Astro - Buddy of Yours?

"A United Airlines pilot has been charged in a bizarre ax attack earlier this month in which he savaged a parking arm at a Denver International Airport employee parking lot, causing an estimated $700 in damage. Police say the pilot, Kenneth Henderson Jones, told them "He just hit his breaking point."

Up until this, he was a Captain on the 757/767.

This is unbelievable and humorous in so many ways. This guy did what we've ALL wanted to do at one point or another!

I just can't imagine his mindset at the time. Surely he knew that this would be the end of his career as an airline pilot. I mean, he's 63... He could have at least waited until the day he retired, right? Only a couple of more years...

All THAT said, did you see the way he swung that ax? Dude's in great shape for 63!

You reckon it was a Gransfors-Bruks ax? 😆

This video has already been posted, but I think a lot of people out there are at their wits end with everything going on.
The difference is that most don't walk around with an ax. Not to mention he has a few hundred lives in his hands when he is in the cockpit.

The difference is that most don't walk around with an ax. Not to mention he has a few hundred lives in his hands when he is in the cockpit.
100%

I'm not saying in any way it is justified, but in the last 3 years I have seen more people losing it and going crazy than ever before. It used to be the few who had tantrums were filmed and on the news/Youtube because it was so rare, now it seems to be a daily occurrence if you are in any populated area.

This video has already been posted, but I think a lot of people out there are at their wits end with everything going on.
3 years ago I was making less money, but was able to keep up with bills, take family on vacations, and have the savings growing.

Today I'm making more money, savings are depleted, had to dip into 401k, vacations are completely out of the question, and more hours spent in overtime, sold off some personal assets, all just to stay afloat with increased spending everywhere.

I understand that pilot, thankfully I'm able to control myself, for now.

From someone who had DEN as his home airport since 1998, I can tell you I understand his frustrations. If you want a more incompetent run parking lot, it's there. Plus it is very expensive compared to a lot of airports I park at around the US. Week after week when you want to just go home, the chances of something not working at the parking exits is pretty high. I wish I could say I had just one experience of being stuck at the gate for 45 minutes waiting for someone who speaks limited English to even show up, much less help, but it's happened multiple times.

My friend that is a retired airline pilot would tell me "I love to fly the planes , but hate the airport".

There's no one in charge of facilities at this place?
Is the parking system completely automated?
Have all people been removed from the booths?

It's pretty typical for employee parking lots to use automated entry with a keycard. It can be pretty bad if you misplace the keycard. I used to use one at a pay garage with a monthly. There were a few times that I forgot my keycard in the office and fortunately they had an an attendant (for cash parking payments) who could let me out since they knew who all the regulars were.

My friend that is a retired airline pilot would tell me "I love to fly the planes , but hate the airport".
I don't know anybody that likes to go to an airport in and of itself. You may tolerate it because if you go on vacation the airport is a destination (that's a big hassle) but hopefully you will end up somewhere pleasant (after you get on a plane-another big hassle these days).
If you are a business traveler (I once was) I feel for ya!

There's no one in charge of facilities at this place?
Is the parking system completely automated?
Have all people been removed from the booths?
At DEN there is. It's a private company who's phone goes right to voice mail. Every time. No one returns calls. It's where the refugees are given jobs.
It is automated. Until something goes wrong.
Yes. Thats why when you press the help button it can take 20 minutes just for someone to walk there from the inside. Usually one booth has a cashier who points you to put your credit card in the automated machine and cannot help if you aren't in their lane.

Last edited:
I don't know anybody that likes to go to an airport in and of itself. You may tolerate it because if you go on vacation the airport is a destination (that's a big hassle) but hopefully you will end up somewhere pleasant (after you get on a plane-another big hassle these days).
If you are a business traveler (I once was) I feel for ya!

When I was a kid I loved going to the airport. But then again I rarely traveled by air back then. A relative of mine was a travel agent back then and would take me along sometimes - especially on weekends - when there was something like a large group being supported. But this was back before one needed a ticket to get past the metal detectors. And it was SFO, which was a fun place back then. The one thing I remember was Parisian brand bread being sold at the airport as a last chance for visitors to take home some sourdough.

