Assault Weapons - Historical and Now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
But in fact it was confirmed he used the Bushmaster in the school. I mean, if we're going to exterminate children, it is a lot easier to use a rifle with 30 rds. rather than having to reload as they run screaming away. Isn't it?..

In the Sandy Hook shooting it really wouldn't have mattered if he had four 30 rnd magazines or twelve 10 rnd magazines because there was really nobody there to stop him. Swapping magazines doesn't take much time at all. He walked around freely killing whoever he wanted. See why some people believe having some kind of resistance in the schools is beneficial.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
But in fact it was confirmed he used the Bushmaster in the school. I mean, if we're going to exterminate children, it is a lot easier to use a rifle with 30 rds. rather than having to reload as they run screaming away. Isn't it?..

In the Sandy Hook shooting it really wouldn't have mattered if he had four 30 rnd magazines or twelve 10 rnd magazines because there was really nobody there to stop him. Swapping magazines doesn't take much time at all. He walked around freely killing whoever he wanted. See why some people believe having some kind of resistance in the schools is beneficial.

A rather cavalier statement to make actually and you don't know that. Having to reload breaks concentration, especially with an assault rifle/weapon/personal weapon/happy gun. It gives victims time to react...

And Columbine had an armed guard during the massacre there as well as lots of heavily armed, but tepid, police milling about outside...

Last edited:

A rather cavalier statement to make actually and you don't know that. Having to reload breaks concentration, especially with an assault rifle/weapon/personal weapon/happy gun. It gives victims time to react...

And Columbine had an armed guard during the massacre there as well as lots of heavily armed, but tepid, police milling about outside...

Well, your statement is just as cavalier to assume since police and armed guards failed in one instance that all armed people will also fail to stop maniac gunmen in the future.

If nobody is around to stop someone with a gun, they could take all the time they want to re-load.

July 20, 2012 a Bushmaster with 100 round maagazine was used to kill 12 moviegoers and wounding 58 at a theater in Aurora, Colo. Its easier to use 100 round magazines to kill people in theaters without reloading also.
As stated in original OP, this should only take about 2.2 minutes to empty the magazine. And to those that mentioned large magazines to maximize range time, just think how many shots you get off if you get something like this.

Well, your statement is just as cavalier to assume since police and armed guards failed in one instance that all armed people will also fail to stop maniac gunmen in the future.

That's not at all what I said. In fact, Columbine (like mass shootings before it - namely the Texas Bell Tower sniper which led to police SWAT teams) inspired one police commander (in MD or VA IIRC) to advocate training police to immediately enter a shooting scene even at their own peril. By and large, they now do...

Quote:
If nobody is around to stop someone with a gun, they could take all the time they want to re-load.

Well, yeah.

Originally Posted By: scion_xb
July 20, 2012 a Bushmaster with 100 round maagazine was used to kill 12 moviegoers and wounding 58 at a theater in Aurora, Colo. Its easier to use 100 round magazines to kill people in theaters without reloading also.
As stated in original OP, this should only take about 2.2 minutes to empty the magazine. And to those that mentioned large magazines to maximize range time, just think how many shots you get off if you get something like this.

It's not a direct correlating example. Firstly, and correct me if I'm wrong, but he used more than one gun in a darkened theater where he was wearing a gas-mask and had thrown in a 'flashbang' type device. I'm not sure, but I thought he might have also had a shotgun with him.

But it is interesting that a mentally ill time bomb somehow managed to get a Bushmaster assault "weapon" (or any gun) to begin with...

I'm going to disagree with you. Victims have to be ready to run; in Sandy Hook the victims IMO were too young to know that. They were also under orders to stand behind their teacher. [I don't know exactly how it went down, and I'm pretty sure I don't want to. But age IMO comes into play here.] Older victims might be ready to go, BUT they have to be watching for that tell tale sign of a bolt locking back. Replacing a mag can be very fast. And, as you pointed out, at least in one case no entry took place for a long time.

Adam Lanzia had about 20 minutes; he fired 79 rounds. So he did three reloads. He was stopped by a stovepipe of all things; I guess he didn't know his gun very well (or maybe he had a change of heart, I don't know). It appears that he killed himself just as the police were entering. In the recent mall shooting it appears that the shooter shot himself after seeing an armed person; I forget the other cases where the shooter ends it upon meeting resistance.

Originally Posted By: whip
Excellent job with the copy and paste.

grin2.gif
grin2.gif
grin2.gif

I find it hypocritical that it took Sandy Hook for the public to suddenly have an opinion against gun ownership (regardless of the appearance of the firearm).

What about children in Africa who die because of war lords? Or how about North Koreans in labor camps?

It is smug and arrogant to suddenly be against the death of humans because you are able to blame it on an inanimate object. This is what journalists and the media have been training your brain to do for years.

1. Something tragic happens, the reality of which is extremely small in the bigger picture.
2. The media pounces on it like flies on rotten food.
3. The media fails to use facts and sensationalizes it through television and internet.
4. People suddenly have an opinion about something they really didn't care about before the incident occurred.

