ATF fitting

What are the odds I can get this fitting out, and find something to replace it with? I put a 21mm wrench onto it, but was afraid to put real muscle to it, as it was slipping, and the coolant isn't all that cool.

1688850221992.jpg

There's a pinhole leak here somewhere... steady stream. I have not replaced the rubber line but there appears to be corrosion (blue-green) around fitting, like dissimilar metal reaction. I'll run to the parts store for ATF rated line and hope for the best? I did not see any split in the line nor crack.

Amazon has the radiator for $100... Denso no less... but I did that like 5 or 6 years ago already! 1999 Camry I4 automatic.

I kinda need the car for the week. :(

Dorman usually has fittings available for most, according to Autozone they carry them for $4.

RockAuto is probably your best bet if you end up needing a radiator.

Dorman usually has fittings available for most, according to Autozone they carry them for $4.

RockAuto is probably your best bet if you end up needing a radiator.
Not seeing at Autozone? at least not what says it fits / matches.

Amazon has the radiator, but it says Thursday for delivery. Rock has it for less but not sure on shipping. Might JB it (what do I have to lose?) then order the cheapest option. It is due for a timing belt, maybe do all at once.

Edit: bad memory.
1688852893847.jpg

I’ve had pinholes like that too and I put the hose right over the top of the pinhole and clamp it tight until you can find the part you’re looking for. I’ve also taken some of my parts over to a radiator shop and they made it for me. These shops do radiators, gas tanks, fittings for transmissions/coolers, high pressure power steering lines etc. Usually at a very reasonable price. The shop I use even made the whole high pressure power steering line for a Lexus that I had. Lexus one at $345, he made it for waaaay le$$. The whole thing crimps and all. Every bend was perfect.

Last edited:
That hose fitting is what has the pinholes?
Was the hex head you turned the female on male threads which are part of the radiator?
Patch as needed for driving now but it's rotten. Get a new one.
Or maybe your new radiator will have one on it already.

Denso 2210500.jpeg

How are those fittings threaded on the end? Are they female threaded? How are the copper pieces on the tank threaded?

Last edited:
The hose end is a slam dunk. It's the threaded end that's an unknown. It's some kind of inverted flare but what form?

If this is the part, I would just get another radiator:

The hose end is a slam dunk. It's the threaded end that's an unknown. It's some kind of inverted flare but what form?

If this is the part, I would just get another radiator:

I saw that part, but it doesn’t quite look right—and cheaper to get the whole radiator. Which I did four years ago! sheesh, something not made right there.

View attachment 165725
How are those fittings threaded on the end? Are they female threaded? How are the copper pieces on the tank threaded?
In that photo, what is copper is steel on mine, and I did not turn out. The outer ”nut” I took out.

That hose fitting is what has the pinholes?
Was the hex head you turned the female on male threads which are part of the radiator?
Patch as needed for driving now but it's rotten. Get a new one.
Or maybe your new radiator will have one on it already.
Yep to all. Needed to order a timing belt kit anyhow.

I have made those already from tube in a pinch, drill the old line out of the nut, 45 degree double flare on one end and a bubble on the other for the hose to seal.

In that photo, what is copper is steel on mine, and I did not turn out. The outer ”nut” I took out.
So are you saying the nut that you turned with the 21mm wrench is more like a flare nut in a sense by being separate from the tube?

So are you saying the nut that you turned with the 21mm wrench is more like a flare nut in a sense by being separate from the tube?
21mm was the larger one, 19 was smaller one. Not sure where the flare was but the nut was sealed to the tube. And the tubing was rotted away from the nut from some reason.

21mm was the larger one, 19 was smaller one. Not sure where the flare was but the nut was sealed to the tube. And the tubing was rotted away from the nut from some reason.
Is the nut supposed to be part of the tube, or a separate part? That's what I'm getting at.

Is the nut supposed to be part of the tube, or a separate part? That's what I'm getting at.
Believe it is pressed in. I did not try to remove.

I was thinking it was something similar to this with the tube corroded to the nut:

With the appropriate flare and thread form:
  • 30 deg = JIS
  • 37 deg = -AN, SAE, JIC
  • 45 deg = SAE
I'm guessing it's a JIS 🤷‍♂️
Might work? The mating looked very flat but I did not look closely at the part in the radiator either.

Back