Reactions: CKN
At DEN there is. It's a private company who's phone goes right to voice mail. Every time. No one returns calls. It's where the refugees are given jobs.
It is automated. Until something goes wrong.
Yes. Thats why when you press the help button it can take 20 minutes just for someone to walk there from the inside. Usually one booth has a cashier who points you to put your credit card in the automated machine and cannot help if you aren't in their lane.
Not this time. There was a guy there to confiscate that ax!

When I was a kid I loved going to the airport. But then again I rarely traveled by air back then. A relative of mine was a travel agent back then and would take me along sometimes - especially on weekends - when there was something like a large group being supported. But this was back before one needed a ticket to get past the metal detectors. And it was SFO, which was a fun place back then. The one thing I remember was Parisian brand bread being sold at the airport as a last chance for visitors to take home some sourdough.
I loved SFO in the old days.

Empathy is everything in this situation for the ual pilot as I "get it". This is where the author of the article wants to influence and not inform. Some easy research may have brought out there may be two sides to this headline /story.

Reading through this thread there are comments about Denver having parking automation issues. Very frustrating with the extremely high cost to park at the airport, and to not get a response from the parking system responsible parties on a regular basis when the automation doesn't work is quite normal at some major airports.

I travel often and use airport parking if necessary. Usually when I exit at SEA s when problems happen. Getting assistance at the parking kiosk is usually ten plus minutes at SEA. And the response is almost always unfriendly.

This morning had an issue entering parking. Machine /kiosk froze. Car in front of me got right through. I speculate he was an airport employee and used a special card to get the gate to open. Gate would not open, If I was exiting parking, a thought may have crossed many people mind to force the gate open by physical means.

The kiosk would not give me a ticket, was simply frozen. Pressing the assistance button brought zero relief. I could not backup because of cars behind me. I had to exit the car, walk 25 meters and redirect traffic coming by into the kiosks, finally allowing people stick behind be to back up and go to another lane. And finally, I was able to back up and get to another lane.

The issue isn't a broken kiosk. The issue is a lack of a timely response by responsible parties.

Although not acceptable, I can see why the UAL pilot pulled out a axe.

PXL_20230905_120131033.jpg
PXL_20230905_120136004.jpg

Last edited:
Empathy is everything in this situation for the ual pilot as I "get it". This is where the author of the article wants to influence and not inform. Some easy research may have brought out there may be two sides to this headline /story.

Reading through this thread there are comments about Denver having parking automation issues. Very frustrating with the extremely high cost to park at the airport, and to not get a response from the parking system responsible parties on a regular basis when the automation doesn't work is quite normal at some major airports.

I travel often and use airport parking if necessary. Usually when I exit at SEA s when problems happen. Getting assistance at the parking kiosk is usually ten plus minutes at SEA. And the response is almost always unfriendly.

This morning had an issue entering parking. Machine /kiosk froze. Car in front of me got right through. I speculate he was an airport employee and used a special card to get the gate to open. Gate would not open, If I was exiting parking, a thought may have crossed many people mind to force the gate open by physical means.

The kiosk would not give me a ticket, was simply frozen. Pressing the assistance button brought zero relief. I could not backup because of cars behind me. I had to exit the car, walk 25 meters and redirect traffic coming by into the kiosks, finally allowing people stick behind be to back up and go to another lane. And finally, I was able to back up and get to another lane.

The issue isn't a broken kiosk. The issue is a lack of a timely response by responsible parties.

Although not acceptable, I can see why the UAL pilot pulled out a axe.

View attachment 176997View attachment 176998
Had a similar situation when leaving ORF one night a few years back, made worse by the guy behind me.

My ticket wouldn’t read, despite several tries. No one responded to the “help” button.

I tried to back up - the guy behind me loses it. Starts honking, yelling profanity out his window, tells me I need to swipe my credit card to get out (I’m wearing a pilot uniform, park there about 15-18 days a month, so I do know how it works).

I tell him the gate isn’t working, ask him to back up, and he repeats his profane condescension, and profane assessment of my IQ. This lasts for several minutes.

So, I shut off the car - put it in park. Wait. He continues the stream of profanity. This lasts for several more minutes.

Eventually backs up and goes around.

I get out of my car to walk over to the one booth that has a person in it. More profanity from the same guy. I tell him the gate isn’t working.

I’m just glad he didn’t have an axe!

Back