Remember KONY 2012? Hostess Twinkies?

Regarding the debate over gun control, enforcement of existing laws would be more effective than enactment of new ones.

And as far as needing to justify why individuals should be able to own civilian AR15s, if you need people to convince you why they should be able own them, you are clearly ignorant about firearms in general and have 0 weight in such a debate and have played completely into the agenda behind CNN and MSNBC.

Shame on you for being so crass as to only care about something because it popped up on the public radar. IF YOUR GOAL IS TO HELP REDUCE THE DEATH OF INNOCENT CHILDREN THEN THERE ARE 3RD WORLD COUNTRIES THAT COULD USE YOUR HELP. IF YOUR GOAL IS TO RESTRICT THE LIBERTIES OF A FELLOW MAN THEN NO AMOUNT OF ARGUING IS GOING TO CONVINCE YOU.

The ban on any and all firearms from the progressive left isn't new. The reason for it is simple...power over the unarmed masses. Nothing more than that period. They don't give a rat's arse about the victims, they will use this as an excuse to furthur push their agenda and degrade your rights. They will use the media and push their propoganda and decieve the weak minded amoung us. Fact! If U don't see that U are truely blind and cannot be helped. Case and point. Who is now using Obama's campain phrase "lean forward"? MSNBC. "Fair share", how about that load of [censored]?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Darren270
Quote:
I asked for a rational justification by gun owners to steer me back to my original view.

Your question is nothing more than a form of special pleading and that's the problem. Gun owners are not required by logic to justify their position in order to placate yours. This is what I meant by your shifting the burden of proof. Sandy Hook changed your previous position on guns. Now its up to you to justify that position. You don't do that by proclaiming "well this how I feel now, unless you can convince me otherwise." Again, I don't have to convince you of anything. Gun ownership (at least in this country) is the default. The onus is on you to prove that taking away guns or a certain type of gun would solve the problem that you believe gun ownership causes. If you are unwilling or are unable to do that, then you don't have a logical argument. This is what you're not getting.

Quote:
Your answer - f' you.

Tu Quoque. Was my tone defiant? Sure, but not without good reason which I have explained, twice now and which you obviously aren't interested in.

Quote:
Its guys like you that need a second look now. Thats what I think. And you reinforce that with your irrational perceptions of a threat, my comments.

No one called or perceived your comments as a "threat". Which is ironic considering that an ad hominem like "its guys like you that need a second look" certainly are.

Quote:
I'm done. Its always going to be a point of contention. Nobody wins.

And it always will be until people stop with the emotional knee jerking, straw men and slippery slope arguments in response to these tragedies. Were not talking about taking away sports cars or fishing poles. We're talking about potentially taking away someones rights. Rights for which many have died in the belief of and are a core defining belief for those who continue to defend it.

What LeakySeals was asking was not unreasonable. For those who missed it, BITOG is a forum predominately based on lubrication related topics. If I or anyone else was interested in a groupthink opinion of the pros or cons on the value of the second amendment, I, you, or they should seek out a website that promotes such an opinion. The value of having such a discussion on a site such as BITOG is you can get a diverse set of opinions on the subject. Yes this topic is dear to many for many reasons, unfortunately at times these discussions end with attacks or insults (either perceived or real), they add no value to the debate. Personally I am very thankful that the owner of this website has allowed such discussions to take place, I honestly thought that all such topics would have been locked in the immediate aftermath of Sandy Hook.

Secondly, yes the second amendment gives you rights, rights are not absolute nor are they perpetual. If your democracy decides to amend or dissolve those rights then what will be will be. Given recent events, these rights are under scrutiny by average citizens, politicians and the media. Frankly any democracy that doesn’t reflect the will of a majority of it's citizens isn’t worth having.

What the pro 2nd amendment crowd seems to miss is this discussion is going to happen, you can either meaningfully contribute to it or be left behind. Again, accusing people of an agenda adds no value to the discussion, it only chews up bandwidth.

Originally Posted By: Duffman77
Originally Posted By: Darren270
Quote:
I asked for a rational justification by gun owners to steer me back to my original view.

Your question is nothing more than a form of special pleading and that's the problem. Gun owners are not required by logic to justify their position in order to placate yours. This is what I meant by your shifting the burden of proof. Sandy Hook changed your previous position on guns. Now its up to you to justify that position. You don't do that by proclaiming "well this how I feel now, unless you can convince me otherwise." Again, I don't have to convince you of anything. Gun ownership (at least in this country) is the default. The onus is on you to prove that taking away guns or a certain type of gun would solve the problem that you believe gun ownership causes. If you are unwilling or are unable to do that, then you don't have a logical argument. This is what you're not getting.

Quote:
Your answer - f' you.

Tu Quoque. Was my tone defiant? Sure, but not without good reason which I have explained, twice now and which you obviously aren't interested in.

