Are Bosch o2 sensors really this bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SAATR
Originally Posted By: cchase
I don't believe this is necessarily the case here but I would never trust NAPA or any of the chains on part numbers, I've seen multiple issues where their computer (and I presume they all use the same database) have been completely wrong for my truck on sensor part numbers.

An example was coolant temp sensors, for which every chain I went to (NAPA, AAP, PB, etc) had the same part number for both when in fact they were NOT the same part (or part number). Had to suck it up and head to the dealer who confirmed the different part numbers.

More than likely some inept parts people thinking that a coolant temperature sensor and a coolant temperature sending unit or simply temperature sending unit were the same thing. From memory, I think your coolant temp sensor (for the computer) is a WT3000 (BWD part number) and the one for the gauge is a WT3024, though I am prone to bouts of CRS
lol.gif
. The computers CAN and WILL be wrong on occasion (such as with Toyota AC parts), but the mantra to remember is this: when in doubt, get the book out.

Bosch O2 sensors are a mixed bag: some work splendidly and some are [censored] right out of the box. Best thing to do is to go with OEM if there is a doubt about compatibility, which Denso, NGK, and Bosch make the vast majority of.

The computer spec'ed the same part number for the gauge and computer, even though I was holding them both in my hand. I looked at the screen myself. When it was wrong at AAP that's when I started heading to the other joints, which had the same problem.

Some engine/O2S combos aren't matches made in heaven, but a heater circuit malfunction sounds like either a bad connection, or you just got a defective O2S.

I've had good luck with Bosch so far. It's the OEM O2S for my wife's '99 Altima, and I have 56,000 miles on an un-heated Bosch in my '89 Olds 88.

Originally Posted By: cchase
I don't believe this is necessarily the case here but I would never trust NAPA or any of the chains on part numbers, I've seen multiple issues where their computer (and I presume they all use the same database) have been completely wrong for my truck on sensor part numbers.

An example was coolant temp sensors, for which every chain I went to (NAPA, AAP, PB, etc) had the same part number for both when in fact they were NOT the same part (or part number). Had to suck it up and head to the dealer who confirmed the different part numbers.

I agree. I've seen chain stores with incorrect part numbers many times. It is true of one of my current vehicles.
I have used a lot of Bosch 02 sensors over the years and have yet to get a bad one. I have never tried their spark plugs.

The light came back on. 13 miles after installing the 2nd new one. Same po135 code. I'm thinking the rumors I have heard about Bosch O2 sensors were true.

I'll add them to the list of products I wont use.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
The light came back on. 13 miles after installing the 2nd new one. Same po135 code. I'm thinking the rumors I have heard about Bosch O2 sensors were true.

Weird.

I have 35k on my Bosch O2 sensor without any problems. Is your particular Bosch sensor made specifically for your vehicle or does it fit a variety of vehicles? Use Rockauto to check this, that could explain why.

My universal 1-wire bosch sensors have worked fine. P/N 11079? for GM, 18mm thread.

Originally Posted By: Chris142

Could the heater circuit wiring connector be worn/loose?

I just installed a Bosch 4 wire o2 sensor in a 2001 4runner. Although the mount was different the sensor was identical in construction, colors, materials, and lettering to the OEM sensor made by ND.

Add me to the list of Bosch doubters. I used one of their universals in a 1999 Hyundai Elantra, the car never got the same fuel economy after. Oh well.

Agreed on using the same brand sensor you took out as replacement. My Buick didn't run that well on a Denso sensor. Replaced it with a Delco (made in USA, surprise, surprise) and fuel economy is back up. The sensors looked identical aside from the Delco having a more "finished" appearance that looked like the OEM one taken out a year ago.

Originally Posted By: The Critic

Weird.

Is your particular Bosch sensor made specifically for your vehicle or does it fit a variety of vehicles?
It'e the one that it calls for as a direct fit. It even comes with the proper connector.

Napa, A-Zone and Pepboys show the same number.

Originally Posted By: tom slick

Could the heater circuit wiring connector be worn/loose?

looks ok to me. I never had any O2 codes untill I put these in. This one, the one for cyl 1,2 and 3 looks much different than what I took out. The rear one looks just like the old ones.

The part that sticks into the exhaust streem is much different but I'm sure that there are minor differences between stock and OE sometimes.

I have $200 worth of OE sensors coming from Jeep.

I replaced the factory O2 on my 1996 Ford Contour with a Bosch O2 over 35,000 miles ago. I didn't replace the factory one because of a problem but because of minor running issues. I thought maybe the factory O2 was getting "lazy". The Bosch didn't change any thing but it runs the same as the factory O2. The factory O2 was either a Denso or NGK, I don't remember. I got a vehicle specific replacement O2 not the universal model.

Whimsey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back