Anyone Download Windows 10 Yet? Thoughts ... ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Jimmy9190
I did the free Win10 installation yesterday, I like it much better than 8.1. I like the start menu and it is a lot easier to find what I am looking for. The only issue I have had is it keeps telling me the license is not valid. I am thinking MS sent the download to a lot of people at one time so it will take MS a while to get everyone validated. I will keep checking it. Other than that it works great for me.

Did you do an upgrade or clean install?

I did the free Win10 installation yesterday, I like it much better than 8.1. I like the start menu and it is a lot easier to find what I am looking for. The only issue I have had is it keeps telling me the license is not valid. I am thinking MS sent the download to a lot of people at one time so it will take MS a while to get everyone validated. I will keep checking it. Other than that it works great for me.

If you did the update, try this a few times at the command prompt: slmgr.vbs /ato

Reboot and try a few times more if it doesn't work. It might take a day or so for them to validate it.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
Turn off the Windows Update Delivery Optimization (WUDO). It's using your computer to feed the updates to other users.

http://thehackernews.com/2015/08/windows-10-update.html

To turn this feature OFF, follow these given steps:

Go to Settings in the Start menu
Search for Update & Security
Under Windows Update, open Advanced Options
Under Choose How Updates are Installed, select Choose how updates are delivered
Disable the toggle under Updated from More than One Place

Windows 8.1 users operating under Windows 7 Start screen (with Start-8 Start button at the bottom left) don't have this option...... not on my Dell anyways. I don't have any Settings listing in my Start menu.

So what is Plan B, for checking purposes?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

If you did the update, try this a few times at the command prompt: slmgr.vbs /ato

Reboot and try a few times more if it doesn't work. It might take a day or so for them to validate it.

I did the free upgrade. Thanks for the command tip, I ran it twice as admin and still get the error message that the license is blocked. I read online that the MS activation servers are really overloaded right now. I will keep trying, sooner or later it will have to activate. I also disabled the WUDO function and signed up for the Adblock email, turned off the WiFi Sense and made sure Cortana is turned off. I am trying to read up for more tweaks and settings to use to make 10 better and more secure.

Well I spoke too soon. The trackpad on my HP is glitchy and jumps all over the place. What's weird is that it worked fine for a day or two and then started acting up.
Still looking for a solution or a patch, good thing I have a touch screen.

Last edited:
Did the upgrade and performed a clean install right after. Current Win7 install and random programs was polluting my 120GB SSD so figured it's the perfect time to jump to Win10 and start fresh. I installed it under UEFI for quicker bootup and the mobo does not have to do it's bootup beeping song anymore.

So far its installing updates, MS Office, iTunes, Steam and GTA V.

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
So on initial installation, can one choose to clean install? or must we first upgrade and THEN clean install?

You have to upgrade first, but during the upgrade process there is an option to install without keeping any programs or personal settings. So far, it seems very much like a clean install (i chose that option).

But after you have "upgraded" and have been fully activated, then you can do a clean install on that same computer.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Why not let Windows 10 install the programs we already have installed on Windows 8.1?

It can't install them. It can only keep them. OSs are always tweaked under the hood and links, registry items, etc. can break and point to files no longer there.

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
So on initial installation, can one choose to clean install? or must we first upgrade and THEN clean install?

When doing the clean install you can enter your Windows 7 key during the setup process. It will tell you it's the wrong or CD Key not found but it will activate after the setup is done. Make sure your PC is registered and it's ready to receive the update. I found out when checking my Windows Update update history to see that Windows 10 failed installing so I used the Win 10 media creation tool.

Day 2 did my Desktop and Laptop. Day 8 did the netbook (it took awhile for the "ready!")

A great experience. Both installing & using, no issues negative and on a positive not now I can maximize both Chrome and Quickbooks. Previously with 8.1 I'd often have to minimize Chrome to maximize QB's

I've reset Wifi sharing... where Microsoft wants friends sharing Wifi networks and passwords without giving them the choice. So I guess that's the only negative.

Oh and I'm giving the new browser, Edge a chance. It looks good too. Haven't used IE in YEARS unless I absolutely HAD to.

I have tried multiple times over the last 6 days to activate Windows 10. I tried the slmgr.vbs /ato command about 10 times and it still will not activate. I have not done a clean install, to be honest I am not really sure what that is. I read that it will erase all files on my computer and give a fresh copy of Windows 10. Does activation require a clean install or will it eventually work if I just wait it out? I read on the MS help site that if the free upgrade does not activate I have to buy a licensed copy of Windows 10 for the low low price of $119.00. Does not sound like a "free" upgrade to me. At this point I am ready to reset back to 8.1. Probably should have left well enough alone to start with. Any help is much appreciated.

I have tried multiple times over the last 6 days to activate Windows 10. I tried the slmgr.vbs /ato command about 10 times and it still will not activate. I have not done a clean install, to be honest I am not really sure what that is. I read that it will erase all files on my computer and give a fresh copy of Windows 10. Does activation require a clean install or will it eventually work if I just wait it out? I read on the MS help site that if the free upgrade does not activate I have to buy a licensed copy of Windows 10 for the low low price of $119.00. Does not sound like a "free" upgrade to me. At this point I am ready to reset back to 8.1. Probably should have left well enough alone to start with. Any help is much appreciated.

The clean install actually requires activation. If you're not activating, your hardware profile hasn't been accepted by Microsoft and a Windows 10 clean install will *never* activate.

Ok so here is the deal how I understand it.

Did your computer come with a copy of windows 7 or 8? Does it have a sticker on the chassis? Is this a legit copy of windows?

If so then here is what you do.

Recover the system back to the OS that it came with.

Go to this link, and run the windows 10 upgrade.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

At that point you are done.

Microsoft checks your license for windows 7 or windows 8 at the time of upgrade, and they convert that into a windows 10 license.

So, for that reason you can not do a wipe and clean install without doing an upgrade first, because it has not authorized your old key.

I did upgrades on 4-5 computers so far and every one worked perfect.

Thanks for the info. My computer is a Toshiba laptop, is about a year old, it came with 8.1 already installed and I bought it at Best Buy. I will try the reset back to 8.1 and download method but it will be a while before I can get around to it. Plus I need to buy a new thumb drive for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back