintenance history.

If there is room for the larger VW oil filter, use it too. Its the fix/preventative for the small sump(A4/passat) sludgemonsters.

Is sludging in turbo motors common?

Mostly due to not letting the motor cool down enough after use. Older Audi's had this problem. A turbo timer should take care of that problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back