Anyone else having a good lol at Hyundai?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: css9450
Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
They're a brand with no heart, no heritage, no roots, and no soul. Fine for low to mid end cars, but empty nameplates don't mesh with high end lux or sport. People looking to spend are looking for a marque.

You mean, like Lexus? They've been here since, what, 19-aught-89 or so? Almost as long as Hyundai.

See the concluding paragraph of my 9:26am post please.

I don't think Hyundai has seriously pushed themselves as a sporty/luxury brand. Those are just segments they are trying to work their way into. They want to be a major, mainstream player, not secondary to GM, Ford, Honda, Toyota, and Nissan because of being a "small car company."

What they are doing is not unlike what the major Japanese brands started doing in the 1990s when they branched out from primarily small, economical cars to luxury cars, SUVs, vans, etc. Hyundai just wants in on that too.

Cars like the Equus and Genesis are a tough sell on many people, but you have to start somewhere. I think Hyundai might have been wise to spin off a separate luxury brand though. The Japanese companies mostly did that to get out from under their distributor agreements in the US, which Hyundai doesn't have to worry about, but I think a separate brand identity is something a lot of consumers would place value in. Badges matter to the average buyer.

As far as their bread and butter cars like the Elantra, Sonata, and Santa Fe, I don't think Hyundai cares if anyone is laughing as long as they keep selling at their current rate.

The only problem I find with Hyundai is they want Honda/Toyota/Mazda prices.

Early 2010 I was shopping for a car with my wife and we really wanted an Elantra Touring station wagon (hatch???).

Man, the salespeople wouldn't do anything at all with the price, and we were going to pay CASH.

It was exactly the same price as any comparable car from Honda/toy/mazda.

Sorry, but Hyundai resale still is non-existant.

I ended up buying a new Honda Fit, and the wife ended up with a Mazda 3 Sport.

Hyundai is really smoking something skunky, they should bring back the $9,999 Hyundai Accident and they will impress me again.

There are a lot of ignorant comments here about Hyundai-Kia's success in USA.

Their success is built on selling family sedans and small to mid sized SUV built right here.

Given where Hyundai was 25 years ago in product design and quality, I expect they will be in the top 3 in 15 years.

Originally Posted By: knerml
There are a lot of ignorant comments here about Hyundai-Kia's success in USA.

Their success is built on selling family sedans and small to mid sized SUV built right here.

Given where Hyundai was 25 years ago in product design and quality, I expect they will be in the top 3 in 15 years.

100% agree. Some people make a judgment call on a product 20 years ago and never change that opinion, never-mind how different the product is today.

Last edited:
In 2001 when I started selling Kia and Suzuki, Kia and Hyundai were considered throwaway cars. Sometimes I used new Kias to sell new Suzukis, since the Suzuki at that point in time was a better vehicle. After a test drive in a Sportage, I'd let them drive an XL7 or Vitara, the difference was night and day. That worked extremely well. As time went by Kia stepped up the game. Fast forward to today and Kia and Hyundai sell like hot cakes, Suzuki, well that's another story.

Hyundai is no joke. They are a quality automobile. They will hang with any of the Japanese cars as far as quality, performance, and reliability.
The Genesis sedan is an elegant vehicle with great road manners and sophisticated powertrains. At 50k it is a great value versus luxury brand midsized and full size cars.
Those who still see Hyundai as a cheap throw away car obviously have no knowledge or experience with the brand after about the year 2000. If anyone actually remembers the older Hyundais, they would know that the drivetrains were actually Mitsubishi made, and were not exclusive to Hyundai. Mitsubishi used the same engines and transmissions in their vehicles. The older Hyundai Accents used the same drivetrain as the Mitsubishi Mirage. Same 12 valve SOHC 1.5L 4 cylinder and transmissions. The Excel that preceded the Accent used the 8 valve version of the same engine.
Your gripes should be with Mitsubishi

Last edited:
That historical essence is not found in S. Korea that I know of.

Interesting opinions, lets just summarize your knowledge about Korea right there and leave out the rest.

Sometimes they do some goofy things but they build great vehicles and back them up with a 10 year 100,000 mile warranty.. Problem is since 2011 or so they got to expensive. I see heavy equipment and all kinds of other things made by Hyundai they seem to be taking over.. They do build quality i have to say. Here at my engine shop we don't see many of them but when we do and need parts you can see the quality. I see Hyundai as a nice solid reliable vehicle.

They're a brand with no heart, no heritage, no roots, and no soul.

Huh? These are just cars we're talking about. The same thing could have been said of Toyota, or Ford for that matter, when they were in their early days. Hyundai's been selling cars in the U.S. since the 80's and they have gotten progressively better. It's no wonder to me that, if their quality and materials are competitive, their pricing is, too.

