Are Alkylated Naphthalenes the secret sauce in motor oil?

Are they what allows the better performance of oils while using less additives?

Or are they just a part of a better base oil mix and better additives?

I don't think there is a single ingredient that automatically makes an oil a winner. AN's are not an inexpensive component, so they're typically limited to being used in higher end oils. They also have their cons.
But is AN the reason we see oils meeting these higher oil specs while using less additives, or are the additives just better?

I don't think there is a single ingredient that automatically makes an oil a winner. AN's are not an inexpensive component, so they're typically limited to being used in higher end oils. They also have their cons.
Most of what I read was positive. What are the cons?
So AN would more likely be used in oils like HPL, Amsoil etc.

But is AN the reason we see oils meeting these higher oil specs while using less additives, or are the additives just better?
By itself, no. There are multiple ways of achieving a high(er) performing finished product. Additive suppliers may offer multiple tiers of additive packages, and in combination with the desired mix of base oils, a blender can meet their desired performance target.

It's like baking a cookie - does using premium chocolate chips automatically guarantee a better cookie? No.

I do read. But if all we did was read and didn't ask questions and get redponses this wouldn't be a forum would it?

I don't think so. A forum may also exist to place questions in existing
and interesting threads. Why the heck must you start another one?
Hey, you joined this forum in 2008, not in 2024. No less than 16 years.

And why do people feel the need to get snarky instead of helpful and spreading knowledge?

No one is 'snarky'. It's your perception.

Has it taken on more of a role in modern oils instead PAO or esters?
I have no idea what you mean by this.

As stated dozens of times on BITOG, most lubricants are a mix of various base oil types of various viscosities blended with additives for a performance target.

The Phrase: "My Favorite Base Oil' is a silly and uninformed statement.

No. As stated dozens of times on BITOG, most lubricants are a mix of various base oil types of various viscosities blended with additives for a performance target.
Yes you and others have stated that but that doesn't give us all the info we might be curious about.
I can say cake mixes are a mix of various ingredients but that doesn't tell people all the info they might want to know.
So AN's may or may not not be in various motor oils. Got it.

Yes you and others have stated that but that doesn't give us all the info we might be curious about.
I can say cake mixes are a mix of various ingredients but that doesn't tell people all the info they might want to know.
So AN's may or may not not be in various motor oils. Got it.
You know what’s funny? I was going to use the cake analogy, and ask if a certain flour makes great cakes.

And, like you, the answer is - it’s a good start, but the rest of the ingredients matter, too.

As does the baker.

You know what’s funny? I was going to use the cake analogy, and ask if a certain flour makes great cakes.

And, like you, the answer is - it’s a good start, but the rest of the ingredients matter, too.

As does the baker.
Great minds.....lol

Back