Are Cars Made in Mexico Union Made?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JohnBrowning
Not blurry to me if you want a job making car's better look outside of Michigan towards the deep south and you better like working for Toyota,Honda,Mercedes,Hyundai etc.....American Companies do not invest in America only other countries invest in AMerica.A Toyota made in Texas is far more American made then a GM vehicle made in Detroit. Most of the assembly of the majore sub parts and such have already been done in Mexico and Canada then shipped by rail back to Michigan where either a robot and human with weightless suspended tools that are computer controlled finish the assembly of the major sub assemblies into a finished product.

Personely when GM sent my job to Canada and Pakistan and showed me and 1500 other non-union contract workers the door that ended my ties to GM for good. If you gave me one I might drive it but would probably sell it or trade it for a Ford or a Toyota. They will never see a dollar of my money. They even had the nerve to ask me to train my Canadian replacement!On top of that whent hey where hiring at a plant not far from me and they where hurting to find people because none of the applicants where passing their mandatory drug screen they would not give me or my wife applications because we did not know anyone personally at that plant. They only gave them to plant personel to give to their friends and realatives. Never mind a spotless 7 year track record as a contract worker or the fact that Ihad relatives that retired from GM or the fact that my wife and I could have passed the drug screen!

So when GM brings all those jobs that are currently done in Mexico or Canada or China back to the USA and gives me or one of my children a job I will consider them but not until then!

Did you lose sight that you were a "contract worker" and not a permanent employee? Your employment was with the contract house that administered your labor to GM.

Originally Posted By: Hootbro
Did you lose sight that you were a "contract worker" and not a permanent employee? Your employment was with the contract house that administered your labor to GM.

Yeah now I know where JBs dislike for GM really comes from. If anyone thinks foreign automakers treat their workers let alone contract workers so great, they have another thing coming. I could tell some tales about the Honda operation in Ohio. This is just the way things are done now.

Originally Posted By: cousincletus
I not only agree with what the union is doing with the parking situation (although walking a little more never hurt anyone), but would go a step further and lay off those who aren't buying domestic products first. We all have the responsibility of contributing to our country and economy. Money doesn't grow on trees. There are consequences to sending money overseas (look at the mess we're in now). We make our money here, so spend it here.
Cletus, I go to great lengths to buy American components for my 13 year old Japanese car, and American goods in general. For my car, I buy American made tires, spark plug wires, and oils. For my home and hearth, I look for an American made tag whenever I possibly can. I don't have the money to buy another car, so that's out of the question.

That's going well above and beyond Sally Soccer Mom who bought a GM-branded vehicle made in Mexico or Canada, with a Chinese motor and Chinese glass windows, and very little domestic content. You'd let her keep her job, though. Very myopic.

Last edited:
Might be a tad off topic but here is a link for the "buy American" guys.

http://www.stillmadeinusa.com/

34.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
Originally Posted By: cousincletus
I not only agree with what the union is doing with the parking situation (although walking a little more never hurt anyone), but would go a step further and lay off those who aren't buying domestic products first. We all have the responsibility of contributing to our country and economy. Money doesn't grow on trees. There are consequences to sending money overseas (look at the mess we're in now). We make our money here, so spend it here.
Cletus, I go to great lengths to buy American components for my 13 year old Japanese car, and American goods in general. For my car, I buy American made tires, spark plug wires, and oils. For my home and hearth, I look for an American made tag whenever I possibly can. I don't have the money to buy another car, so that's out of the question.

That's going well above and beyond Sally Soccer Mom who bought a GM-branded vehicle made in Mexico or Canada, with a Chinese motor and Chinese glass windows, and very little domestic content. You'd let her keep her job, though. Very myopic.

Don't bother mentioning all the GM cars and trucks that ARE made in the USA and the imports that have a 0% American parts content. Wife's Malibu=80%, My Colorado=77%. Not as good as I would like, but a far cry from "made in China".

Quote:
So when GM brings all those jobs that are currently done in Mexico or Canada or China back to the USA and gives me or one of my children a job I will consider them but not until then!

100% blame is on those union boys who unmercilessly tightened the noose around the neck of GM with so many financial constraints that GM had no choice but to build vehicles in other countries. I was going buy a closeout 2009 Corvette but the deciding factor was that Tremec now builds the Corvette 6 speed trans in Mexico. So I said no thanks
31.gif
. I would be nice if GM built the entire Corvette in Mexico and not Bowling Green KY. I am sure the Mexicans could build a much better car compared to those pathetic UAW good ole boys.

While as a Corvette owner I can see your viewpoint but the origin of the transmission would not stop my purchase of a car. Tremec builds it, not GM. Oh and Bowling Green is a great plant with high quality scores and the workforce there is very much top notch too. I spent time in that plant and those workers care about the product and take pride in their work. Other plants building not so exciting cars are not as enthusiastic.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
Yeah now I know where JBs dislike for GM really comes from. If anyone thinks foreign automakers treat their workers let alone contract workers so great, they have another thing coming. I could tell some tales about the Honda operation in Ohio. This is just the way things are done now.

Yeah, now I can see where JB comes from. I work with some people who are contract workers. They are great employees, but like you said - not GM employees so they have no real say in anything. He needs to understand that.

Unfortunately, "union made" doesn't really equate with quality. I mean, the vast majority of our local government employees are unionized, and I can't imagine many of us are happy with their product.

The only place unions are really thriving is in the public sector and it is because governments have unlimited resources (the pockets of the taxpayer) to meet union demands. Private companies, like GM, go broke trying to meet the demands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back