anyone know Ford 8N tractors?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, the 8N has a metal canister that you remove the lid from to replace the filter cartridge or element. Drain the canister by means of the 1/8" pipe plug before removing the element. There is a seal under the lid and under the bolt. I personally use a Purolator filter in my 8N. I purchase it from Pep Boys or Advanced Auto. Other options are Fram (TSC), New Holland, NAPA, etc. Philip.

I ran down to NAPA at lunch to see if I could find
this filter. I said to the guy, "I need an oil
filter for my old Ford 8N tractor...".

Without looking at his computer he said, "Yep, that
would be a WIX 51010!" He had it in stock.

I'm thinking, "Good job NAPA!". I've got to take
more of my business to these guys. Or maybe this
filter isn't as difficult to find as I thought.

Thanks, Cliff

I've got a 1951 Ford 8N tractor. Thing still runs
like a champ, but I'm thinking of doing an Auto-Rx
on it. Anyway, before I can do that, I need to
figure out the oil filter on this thing.

It's not a modern "self-contained" filter and
canister... I guess you just change the element.

Can this be found around town, or do I need to
order it from an online source (and pay the
shipping......)?

I used to have a 8N. It uses Wix 51010 or equivalent.

I bet you could get the NAPA branded filter locally. Or combine with your other filter needs and order a Wix from Filter1.com. (free freight for orders over $50)

Those old 8N's are pretty easy to find anything for. There are lots of aftermarket suppliers. TSC is a good store and since New Holland ended up with the Ford tractor line they usually have what you want.

If you want to learn more about the old 8N, check out a web site called "Yesterday's Tractors." They have all kinds of useful stuff and a lot of fella's that can help you keep your tractor running for a long time. They've help me keep my old Case "D" running for several years now.

8NTractors.com
YTMag
ford8n
TractorData.com

Those should get you started!

Have fun!
smile.gif

You can also try Just8N's at Just8ns.com . Don Barkley has service that is second to none. If you don't see what you need on his website call him and he'll either have it or find it.

John Smith also has an excellent page with information and some hard-to-find parts.

N Tractor Club has some good information as well. Ed Gooding has possibly the largest archive of reference material anywhere.

And yes, I have a 1947 2N and close relationships with a couple of 8N's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back