Anyone use Ed's Red?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why mess with the trouble of making it when there are already many safe and effective gun cleaners on the market?

Do a search for Ed's Red... I hear its VERY effective.

Most of the stuff you buy in a store are composed of very easily obtainable components. I wouldn't be surprised if many were just mainly kerosene and stoddard solvents.

I am assuming you want to put the ammonia in there to remove the copper fouling. I don't know if that will work very well in the presence of all that oil (ATF). And that sounds like a LOT of ammonia (25%). Anything with a lot of ammonia will cut right through linseed finish to bare wood in seconds (like 3 seconds, not 30). Sweet's 7.62 ammonia laden solvent cautions against leaving it in more than 15 mins. I hear it may cause corrosion if left in for a long time (don't know how long is long) I do use straight ammonia to strip gunky stocks and that thin hardened cosmo that resists everything else, takes seconds to come off and after water rinsing I have had no problems.

I dont have a wood stock or any wood parts... but I hear Acetone (original part of Ed's Red) does the same thing to wood finish. My rifle is all steel/plastic/synthetic fiberglass. I'll be using it only for the bore and gas piston.

quote:

Originally posted by metroplex:
I dont have a wood stock or any wood parts... but I hear Acetone (original part of Ed's Red) does the same thing to wood finish. My rifle is all steel/plastic/synthetic fiberglass.

Be real careful around the plastic with acetone.

As in Ed Harris's recipe for a bore cleaner?

It's:
1 part ATF (Dexron III/Mercon)
1 part Kerosene
1 part Mineral Spirits
1 part Acetone
optional: Lanolin

Will this take off paint? They say its great for removing carbon fouling.

I'm thinking of replacing Acetone with Ammonia and replacing Kerosense + Mineral Spirits with WD-40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back