Oh, and they do have a "Soul." It's one of their models, in fact. ROFL!

i agree people are living in the past i have people coming into my engine shop all the time needing engine work driving a late model toyota or Honda saying "but how come this is a Toyota or this is a Honda how can that be.. I tell them Toyota and Honda are not what they used to be.. Listen some people still think Pennzoil causes sludge because 35 years ago it did... Things change.

I do not know a single person who has bought a modern Hyundai except my sister in law because she could not afford anything else and the car was really cheap used and manual(Hyundai wagon thing). My wife would never buy Kia/Hyundai based on her experience in college with one.(garbage heap)

Everyone in my area(Coastal NH) still buy GM, Ford, Honda, Toyota, Subaru and Jeep even the upper middle class neighbourhood I abut.

What is the demographic for Hyundai or maybe it is locale specific.

Originally Posted By: css9450
They're a brand with no heart, no heritage, no roots, and no soul. Fine for low to mid end cars, but empty nameplates don't mesh with high end lux or sport. People looking to spend are looking for a marque.

You mean, like Lexus? They've been here since, what, 19-aught-89 or so? Almost as long as Hyundai.

See the concluding paragraph of my 9:26am post please.

I'm not sure I follow. Toyota and Nissan didn't launch Lexus and Infiniti under their own names, they created new ones. Why would they want to distance themselves from their long manufacturing heritage?

Pennzoil sludge is a great analogy...for some, it's still 1987 and they have a hard time overcoming that mindset. Like some on this site, a poster's never owned one and "never will" followed up by the anecdotal post about their niece's 2009 Elantra that blew up on I-90 in a hailstorm.

In relation to the OP, I think Hyundai pricing is still on the "value' side of the equation whether they're priced similarly to competing models or not. The resale has generally gone up with the rise of the brand and they tend to make "everyman" designs rather than sporty models other than something like the Genesis R spec. It's up to the buyer to decide if they want to buy a Genesis 5.0 vs. a 5 series BMW but the Hyundai typically is fully kitted for ~10K less. I would consider the Genesis a very competitive model in its segment whatever folks on here think about Hyundai in general.

The price of the Accent went up 2K for the 2012 model year but that was less about Hyundai being full of themselves and more about trends in the marketplace. Strategically, Hyundai wouldn't be selling a $9999 Accent loss leader anymore and with the new design would add content ( just like competitors ) to have a more fully kitted subcompact. You only have to drive a 2011 Accent vs. a 2012 Accent ( or 2010 vs. 2011 Elantra for that matter ) to see that things continue to change.

Hyundai/Kia have become a strong force to reckon with these past 5 yrs or so. I've been seeing A LOT of Santa Fes, Sorentos, Elantras, Optimas and Sonatas on the road. I used to have an 05 Elantra and while it was an alright car, things started falling apart at 80K miles when I sold it. But Hyundai has come a long way since then.

I'd consider buying one if they offered non-direct injection engines
27.gif

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
Hyundai's been selling cars in the U.S. since the 80's and they have gotten progressively better.

They had no where to go but up, seriously.

Originally Posted By: Falken
The only problem I find with Hyundai is they want Honda/Toyota/Mazda prices.

Early 2010 I was shopping for a car with my wife and we really wanted an Elantra Touring station wagon (hatch???).

Man, the salespeople wouldn't do anything at all with the price, and we were going to pay CASH.

It was exactly the same price as any comparable car from Honda/toy/mazda.

Sorry, but Hyundai resale still is non-existant.

I ended up buying a new Honda Fit, and the wife ended up with a Mazda 3 Sport.

Hyundai is really smoking something skunky, they should bring back the $9,999 Hyundai Accident and they will impress me again.

Must be the lack of competition in Quebec.
I bought my 2013 Sonata GLS in September 2012. On the road with all taxes for $25,700 @1.9% interest for 5 years. Same Toyota Camry would have cost me an extra $5,000 over the 5 years. Fuel economy and reliability have been stellar in the past 2 1/2 years and 40,000 miles. I keep my cars for 10 years - resale means nothing to me as they are well worn and put away wet when I move to a new vehicle.
A friend of mine just traded in a 2008 diesel Grand Cherokee on a 2015 Santa Fe XL loaded. He looked at the Toyota Highlander and just didn't see why he should pay an extra $4,000, for less options. His brother traded in a Veracruz at the same time on a Santa Fe XL.
Hyundai is doing quite well in Ontario.

I had a Hyundai.
It was one that had a ring problem loosing compression and smoking.
It was getting worse and worse fuel mileage, it felt like it had less power as well dealer refused to do anything so I got rid of it.

At first I thought the Hyundai Scoupe was a decent looking car,fast forward 20+ years and there aren't any left out there.Almost no Tiburon either (the Scoupe replacement).That said,I'm glad I never bought a Hyundai,or KIA (original maker of the Ford Festiva/Aspire/KIA Pride).

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
That historical essence is not found in S. Korea that I know of.

Interesting opinions, lets just summarize your knowledge about Korea right there and leave out the rest.

Lol, Korea was under Japanese colonial rule. Japan > Korea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back