April 8, 2014 - The Day Windows XP Dies???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Triple_Se7en

$50 Site Donor 2024
What exactly will happen to Windows XP systems beyond this date? I have an XP laptop that I use for streaming media to my HD TV.

Will this essentially be a death sentence?
Will this be comparable to a terminally-ill patient being moved to a Hospice Center?
Must I seriously consider upgrading to Windows 7 / 8 on Black Friday?

I would say not. Basically Microsoft is discontinuing the extended support phase. No new updates and limited support for the aging operating system.

XP still is a good OS and much can be done with it.

If you have a semi-modern PC that isn't slow as beans, with a decent antivirus solution that will remain compatible with XP and a standards compliant web browser (I believe Google says Chrome will continue to be supported) I think you will be OK.

XP will not just stop working but microsoft will no longer provide updates or patches to link new software/hardware/ or security fixes.
You could look into a Linux distribution such as XBMC or Mythbuntu. Both are excellent OS's for streaming to televisions and they are FREE!

Microsoft already reports that XP is far more vulnerable to attacks than Vista and 7 or 8.

Once security updates are ended you are exposed unless the user is careful about using the internet, very careful.

I've been dreading the thought of XP no longer being updated by MSFT. I have Win 7, Vista, and XP, I spend the most time on my XP computer and have grown very fond of Win XP.

Extended support ends. You can still use XP and download all previous updates/patches. They will not fix any new issues after that date, meaning security holes or bugs will remain unfixed forever.

You need to get off XP now anyways. It's over a decade old. Third-party apps are going to stop supporting it soon (Chrome, Firefox, VLC, iTunes, etc).

It will always work just like it does now. The problem is the rest of the world will move forward and no longer create applications for it.

I get this question at work as our software ends support for it at the end of 2013. Everything now will still work fine, it's just whatever we make from here going forward won't be tested on XP (and won't be fixed if it doesn't work on XP).

I, personally, would probably not upgrade a PC from xp just because of this. But when that hardware dies it will be a learning curve (thankfully win 8.1 fixes this some) because you won't be getting another XP machine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: InhalingBullets
You could look into a Linux distribution such as XBMC or Mythbuntu. Both are excellent OS's for streaming to televisions and they are FREE!

Or he could just continue using XP for his low use streaming computer...

I personally think Microsoft has been very gracious in their support of Windows XP. XP was released back in 2001, at the same time as Mac OS 10.1, also called Puma. I'm pretty sure Apple doesn't support OS X back much older than 10.6 "Snow Leopard", which came out in 2009, or possibly 10.5 "Leopard", which came out in 2007.

XP users have been fortunate, in my opinion, that Microsoft has supported the operating system for so long.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
I personally think Microsoft has been very gracious in their support of Windows XP. XP was released back in 2001, at the same time as Mac OS 10.1, also called Puma. I'm pretty sure Apple doesn't support OS X back much older than 10.6 "Snow Leopard", which came out in 2009, or possibly 10.5 "Leopard", which came out in 2007.

XP users have been fortunate, in my opinion, that Microsoft has supported the operating system for so long.

They've done that because large corporate customers continue forking over HUGE amounts of money every year for extended support. I can tell you that there are corporations who are still planning to spend huge money on third-party support contracts for XP well past April 2014.

I would suggest moving away from it. Rumors have it that the bad guys are saving vulnerabilities they're aware of but Microsoft isn't. They'll wait until MS stops patching and then start using the new exploits - which will go unpatched. Probably not safe to stay with XP if you're online past April.

Last edited:
you guys need to upgrade and update, in order to keep up with the times (which fly fast in today's high tech world)

I used to be a loyal Microsoft user, dating back long before XP. I bought a custom built Sony Vaio laptop with Vista that was the fastest for it's time (I upgraded the processor and RAM to the MAX Sony could stick in that notebook) and have enjoyed it for several years. Windows 7 came out and I upgraded, in order to try it out (my laptop was compatible) I HATED Windows 7 and went back to Vista where I stayed for a while, thinking it was the best since sliced bread, although there was plenty that I absolutely HATED about it.

