Anyone run old green antifreeze anymore? ....where

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: The_Eric
You're likening "green's" lifespan to GO5 because they have a similar level of one ingredient?

No.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Originally Posted By: The_Eric
You're likening "green's" lifespan to GO5 because they have a similar level of one ingredient?

No.

Okay, I must have misunderstood your post. Thanks for clarifying...

Wait, after I re-read it, I think I've got it now. Reading comprehension FTW....

My sister-in-law topped up her 05' Corolla with PEAK original green a few years ago and it doesn't seemed to have harmed anything (mixing with Toyota fluid).
I'm thinking of flushing her system and using original green (because I have it).
Does anybody foresee a problem?

The Eric,

The "old" "green snot of death" conventional coolant had much higher levels of silicate and was recommended for 2 year/30,000 mile changes (someone correct my failing memory if incorrect about the change interval). I never had problems with it.

Unlike today's conventional coolant (with the addition of SCA), the old stuff was never recommended for diesel engines due to cavitation (high silicates).

The purpose of my "preaching from the pulpit": It seems that the stigma of the "old green" still lingers for many people considering the "new green". Nobody worries about using G05 with 240 ppm silicates, yet shun the green conventional coolant with 250ppm silicates (+/-). I imagine they changed the chemistry in other ways beyond just lowering the silicate level.

However, the stigma still affects me, because I feel like 50 to 70 thousand miles or 3 to 4 years is more appropriate. Go figure.

11.gif

Advance carries old school Peak original green formula. I use it in my '02 Ford and do a drain 'n fill every 1-2 yrs.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
The Eric,

The "old" "green snot of death" conventional coolant had much higher levels of silicate and was recommended for 2 year/30,000 mile changes (someone correct my failing memory if incorrect about the change interval). I never had problems with it.

Unlike today's conventional coolant (with the addition of SCA), the old stuff was never recommended for diesel engines due to cavitation (high silicates).

The purpose of my "preaching from the pulpit": It seems that the stigma of the "old green" still lingers for many people considering the "new green". Nobody worries about using G05 with 240 ppm silicates, yet shun the green conventional coolant with 250ppm silicates (+/-). I imagine they changed the chemistry in other ways beyond just lowering the silicate level.

However, the stigma still affects me, because I feel like 50 to 70 thousand miles or 3 to 4 years is more appropriate. Go figure.

11.gif

I'm with you on the stigma and the approximate mileage (although I'm closer to 3yrs/30k)

Yep----
I had the cooling system flushed out to get rid of the dex cool on my 96 Yukon and put in conventional green. Auto Zone still sells it. The radiator shop I used also stocks conventional green. Been 2.5 years and it's all good. I did have to replace the original water pump earlier this year, but that may be just due to age and mileage (151,xxx).

Originally Posted By: zrxkawboy
Around here, I can get green from both NAPA and Menards under their own labels.
I wonder if that NAPA might be rebadged Zerex-just as their oil is made by Valvoline-Zerex is getting hard to find around here, even the Valvoline distributor doesn't usually have it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back