Anyone use pads on their foor jacks?

51sr1pwQo6L._AC_SX679_.jpg

s-l300.jpg

61zGW7-ZIYL.jpg

I've never used on. Had a jack slip on me yesterday as there wasn't much lift on.

Somewhat related... my jack has a 13/16" hole that the rotating pad fits-in to. I also have a 4"wideflange (I beam) section that spans rocker panel to rocker panel, with a short length of cold-rolled 13/16" round barstock welded to the flange of the I beam, midspan. This allows me to put the beam onto the jack and lift one end of the car without worrying about the I beam tumbling-off the jack.

I use one on unibody vehicles I lift by the pinch weld, especially if there's little left of it due to rust... IF I can't find a better spot which I try to.

It all depends on what point you're trying to jack.

Even if you don't have those issues, I've seldom found cases where it was worse to use a puck, makes me wonder why more jack manufacturers don't include them, but of course there's that slight added cost.

I used to use a hockey puck. But my BMW slipped off it one day (there was a bit of oil on the front lift point).

Now I use an octagonal chunk of 2" thick softwood (made from a 2" X 4"). It fits inside the round receptacle on the jack. Inexpensive. The lift point on the car indents the wooden block..

[You orient it so the lift point crosses the grain. Otherwise the chunk might split and the vehicle could potentially drop that 2".]

Could make it out of 3/4" plywood. No concern about splitting then.

Now I use an octagonal chunk of 2" thick softwood (made from a 2" X 4"). It fits inside the round receptacle on the jack. Inexpensive. The lift point on the car indents the wooden block..

I've had jack pads on my shopping list but have never gotten around to actually buying them, after cutting a portion off a scrap 2x4 on hand, which also helps distribute the force over a greater area of the subframe lift point. Since it is starting to crumble after many years, last time at the home center, picked up a replacement off the cull/scrap pile for free. Perfect length as well.

I use a round rubber pad like the one on the bottom photo. Never had a problem.

51sr1pwQo6L._AC_SX679_.jpg

s-l300.jpg

61zGW7-ZIYL.jpg

I've never used on. Had a jack slip on me yesterday as there wasn't much lift on.
Yes I use them on my floor jacks and jack stands....a hockey puck will work also...for the pinch weld on the side I cut a groove in the puck to fit the pinch weld..

A 2x4 block of wood works for me. I like to spread the load out as much as possible. I will use a hockey puck if the 2x4 is too big. I rarely, if ever, just use the bare jack.

My 2 heavier capacity jacks have rubber pads. My smaller one does not. I like to use the rubber pads to prevent paint damage on the point of lift.

Just my $0.02

I took a blue harbor freight caster an cut a pinch weld slot in it. Works like the hockey puck idea as both are made of similar material and are about the same size. Mississippi doesn't have a lot of hockey pucks even though we've had pro teams.

I have the one at bottom of your post. It fits on the HF Daytona jack, but does not "lock in". It just kind of sits on top of the saddle. I find myself constantly checking to ensure the pad did not move and I'm still on the center of the saddle.

Last edited:
I bought some of the newer Harbor Freight- Daytona jack stands.. the ones with a circular support pad and circular feet.. I ended up getting some of those hockey-puck supports for the pinch weld area.. Man! I should've gotten those long ago! love them.. yup have the hockey-puck pad on top of the circular pad.

and love both the hockey pucks and these new jack stands, nice and stable.. the height is awesome!

1698590742680.jpeg

Back