Quote:
Its guys like you that need a second look now. Thats what I think. And you reinforce that with your irrational perceptions of a threat, my comments.

No one called or perceived your comments as a "threat". Which is ironic considering that an ad hominem like "its guys like you that need a second look" certainly are.

Quote:
I'm done. Its always going to be a point of contention. Nobody wins.

And it always will be until people stop with the emotional knee jerking, straw men and slippery slope arguments in response to these tragedies. Were not talking about taking away sports cars or fishing poles. We're talking about potentially taking away someones rights. Rights for which many have died in the belief of and are a core defining belief for those who continue to defend it.

What LeakySeals was asking was not unreasonable. For those who missed it, BITOG is a forum predominately based on lubrication related topics. If I or anyone else was interested in a groupthink opinion of the pros or cons on the value of the second amendment, I, you, or they should seek out a website that promotes such an opinion. The value of having such a discussion on a site such as BITOG is you can get a diverse set of opinions on the subject. Yes this topic is dear to many for many reasons, unfortunately at times these discussions end with attacks or insults (either perceived or real), they add no value to the debate. Personally I am very thankful that the owner of this website has allowed such discussions to take place, I honestly thought that all such topics would have been locked in the immediate aftermath of Sandy Hook.

Secondly, yes the second amendment gives you rights, rights are not absolute nor are they perpetual. If your democracy decides to amend or dissolve those rights then what will be will be. Given recent events, these rights are under scrutiny by average citizens, politicians and the media. Frankly any democracy that doesn’t reflect the will of a majority of it's citizens isn’t worth having.

What the pro 2nd amendment crowd seems to miss is this discussion is going to happen, you can either meaningfully contribute to it or be left behind. Again, accusing people of an agenda adds no value to the discussion, it only chews up bandwidth.

It is an agenda....and looking at history I want nothing of it and will fight for my right. The constitution is not to be messed with as our forefathers wrote it to keep gov't in check. If you recall - we left a country to get away from what our country is trying to become.

I'm sorry, I do try to have reasonable conversation with gun banners and THEY usually turn the conversation ugly when FACTS don't align with their emotions and agenda.

Duffman 77....our bill of rights was created by the founders as fundamental individual rights. It says right in it "shall not be infringed".

Also its not a democracy, the founders abhorred democracy by in-large. That is why we have a representative republic, not a democracy. We already have walked right up to the line of "reasonable limits" with the National Firearms act of 1934, the Gun Control Act of 1968, and the various laws of the 1980's on the non importation of certain arms.

The constitution was not set up to take away ANY of those fundamental individual rights. If we start eroding one, we risk the slippery slope of losing the others like free speech, freedom of assembly, right to due process, ect.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein

Also its not a democracy, the founders abhorred democracy by in-large. That is why we have a representative republic, not a democracy.

I couldn’t disagree more with that statement (less founding father comment) and its not worth my time to pursue it either as it is off topic. I am sure there will be others who will pile on that one though.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy

The constitution is not to be messed with as our forefathers wrote it to keep gov't in check.

That's an opinion and you are certainly entitled to it but you are wrong from a legal perspective if you think it cant be changed.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy

The constitution is not to be messed with as our forefathers wrote it to keep gov't in check.

The Constitution *has* been messed with over the centuries. And who messed with it? The very gov't you claim that it's suppossed to keep in check. Along with the states that ratified all those changes.

The first 10 Amendments were not even part of the Constitution when it went into effect on March 4th 1789. They did not become law until Dec 5th 1791.

What is amazing is that many of the folks wanting to ban "assault weapons" don't see the killing of 3500 unborn in the US each day for the murder it is.

If they really want to demonstrate they care for life, they can start by seeking protection for the innocent unborn.

Its amazing that as a probable average, there are several of these shootings every year which account for less than 50 deaths, I would guess, and the nation goes bonkers.
10228 people were killed by drunk drivers in 2010 and you don't hear a peep about it (9878 in 2011).

http://www.cdc.gov/motorvehiclesafety/impaired_driving/impaired-drv_factsheet.html

IMO that is a MUCH higher priority than worrying this much about gun control. If guns are confiscated than only the bad guys will have them. With our porous southern border, guns can be moved easily and there won't be a shortage.

Healthcare for the mentally ill should also be a bigger priority. Lanzi's mother did what she could, but it wasn't enough.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/01/opinion/more-treatment-more-mistakes.html?_r=0

Quote:
According to a 1999 report by the Institute of Medicine, as many as 98,000 Americans were dying every year because of medical mistakes. Today, exact figures are hard to come by because states don’t abide by the same reporting guidelines, and few cases gain as much attention as that of Rory Staunton, the 12-year-old boy who died of septic shock this spring after being sent home from a New York hospital. But a reasonable estimate is that medical mistakes now kill around 200,000 Americans every year. That would make them one of the leading causes of death in the United States. Why have these mistakes been so hard to prevent?

And these are heavily tested and regulated people, chemicals, and equipment...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back