Anyone tried the new "drytech" filters from AEM?

Status
Not open for further replies.
They basically say right on the box that the cotton guaze oil filters they've been selling for years let in too much dirt. The new drytech filters are supposedly made of a synthetic fiber and filter much more efficiently. No oil is used on this filter.

It looks a lot like a paper element, but is supposedly reusable after cleaning with their special cleaning agent.

I think you're referring the the "DryFlow" filters. From what I've seen and read, I'm impressed. I'm not a fan of the oiled cotton gauze. One person on my Mazda3 board has one on his CAI and he said the quality is A1.

Also check out this thread:
DryFlow

I was thinking about getting a dryflow for a few of my intakes, but then i realized that I have never had a problem with my K&N's. Myabe some day in the future.

Sounds kind of like Amsoil's new filters. It's nice that someone is finally offereing non-cotton filters in cone sizes.

The AEM Dryflow seems to have not degraded performance at all and I didn't expect it to since it is probably more than large enough to flow as much air as the little 4.6L needs. I was wanting a paper cone filter for my CAI setup, for various reasons, to replace the oiled filter and this may just be a better alternative. The filter is well constructed and seals on the MAF housing just as tight as any filter I have used. I like the internal cage used to keep the filter from colapsing and to help it hold its shape. Since I just installed it I have no input on cleaning and since they say cleaning are needed about every 20,000 miles, it looks like I won't be doing that for a while.

The AEM short ram I ordered came with one which was surprising because they hadn't announced them yet!

Frankly I can't tell if it's working any better but it certainly is stronger due to the construction. The older ones were easy to crush where this seems much more substantial.....so far so good.

It does require their own cleaner which I have.

quote:

I think you're referring the the "DryFlow" filters. From what I've seen and read, I'm impressed. I'm not a fan of the oiled cotton gauze. One person on my Mazda3 board has one on his CAI and he said the quality is A1.

I'm the person that he's referring to. I installed the AEM DryFlow on my Injen intake (ironic eh?
wink.gif
) and I must say that I think it's great. Can't tell if there's a performance difference or not, but then again I wasn't expecting a change in that aspect of things. I purchased it to get rid of the **** oiled cotton gauze filter that was on my intake. I've had it on for several thousand miles, and before (with the OE Injen filter) there would be a small layer of grime inside the piping (paritally from poor filtration, and partially from the tacky oil on the filter itself). Now with the AEM DryFlow, there's NO layer of dust / grime.

I'm completely satisfied!
grin.gif

If you want one to replace a K&N-style conical filter, they only make them in small sizes, for Civics and the like.

I need a larger one for my truck, they don't make them that large.

Wow, thanks Laga.

I called AEM about three weeks ago, they said they didn't have anything with a 4-inch opening.

Obviously, they do
cheers.gif

And based on that link, a $40 filter will only cost me $10 per month with easy financing!

Just got a e-mail. The new filter has just been shipped. Will post how the filter works out

I am currently running a 4" x 9" DryFlow filter (p/n 21-2059DK) on my 1999 Dodge Cummins. I have modified the engine so it puts down around 380 RWHP to the ground (injectors, turbo, ecm, 4" exhaust). The turbo really sings under boost conditions but stabilizes when purring along. Seat of the pants meter indicated faster spoolup and acceleration. Am monitoring fuel mileage on long trips to see any gains/losses. Will conduct oil analysis at next oil change to see if any dirt is being passed.

Apparently these AEM Dryflows aren't manufactured in drop-in sizes yet. Can't wait until they are, since this seems to be an ideal performance filter.

AEM's website states the media is polyester. It would be interesting to see it magnified, and compared to the oiled gauze types. I predict we'll see other filter brands using this same type media in the future.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back