Anyone owns a baby Glock?

Status
Not open for further replies.
so my interest in a hand gun has been rekindled, after a horror story event that took near our neighborhood. My previous research on guns was distracted by exams etc.

I am still interested in the Glock 26.
We need something light and small for home/personal defense, and also easy enough for my wife to use and dependable.

I was wondering if anyone has any expreiences with the "baby" Glock AKA Glock 26

Also, i tried to search Authorized Glock dealers in our area and their site doesn't have a "dealers" link.

Is it advisable to buy a gun online AFTER trying it out at a local store, and making sure it's what I want? (in case it's cheap online).

If it's going to be for your home, get a larger Glock, either the Glock 17 or Glock 19. The advantage of the G26 is size, which should be a non-factor in your case. The geometry of the gun, grip angle, trigger reach etc. are the same for all three so get the bigger gun AND a security bedside safe AND night sights AND a good flashlight AND lots of ammo for practice.

If you buy online, it still has to be shipped to someone with a FFA license and that can cost money. I like to buy from a reputable retailer that I trust in case there are ever problems.

I like the thought of a shotgun to, no real aiming point and fire and no matter what language you speak a shot gun cocking in the dark all sounds the same can be pretty intimidating if someone is in your home may just be enough to make them leave with no problems. However I am not much into guns other than for hunting so I don't know much about the styles. Anyway when I was looking for a hand gun a gun shop owner said to get a revolver, easier for the wife and less likely to jam. I guess some of those pistols can be a little tough to pull back on. The only downside is you can't just jam another clip in, but with practice you should not need that many shots. Just some extra info.

I agree with a revolver if you anticipate your wife using it. Easy to tell if it's loaded, and it's foolproof, which is what you need in the height of panic.

I would recommend looking at the G19. It is small enough to easily carry concealed, but large enough to handle well. The G26 is pretty small; you probably cannot get a full, proper grip on it.

Regarding the Glock vs revolver argument, each has their place. Either is loaded 100% of the time, either will reliably fire at the pull of a trigger. Some people feel better being able to see and play with the the hammer of the revolver. Some people like having 15 rounds to play with. And so forth and so on. I would suggest that you AND your wife handle and shoot both and make up your own minds.

robert

Glocks have a loaded chamber indicator, so ease of telling if it is loaded is a non-issue. Also, consider that it will probably be dark, and that there is nothing on Earth less useful than an unloaded gun. If it's kept for defense, it's kept loaded.

Revolvers are FAR from jam-proof. Though in my experience slightly more tolerant of neglect, dust bunnies, etc, the difference is measured in hundredths of a percent. Give me 17 rounds of 9mm and a faster reload over six rounds of .38 any day.

A shotgun is a fantastic HD weapon, but the OP said he wanted a Glock. Anyone who thinks a shotgun doesn't need to be aimed is simply wrong. At across-the-room distances, a shotgun will put all its pellets inside a softball-sized hole. You have a greater margin for error, yes, but it is hardly an area weapon. Also, pump-action shotguns are FAR more prone to jamming than either a pistol, revolver or semi-auto shotgun. Go to any gun club on any given weekend and watch the pump-gunners drop targets because they short-stroked their guns. I realize Mossberg 590s look cool, but they require practice to master and kick viciously with defensive loads. I would never recommend one for a beginner.

Consider also that the OP's wife must be ablet to use the weapon. Will she be willing to subject herself to the recoil of a shotgun during range sessions? If she is not willing to practice, consider a can of MACE instead.

I personally use a Glock 19 pistol with an attached flashlight. I switched from a shotgun because I wanted to be able to open doors, turn on lights, CALL THE POLICE, etc. and so that meant no shotgun.

EDITED TO ADD: I just saw that robertcope made my point for me, and far more concisely.

Last edited:
I agree with the above comment that if you ever anticipate your wife using the weapon that you go with a revolver. I also believe you should go to a store that allows you to try different weapons before you buy, and find one that you are both comfortable with. I prefer a S&W Model 686 Plus. Can fire either .357 Mag or .38, 7 rounds, nice 4 inch barrel, medium frame, perfection as far as I am concerned...

And mind you I was previous LEO. I hated it when our dept went from the .38s to the friggin Glocks. The Glocks felt, to me, dead and lifeless. The S&W felt like an extension of me.

Last edited:
Yep I never thought of getting a hand gun until my Sister starting putting the seed in my mind. I will be getting one at some point. There are just way too many crazies out there for me.

