Astro, What Do You Make Of This ??

I think some people wanting to be a pilot see how difficult it’s to earn your commercial pilot wings and gain seniority over the past 20 years of ups and downs in the airline industry.

It’s a very big decision (personal, financial and professional) and some eventually leave due to problems out of their control and poor decision making from their employer.

The road to flying for a major airline is very difficult and some folks don’t realize this.

Last edited:
I think some people wanting to be a pilot see how difficult it’s to earn your commercial pilot wings and gain seniority over the past 20 years of ups and downs in the airline industry.

It’s a very big decision (personal, financial and professional) and some eventually leave due to problems out of their control and poor decision making from their employer.

The road to flying for a major airline is very difficult and some folks don’t realize this.

I remember hearing about how it works in other parts of the world. In China they don't have a strong culture of civilian aviation. The military basically controls the airspace and I don't believe they have a lot of general aviation other than maybe in the military. Airlines will actually send trainees to US flight schools. I only heard about it because of some incident in Redding, California where a student pilot was forcibly removed.

On the tape McConkey threatens to break Shi’s arm if he did not get into a van so he could be flown to San Francisco for a flight to China.​
Rappaport said in his motion that police later obtained a video of the incident “and lo and behold, nowhere on the tape did it show that Chris was ‘violently shoved into the kitchen counter and then to the ground,’” which Shi alleged.​
McConkey resigned from IASCO in July. Hoser also no longer works at the flight school. Both also no longer live in Shasta County.​
Despite the plea deal, McConkey’s career as pilot is still in limbo.​
If he successfully completes his probation, the felony charges will be expunged from his record. A felony conviction would end McConkey’s career as a pilot.​

I remember hearing about how it works in other parts of the world. In China they don't have a strong culture of civilian aviation. The military basically controls the airspace and I don't believe they have a lot of general aviation other than maybe in the military. Airlines will actually send trainees to US flight schools. I only heard about it because of some incident in Redding, California where a student pilot was forcibly removed.

On the tape McConkey threatens to break Shi’s arm if he did not get into a van so he could be flown to San Francisco for a flight to China.​
Rappaport said in his motion that police later obtained a video of the incident “and lo and behold, nowhere on the tape did it show that Chris was ‘violently shoved into the kitchen counter and then to the ground,’” which Shi alleged.​
McConkey resigned from IASCO in July. Hoser also no longer works at the flight school. Both also no longer live in Shasta County.​
Despite the plea deal, McConkey’s career as pilot is still in limbo.​
If he successfully completes his probation, the felony charges will be expunged from his record. A felony conviction would end McConkey’s career as a pilot.​
I heard the practice of hiring from the military and their code of rigidity and secrecy is was to blame for the poor safety records of Korean Air and China Airlines. Now they both have excellent safety records and are both SkyTeam members.

Back