Are Cooper CS5 LRR?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Rand
And FWIW these Michelin premiers which are supposedly "LRR", but have good traction esp. wet traction arent very LRR and I lost 5% fuel economy vs OEM Tires.

And they only have 8.5/32 tread too! You'd think the shallower tread would give them an advantage in fuel economy

Hopefully, Michelin will release an updated version, perhaps called Premier Plus, with the full 10/32.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog

Thanks for clearing it up! I don't know too much about CR. I was using Tire Rack's categories.

TR calls the CS5 Grand a "standard touring" tire, but they seem to separate T-rated touring tires (standard touring) from H/V-rated (grand touring)

Even though TR doesn't carry Cooper, they still made this helpful guide about Cooper's lineup. They also have a page for Nitto, and they used to have one for Falken before they started selling the RT615K.

Consumer Reports should rename their Performance all-season category "touring"

And CR's first group, just "all-season", is most likely TR's "passenger all-season" category. (Goodyear Fuel Max and TripleTred, for example)

Yeah, it can be tough sometimes to break down tires into similar groups, especially when some tires use words like "grand touring" in the name.

I have the CS5 215/55-17V on a 2012 Camry. They are a great tire, but I did see a 2-3mpg drop from the OEM tires. Oh well.

Originally Posted By: Traction
I have the CS5 215/55-17V on a 2012 Camry. They are a great tire, but I did see a 2-3mpg drop from the OEM tires. Oh well.

Same here...on the 05 Camry.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
My only complaint with my Cooper Tires is that they do not know how to do LRR. It just isn't a priority for them.

Cooper is generally an aftermarket tire seller, so they can make whatever they want to sell. That also means they don't have the stigma of having to put their brand on a sometimes-despised OEM-specification tire. There are people out there who will not touch certain tire brands because they had a cruddy OEM-spec tire made by that brand. A lot of complaints about OEM tires are that they're banana peels in the wet. If folks know Cooper tires as "a step up from OEM" for their replacement set of tires, that's a marketing win for Cooper.

TL;DR: Cooper doesn't do LRR because LRR above all else is bad for their brand.

Cooper sells more truck tires in my neck of the woods - also used by the 4x4 out backers in Oz ...

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Cooper sells more truck tires in my neck of the woods - also used by the 4x4 out backers in Oz ...

I've got Cooper's ST Maxx on my truck. They've been a great tire.

ST Maxx ? Nice. One of my engineers just put a set on his Jeep - has to be my next shoes ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back