Arrowhead Stadium weather…

That's cold, but it still won't beat the NFL Championship game played in Green Bay's Lambeau Field on New Years Eve 1967, between the Packers and the Cowboys. Actual temperature was -13 F, with a wind chill of -48 F.

I still remember when Bud Grant coached the Minnesota Vikings, and he wouldn't allow heaters at home games in Metropolitan Stadium when it got below zero. He figured it would toughen them up mentally. Today the players union would probably sue him.

The Fish seemed a bit chilly at Hardrock against the Bills when it was 60F, kind of cool for Miami. But the issue for the Dolphins is the staggering number of injuries they have, as well as walking wounded like WR's Hill and Waddle. I would give the Dolphins more than a chance despite the weather if they were more or less healthy but thy are not even close. And even healthy, the bigger issue is they can't seem to beat teams with winning records with Dallas and Jacksonville being the exceptions...

I also genuinely worry about their coach Mike McDaniel who seemed to be a bit sluggish in the press conferences following Sunday night's loss to the Bills...

That's cold, but it still won't beat the NFL Championship game played in Green Bay's Lambeau Field on New Years Eve 1967, between the Packers and the Cowboys. Actual temperature was -13 F, with a wind chill of -48 F.

I still remember when Bud Grant coached the Minnesota Vikings, and he wouldn't allow heaters at home games in Metropolitan Stadium when it got below zero. He figured it would toughen them up mentally. Today the players union would probably sue him.

I think he also figured they'd rather be on the field moving around than the sidelines but still kind of brutal.

I once went to a Buffalo Bills game as a kid on leave with a friend who got us free tickets from his wealthy family friends. It was a late season Jets game in the early 90's, the Bills were in the playoffs already and resting starters, and it was -7F for part of the day. We didn't care as it was dry and sunny and I barely noticed but also hardly sat down. We also were actually careful not to drink too much beer and kept hydrated but I rather enjoyed it and it was better being dry and cold at -7/-22C than the games I went to on a wet rainy day at 40F...

Buffalo doesn't usually see the cold temps the Midwest does but the winds can be absolutely brutal...
Statistically correct but we caught a game in late Dec back in the '90s.((( 🫂 ))) We were cold to the bone.
We used to go to one game a year. But now, I am just too old to spend 10+ hours driving(back & fourth 70+ miles each way) plus traffic then tail gating and then the game and then tail gating again til the parking lot empties enough to drive back home another 70+ miles at night in foul weather.

I went to the Giants/ Packers playoff game in Green Bay cold I never experienced before ridiculous. Stayed in the stadium to celebrate the NY win it was historic. Left the stadium to a empty parking lot and the rental car wouldn't start. A packer fan drove us to our hotel great guys it was like summer to them.

Reactions: GON
I've been to BUFFALO for a game when the temp was in the single digits with strong winds and that's too cold for me.
There's a great clip I've seen from the 1980's I would imagine. Coach Marv Levy in the locker room surrounded by the team.
Marv's yelling "WHEN IT'S TOO COLD FOR THEM..." and then the guys yell back in unison "IT'S JUST RIGHT FOR US!"

Screenshot_20240110_054143_Gallery.jpg

The Saturday forecast is showing 11F at 7PM & -3F for the overnight low. That's still freakin cold! I'm no football watcher but it'd be funny to watch it just for this weather aspect. Both teams will be cold but Florida will suffer the most.

After the Metrodome collapsed in Minneapolis, the Vikings and Seahawks played a game at the MN Gophers stadium that was -6°F.

Way back before the Metrodome was built, the Vikings regularly played in cold weather. From what I just looked up, that game was the 3rd time in their history where it was below zero.

I went to a game in Green Bay some years ago when it was in the single digits. I was used to working outdoors, so it was no big deal for me. The funniest thing was after the game, the parking lot was littered with exploded beers which had frozen. They looked like shrapnel!

How the fans pay the big money they do for the tickets when on the couch is nice and warm and High Def.
Going in-person a few times is worth the experience but yeah, it's so much more comfortable at home in a warm house, with heat, cheap food/drinks, and so on ! The actual viewing experience (with dozens of camera angles) is 100x better than in-person too.

A little off topic, but I had NY Jet season tickets for 37 years. Went to home games in three different stadiums ( Shea, Meadowlands, and Metlife). It was great when I was in my 20’s, but as I got older I realized that I could watch the same game on my 65inch HD TV, be warm, no bathroom lines, no $17 can of beer, no $12 Hotdogs, no 2 hour commute home, and if the game stinks, I could change the channel!

Coach Reid and Mahomes basically coming off a bye, as KC rested their starters last week. Big Red (Reid) is 27-4 coming off a bye. Miami is 1-5 this season against teams with a winning record. Although KC has lost four times at home this season, a playoff game at Arrowhead will make the crowd that much louder (and make sure Tyreek gets a less-than-welcome homecoming). The weather won't faze our fans; we know how to dress in layers, hand warmers, etc. Miami banged up and out of their climate. 27-17 CHIEEEEFS!!

Back