My Sister has had the Glock gun name recommended more than once. I noticed that Cabelas had a flyer in the paper with a lot of hand guns of different brands. Seems like the prices seemed really fair. If there is one near you that would give you a decent price with customer support/ammo.

Don't have much to add other than that. The only gun I have is a .38 revolver that's an antique that is not worth a whole lot of money, never fired it either.

Here's why i am leaning towards the baby glock:
Wife's hands are small, and mine are not huge. I can get grip extender mags if I need more grip.
I like the versatility of the Glock that it accepts 10,12,19, and 33 mags.
But that's not a main point.
what I want is something that's easy to shoot with and I do like the fact that Glocks only have trigger and internal safeties, and nothing that you have to do before shooting.

I love the Baby Glock. I was 32 years on the Dallas Police. I carried a revolver from 75-89 when we switched over to autos. I carried a Glock 17 in uniform and bought a 26 for off duty. I actually seem to shoot a little better with the 26. I think its because my hands are fairly small and with the extender or with a longer magazine it makes for a really good grip. I'm retired but qualify at our range once a year. I put my Glock 17 magazines in the 26 and it works just fine. Last time I shot better than any of the in-service guys. I put it in a little holster before I put it in my pocket for safety. I don't think it would be safe to carry it inside your pants without a holster.

Have you shot one? You might want to go to a range and try several out. Try several guns and see what feels right and what you shoot well gun as well as caliber. Rent a few and try them before you buy.

Not a bad idea Spasm3. We originally had the choice of Sig, Glock or Beretta when we switched over to autos. I loved the Glock from the start but some people don't like it at all. I shot a Sig some time back and thought it was horrible.

I have put a huge amounts of rounds through both revolver, and semi-auto in all makes, models, grip angles, etc.. rimfire, and centerfire.. If you choose the glock get the midsized model which should provide a full hand grip, and enough barrel length to easily point/fire.

When looking for a concealed carry gun, or home defense many people go for the size only first...comfort all else later which is a huge mistake, I have also owned a baby glock and I didn't care for it at all. I forget how many rounds it held, however the grip was insufficient for me 1-2 fingers dangling in air they make and extension for this but that brings it up to the next model size. Also when going down that far on round count when looking at sheer firepower etc the baby glock has very little over the revolver then you add reliability to the revolver wins out unless you have a disdain for revolvers.

I was unhappy with the baby glock myself you give up to many rounds, uncomfortable, and a female getting used to shooting it will add a lot more kick and less control.

Caliber will be a horrible thing to try to pick by listening to people, everyone has a love affair and what they have is bets, or what they like anyway... really all the current production glock pistol calibers are great, I would choose 9mm just for the economic price of practice, availability etc.

If you have kids teach them about guns, don't hide them expecting them to never find the gun... show them what it can do to a bottle of water several times, teach them about firearm safety, and put the fear of god in them depending on age.

When I got my concealed carry permit last year I got a Glock 26 to use as my carry gun. Even though the Baby Glock is relatively light, I still found it uncomfortable for everyday carry. I wound up selling it and getting a Ruger LCR and then a S&W 360 (scandium frame). I can carry either of these all day and not even realize I'm carrying.

For home defense, I'd recommend a revolver or shotgun, not the Glock. The G26 is not an easy gun to master.

Here's my first range session with the Glock 26:

Glock_target-1.jpg

By contrast, here's my first range session with my SIG P225 And this is two clips shot rapid fire:

P225_T2.jpg

Thanks for the comments.
No shot guns. I need it for home and carry when necessary.
I would also prefer to have a pistol and not a revolver.

I guess I am going to see which gun shops in the area carry Glocks, and try it and other similar guns out.

Do the compact Glocks have a smaller/thinner grip, or is it just shorter?

Take a look at the S&W M&P series. Their adjustable "small" grip seems thinner than a full size Glock.

If your wife is to use the pistol, make sure she can EASILY rack the slide with no problems. Many woman have problems with this as they don't typically have the upper body strength of men. This will be exacerbated by the small gun as the springs have to be heavier.

If she can't rack the slide with no problems, look to another gun as this is necessary to load and UNLOAD the gun as well as clearing jambs. This is not an issue with a revolver.

Plus, a revolver is far more simple in it's operation. This is very important for "non-gun" people that don't use it often and just want a gun on hand. A lot less to remember and also point and shoot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back