Are the battery testers at oreillys accurate?

Both my batteries are dead when the truck sits for more than 3 or 4 days, but then I go to the auto parts store to test them, they pass. Yes they unhook the batteries to test individually

Unless I have one heck of a parasitic draw. They're both at 11.5v but I didn't remove the terminals this morning to check

Unless I have one heck of a parasitic draw. They're both at 11.5v but I didn't remove the terminals this morning to check
You might have a parasitic draw somewhere if that's the case. The equipment can have an accuracy range but it wouldn't be big enough to be notable.

what Javier just said.

you can always connect a ammeter in series to the positive post and see what sort of current draw the vehicle exhibits when turned off and sitting. it shouldn't be very much.

my wife's Expedition was doing the same thing... turned out the so called Power Saving Relay wasn't saving any power because it was stuck. :) found that by using the ammeter and pulling fuses and relays until the issue went away.

what Javier just said.

you can always connect a ammeter in series to the positive post and see what sort of current draw the vehicle exhibits when turned off and sitting. it shouldn't be very much.

my wife's Expedition was doing the same thing... turned out the so called Power Saving Relay wasn't saving any power because it was stuck. :) found that by using the ammeter and pulling fuses and relays until the issue went away.
There they go again, reinventing the wheel

False alarm. I actually think I got a bad reading on the multi meter. Needed to scrape off some nice clean lead off the terminals and I got 12.6v before it was only 11.5 if I don't dig the probes in a tad. I wanted to check before starting this time because last time it was a loose terminal and the entire guage cluster went haywire with that bad connection

Last edited:
Back