Are Cooper CS5 LRR?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at a set of the CS5 Grand Tourings for my CR-V

I haven't seen anything that points to them being a LRR tire. Does anyone know?

I emailed Cooper a few days ago and haven't heard back.

The blurb in their own "Features & Benefits" section mentions that the rubber compounds are improved to "lower rolling resistance".

If there is some "LRR Grand Council Approving Criteria" threshold one has to assume the CS5 Grand Touring didn't meet it or Cooper would've said so.

In my size the CS5 GT is a T rated tire with a 780 wear rating and that's all I need to know. I LOVED my CS4's. Kira

What tire size?
smile.gif

But with all the rebates from DT/DTD, they come out to so cheap it's ok if they're not as efficient as a Fuel Max or Ecopia because the gas savings won't come anywhere close to negating the huge DT sales.

I'm not sure if the Cooper CSR Grand Touring are LRR but I have a set of
Cooper CS5 Ultra Touring and they feel like HRR, that's High Rolling Resistance.

I don't have to use the brakes, just take my foot off the gas and the cars slows down.

Originally Posted By: Kira
Do DT or DTD have brick & mortar stores?

Shipping and punitive mounting & balancing fees bite deep.

DT/DTD is the same company

DT is the Brick and mortar stores (in California, they're called America's Tire)

DTD is the online arm of DT. Shipping is free. Mount/balance is the same price it would otherwise be at the installer of your choice.

DT will install tires purchased from DTD for $16/tire.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
What tire size?
smile.gif

But with all the rebates from DT/DTD, they come out to so cheap it's ok if they're not as efficient as a Fuel Max or Ecopia because the gas savings won't come anywhere close to negating the huge DT sales.

They're 225/65/17.

The DTD Labor Day sale will put them about $85 a tire

Originally Posted By: Reggaemon
I'm not sure if the Cooper CSR Grand Touring are LRR but I have a set of
Cooper CS5 Ultra Touring and they feel like HRR, that's High Rolling Resistance.

I don't have to use the brakes, just take my foot off the gas and the cars slows down.

Regardless if the tires are LRR or HRR when you take your foot off the gas pedal all vehicles will slow down for both transmissions, Automatic and Manual. HRR will slow down a vehicle more than LRR.

Just an FYI:

LRR is a relative term. It means better fuel economy than other tires with the same treadwear and traction levels. It does not mean that the tire has low rolling resistance (in absolute terms).

The term is also self applied - that is the tire manufacturer itself makes the claim of better fuel economy. In this case, both the Cooper CS5 Ultra Touring and the Cooper CS5 Grand Touring do NOT make this claim on their website.

So I think the answer to the OP's questions is No!

Originally Posted By: Stewart Fan
They're 225/65/17.

The DTD Labor Day sale will put them about $85 a tire

Cool

They also have Cooper's Discoverer HTP which will be $72/tire after rebates. And Cooper says the HTP was designed for "great mileage"

Consumer Reports testing says the CS5 GT is "very good" on rolling resistance compared to other standard all-season tires. It's beaten by the Pirelli P4, Conti TrueContact and the Kumho TA11, but the GT beats or matches a lot of other tires in the category.

The CS5 UT doesn't fare as well when compared to other tires in the performance all season category. The H-rated CS5 gets a "good" rating and the V-rated is only "fair." As a whole, the performance all season category has higher rolling resistance, so the CS5 UT aren't terrible, but they aren't top contenders on rolling resistance, either.

Originally Posted By: stephen9666
Consumer Reports testing says the CS5 GT is "very good" on rolling resistance compared to other standard all-season tires. It's beaten by the Pirelli P4, Conti TrueContact and the Kumho TA11, but the GT beats or matches a lot of other tires in the category.

The CS5 UT doesn't fare as well when compared to other tires in the performance all season category. The H-rated CS5 gets a "good" rating and the V-rated is only "fair." As a whole, the performance all season category has higher rolling resistance, so the CS5 UT aren't terrible, but they aren't top contenders on rolling resistance, either.

That's because the CS5 Ultra isn't a performance all-season. It's a grand touring all-season, like the PureContact, Pirelli Cinturato P7 AS, and Kumho's TA71.

Cooper's performance all-season is the Zeon RS3-G1 (about to go on sale any day now), which is replacing the RS3-A

Originally Posted By: Stewart Fan
The HTP is too much tire for my needs. That's more truck/SUV oriented IMO.

True, but it is quite a bit cheaper once the rebates are factored in. And it might actually give you better results since it's designed for taller-profile vehicles like your CRV. And the HTP has 12/32 tread, compared to 11/32 of either CS5.

More tire, less money
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog

That's because the CS5 Ultra isn't a performance all-season. It's a grand touring all-season, like the PureContact, Pirelli Cinturato P7 AS, and Kumho's TA71.

Cooper's performance all-season is the Zeon RS3-G1 (about to go on sale any day now), which is replacing the RS3-A

The PureContact, P7 and TA71 are also all in the performance all season category for CR, so you and them agree, but you would like to call the category something else.

The RS3-A is in CR's ultra high performance all season category.

CR breaks down car tires into four categories:
-All season
-Performance all season
-Ultra high performance all season
-Ultra high performance summer only

Those seem like pretty reasonable category breakdowns.

You may want to tell Cooper your opinion so they can change the name of the CS5 Grand Touring, since you say the CS5 Ultra Touring is really their grand touring tire.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: stephen9666

The PureContact, P7 and TA71 are also all in the performance all season category for CR, so you and them agree, but you would like to call the category something else.

The RS3-A is in CR's ultra high performance all season category.

CR breaks down car tires into four categories:
-All season
-Performance all season
-Ultra high performance all season
-Ultra high performance summer only

Those seem like pretty reasonable category breakdowns.

You may want to tell Cooper your opinion so they can change the name of the CS5 Grand Touring, since you say the CS5 Ultra Touring is really their grand touring tire.
laugh.gif

Thanks for clearing it up! I don't know too much about CR. I was using Tire Rack's categories.

TR calls the CS5 Grand a "standard touring" tire, but they seem to separate T-rated touring tires (standard touring) from H/V-rated (grand touring)

Even though TR doesn't carry Cooper, they still made this helpful guide about Cooper's lineup. They also have a page for Nitto, and they used to have one for Falken before they started selling the RT615K.

Consumer Reports should rename their Performance all-season category "touring"

And CR's first group, just "all-season", is most likely TR's "passenger all-season" category. (Goodyear Fuel Max and TripleTred, for example)

My only complaint with my Cooper Tires is that they do not know how to do LRR. It just isn't a priority for them.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
My only complaint with my Cooper Tires is that they do not know how to do LRR. It just isn't a priority for them.

Right and if LRR is a priority go Michelin energy saver or equivalent.

Personally I like tires with traction.

And FWIW these Michelin premiers which are supposedly "LRR", but have good traction esp. wet traction arent very LRR and I lost 5% fuel economy vs OEM Tires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back