Anyone ever make their own antifreeze?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to try more for giggles than anything else, just want someone to check the recipe before I make it

Glycol base, listed by weight:

Ethylene glycol: 97.43%
Sodium tetraborate pentahydrate (borax, anti-corrosive agent for aluminum): 2.5%
Tricresyl phosphate (anti foam for the borax): .07%

From there I can dilute by volume as needed. Am I missing anything / suggestions?

Before I get the lecture about buying it because it's cheaper... I know. I just like experimenting and playing around

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Nope, never have, but I'd love to see your results.

Add me to that list. Happy New Year!

While interesting, I do not have enough free time to deal with making my own coolant. The average person does not need a lot in any one year and its just easier to buy Zerex products at NAPA. I suppose you could blend your own oil also, but again the time factor.

No lectures about being cheaper, but a small lecture (question) about why you would want to do that. Why would you risk damage to your vehicle like this? I sure wouldn't want to try it.

Originally Posted By: SnowDrifter
I want to try more for giggles than anything else, just want someone to check the recipe before I make it

Glycol base, listed by weight:

Ethylene glycol: 97.43%
Sodium tetraborate pentahydrate (borax, anti-corrosive agent for aluminum): 2.5%
Tricresyl phosphate (anti foam for the borax): .07%

From there I can dilute by volume as needed. Am I missing anything / suggestions?

Before I get the lecture about buying it because it's cheaper... I know. I just like experimenting and playing around

I see that you are a student. You idea sounds interesting. Why don't you make a small amount and set up some sort of test using metals that are common to auto engines. Would need to be long term with a way to heat it for random periods of time. Something to think about.

Hello, Hey SnowDrifter, whereya going to get the ingredients?

If someone asks an impossible question or poses a far fetched idea (like this one) and does it insincerely, is that what's called "a troll"?

Happy New Year, Kira

Originally Posted By: Pontual
Just want to know where do you get these ingredients...

Originally Posted By: Kira

If someone asks an impossible question or poses a far fetched idea (like this one) and does it insincerely, is that what's called "a troll"?

Happy New Year, Kira

Ethylene glycol and borax are pretty easy to find. The only one that gave me trouble was the tricresyl phosphate, but I managed to track down a source for that.

Not really sure what you're shooting for as far as calling me a troll however. Going to ignore that

Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1
I see that you are a student. You idea sounds interesting. Why don't you make a small amount and set up some sort of test using metals that are common to auto engines. Would need to be long term with a way to heat it for random periods of time. Something to think about.

That's a good idea. I was just going to send a sample off for analysis, but that sounds like another good test. Not sure how I'd heat it though, would take several hearings over large span of time to test. Need some time to think about that one

Shoot if it works well enough I might run it in the computer

Originally Posted By: SnowDrifter
Originally Posted By: Pontual
Just want to know where do you get these ingredients...

Originally Posted By: Kira

Happy New Year, Kira

Ethylene glycol and borax are pretty easy to find. The only one that gave me trouble was the tricresyl phosphate, but I managed to track down a source for that.

Not really sure what you're shooting for as far as calling me a troll however. Going to ignore that

Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1

That's a good idea. I was just going to send a sample off for analysis, but that sounds like another good test. Not sure how I'd heat it though, would take several hearings over large span of time to test. Need some time to think about that one

Shoot if it works well enough I might run it in the computer

No, its curious just because TCP is considered a neurotoxin by law since 1990 and not even oil companies are getting of it anymore... A lot of aicraft mechanics got serious health problem, since old FAA AC65 instructed them to use to clean parts, like suspension struct tubes with tcp soaked in a clean rag ... They are using TPP in lube products, since then.
And since when TCP is antifoam for anything, like borax? Its considered multifunction add, specially AW for engine oil and Pb scavenger for avgas.
It should be some kind of confusion in your list. No?

Last edited:
Interesting point... I wasn't aware of TCP's history. I was reading through this old patent where they use TCP as an antifoam agent. Might need to rethink this a little bit.. But, that's exactly why I posted here. Good input is always welcome
smile.gif

http://www.google.com/patents/US2777821

Well its a 1953 patent that substantiate tcp as foam inhibitor!
Maybe silicone oil isnt used as foam inhibitor in aircraft engine oils, though ...

Learnt that thanks, Snowdrifter!

I've not heard of anyone mixing their own coolant before. However, on one of the other forums that I frequent - an auto detailing forum - one of the members bought a kit to make your own car wax. Before I read that thread, I'd never heard of a kit to make your own car wax.

Long story short, he mixed, tested, and recorded the results for many wax blends. He shared his results with the community, and even offered other forum members free samples in exchange for their opinions of different blends. He now runs his own small business making, selling and distributing high-end and custom blended automotive waxes.

The original thread is incredible to read. It's not often that so many community members in a particular forum are so supportive of a member, that none of them know in real life.

I don't have a link to that particular thread handy, but it shouldn't be hard to find if you're interested. Go to the AutoGeek forum and search for, oh, I don't know, "make your own car wax" or "home made car wax." That should get you there.

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
deep fryer on a timer for testing?

Maybe a hot plate on a timer would be easier and safer. Maybe if his home has some sort of gas or electric forced-air furnace for heating, something could be placed in the furnace room close to the furnace? I'm not sure if that would heat up his samples enough, or if the temperature would vary enough to simulate a car's heating/cooling cycle.

I'm also a little curious if, since hes a student, he could get a grant of some sort. Or maybe course credit for his experiment.

I bet it boils down to which one of the two he has, and cares for the least.

Or, more likely, OP will skip the tests completely. I know if I was cooking an environmental disaster in my back yard, no tests would be done.

Also, I totally thought a hot plate had a temp control knob, and deep fryers were just "heat til boiling, then back off a bit." If I've owned either one of those things, I did not know it.

We're missing the bigger picture here. This is about SnowDrifter making his own anti-freeze. SD, you gotta complete this project. Heck, if you're in Oregon, I'll even help stir this concoction.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back