ATF as fogging oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I run out of fogging oil. I have lots of old miscellaneous lubricants that I would be willing to use up for fogging.

I googled CRC 5-56 and sounds like no go.
I googled for ATF and sounds like many people use it for fogging. I'm waiting for a blessing from BITOG.
Thanks!

We used MMO as a fogging oil. For under $5 for a qt I'd get some instead of using the ATF. As an added benefit if you remove the spark plug and pour a little into the cyl, and pull the cord a few times it will have all winter to soften up the carbon on the piston top.

Originally Posted By: ADFD1
We used MMO as a fogging oil.

Well, I don't have MMO, so will probably not use it.

Who are "We"? US Navy?

I've used MMO for years, great stuff. One thing I've noticed, everyone gets worked up on fogging the engine and I think that sometimes it is not necessary and overkill. Notice I said "sometimes." In your case, living in Alabama, you'll probably have your boat back in the water by late April, which is about the same as here in Oklahoma. With that being said, an engine sitting for only about 6 months, IMO, doesn't need to be fogged or even Stabil-ized for that matter. Drain the block, hit all the grease zerks, put the outdrive down, jack up the trailer if stored outside and covered, and then take out the battery. Done.

Mix MMO with TC-w3 at a 50-50 Ratio and fog with that.
Fogging oil will foul your spark plugs. TC-W3 and MMO
will not. The TC-W3 will coat your cylinder walls and the MMO
will soak in to any carbon in the combustion chamber and
you will blow it out in the spring.

Neither mmo or atf have anywhere near the additive useful for storage as motor oil does, fogging oil is basically motor oil in a can.

MMO in the fuel before storage might be a good thing though.

On an 2 cycle outboard you need more than just oil down the plug hole to protect the crank bearings. Why spray fogging oil into a running engine until you can't stand the smoke or the plug fouls is your best insurance.

Tohatsu has a study somewhere (if I find it I'll post) about oil ratio's and storage time. In short the more oil in ratio the longer it it will store. 100:1 was only advised if the motor was used weekly for example, 50:1 monthly and so on.

Wiley: I don't believe we were talking about an outboard motor.
I thought this was for an sterndrive that was carburated.
On an outboard I can see your point. Modern fuel injected
inboards and sterndrives are fogged by hooking up and running
them on a seperate gas tank with a mix of outboard motor oil
to fuel at a ratio of 8:1.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
Originally Posted By: ADFD1
We used MMO as a fogging oil.

Well, I don't have MMO, so will probably not use it.

Who are "We"? US Navy?

We as in family friends and Shipmates. Not sure what the Navy uses, but I'm sure it would be good!

oops, one post talked about "pulling the cord", and another about "lowering an outdrive" so I didn't know. MMO or atf still isn't the best storage oil, better than nothing I guess?

I'll add new oil in the crankcase to the "good for storage" if were talkin inboards.

Originally Posted By: BUBBA0420
Wiley: I don't believe we were talking about an outboard motor.
I thought this was for an sterndrive that was carburated.
On an outboard I can see your point. Modern fuel injected
inboards and sterndrives are fogged by hooking up and running
them on a seperate gas tank with a mix of outboard motor oil
to fuel at a ratio of 8:1.

Yes, this is about Merc I/O carburated sterndrive.

I guess ATF could do a job, but there are better ways. I opened my Merc manual and the fogging instructions are different compared to what I heard on the web: running a 1:12 TWC3/gasoline mixture from a remote gasoline tank. I never did it as it involved rerouting gas lines.

I understand that older Merc manuals allowed for 20W engine oil for fogging (before fogging oils become commercially available).

I guess I will go ahead and by a can of fogging oil.

Thank you all for contributions.

FWIW,

On my 07 5.0 merc MPI, I removed the fuel filter, dumped half the fuel out, added a splash of STA-BIL and filled wth 2-stroke oil. Reinstalled filter and cranked it up. Left it run for 5-10 mins and shut her down.
That's how many folks do it on one of the boating forums I frequent.
Does yours have a spin on fuel filter?

Todd

TC-W oil seems to have widespread approval from the outboard manufacturers for winterizing. The new ETEC's from Evinrude all winterized themselves by injecting extra oil from the onboard tank. A little song and dance with the key and fast idle lever - per the instruction manual - starts the process off.

Interestingly, when the computer takes over the winterizing process the tach just shuts off - reads 0 rpm - then the idle rpms jump up to about 2500 (estimated), the extra oil is injected and the motor shuts off - all by itself.

Winterizing done, 60 seconds!!! A nice feature when you are winterizing a triple rig, a twin rig and 3 single rigs!!

I was told that ATF is not good as a fogging oil due to ash content. I don't know about the newer ATF, but I personally like MMO.

TCW-3 or MMO would be my choice over ATF as a fogging oil. I've used TCW-3, MMO, and fogging oil. I found that it was easier to restart the engine in the spring when MMO was used as a fogging oil. Upon removal of a cylinder head on a Chevy 250 I6 about 6 months after fogging the engine everything looked just fine. A nice film of MMO was present, no flash rusting at all. Carbon deposits were soft and easy to clean up. We did a valve job and ported and polished it.

why not just use Stabil - for marine - they claim it has twice as much detergents and oils for easier starting and top end lube - just double the rec dosage.

I dont understand why people insist on playing chemist - with MMO AND TCW3 oils when $10- treats 300+liters of gasoline-??????
whatever - ???????????

Using TC-W oil for winterizing is "playing Chemist"??

Did you miss the message, Evinrude Etecs fog themselves when you select the automatic winterizing procedure, they use the TC-W oil from the main oil tank when doing so. This certainly would seem like a factory approved procedure to me, they went to a lot of work to program their computers to make them do this!!!

Yes, we still put Stabil in the gas.

Using TC-W oil for winterizing is "playing Chemist"??

mixing it with MMO - or Seafoam or what ever - IS playing chemist.

My point is why bother when there are time tested products already bottled with metering tubes built right into the bottle ?????

Originally Posted By: nicholas

My point is why bother when there are time tested products already bottled with metering tubes built right into the bottle ?????

I did not know and doubt that stabil gas additive is good for fogging.

Do you have a link or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back