Last year, my younger sister convinced me to try her new Macbook Pro for a few days, and although I hated it at first, I FELL IN LOVE! I ordered a custom built Macbook Pro with all the goodies and haven't looked back since. The speed and features aren't even close to Vista and my older Sony Vaio. The Mac functions so well that my 4 year old Sony Vaio should be ashamed of itself even though it's not that far behind, on paper anyway.

The Vaio is now worth $150 (paid $2,200 for it 4 years ago) and all I want to do is set it on fire to rid the world of it's slow and miserable existence.

You guys STILL STUCK on using XP need to move on, because lets face it, on April 8th, 2014, your operating system will CRASH as it's soul (Microsoft support) leaves the computer and will never be the same. Abandon ship now before it's too late and you're the last one on board (think, Titanic)

Originally Posted By: webfors
Ubuntu

will help them continue using XP how?

if they dont want to use windows 7 or 8

I doubt they will want to switch to linux vs XP.

If I had a workstation thats not connected to any computers or the internet I'd continue using xp

In fact I have a few dos cad stations that still use windows 98 that I support.

I'd hate to see people posting on here about getting a driveby CRYPTOLOCKER type malware on their computer simply by visiting a site with windows XP.... Its Coming.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Artem
you guys need to upgrade and update, in order to keep up with the times (which fly fast in today's high tech world)

I used to be a loyal Microsoft user, dating back long before XP. I bought a custom built Sony Vaio laptop with Vista that was the fastest for it's time (I upgraded the processor and RAM to the MAX Sony could stick in that notebook) and have enjoyed it for several years. Windows 7 came out and I upgraded, in order to try it out (my laptop was compatible) I HATED Windows 7 and went back to Vista where I stayed for a while, thinking it was the best since sliced bread, although there was plenty that I absolutely HATED about it.

Last year, my younger sister convinced me to try her new Macbook Pro for a few days, and although I hated it at first, I FELL IN LOVE! I ordered a custom built Macbook Pro with all the goodies and haven't looked back since. The speed and features aren't even close to Vista and my older Sony Vaio. The Mac functions so well that my 4 year old Sony Vaio should be ashamed of itself even though it's not that far behind, on paper anyway.

The Vaio is now worth $150 (paid $2,200 for it 4 years ago) and all I want to do is set it on fire to rid the world of it's slow and miserable existence.

You guys STILL STUCK on using XP need to move on, because lets face it, on April 8th, 2014, your operating system will CRASH as it's soul (Microsoft support) leaves the computer and will never be the same. Abandon ship now before it's too late and you're the last one on board (think, Titanic)

Didn't happen with win2k and won't happen with XP. I've worked on a few CNC machines that are still rockin' Win2k. And support for that OS is LONG gone.

And I can't believe you liked Vista over 7!
crazy2.gif
It is MASSIVELY slower on a fresh install.

Windows 7 came out and I upgraded, in order to try it out (my laptop was compatible) I HATED Windows 7 and went back to Vista where I stayed for a while, thinking it was the best since sliced bread...

This may be the first (and the last) time that I have or will read a statement like this.

Seriously, I know of nobody else who prefers Vista over 7. I've owned two computers built in the 2005/2006 timeframe, one of which I still have, that came with XP MCE, then upgraded to Vista, then upgraded to 7. 7 ran the best on both, far exceeding the performance of Vista, and running better even than the original XP MCE.

People that prefer Vista over 7 are the ones who don't like change. I've seen a few of these.

Things on their Vista computer a "just right", any change that Win7 brings is only for the worse.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Windows 7 came out and I upgraded, in order to try it out (my laptop was compatible) I HATED Windows 7 and went back to Vista where I stayed for a while, thinking it was the best since sliced bread...

This may be the first (and the last) time that I have or will read a statement like this.

Seriously, I know of nobody else who prefers Vista over 7. I've owned two computers built in the 2005/2006 timeframe, one of which I still have, that came with XP MCE, then upgraded to Vista, then upgraded to 7. 7 ran the best on both, far exceeding the performance of Vista, and running better even than the original XP MCE.

Who cares, that's long behind me now. I own two Mac's, an iPhone 5S and an Ipad. Nothing in my house has a Microsoft logo on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back