ANYONE ACTUALLY ROLL PAINT ON A CAR

I have a basketcase truck thats for work use. Looks horrible but drives great. Thinking of rolling on a coat of tractor paint or rustoleum. Thinking of maybe a harbor freight electric sprayer?? anyone have a project they finished?

What about some of those Rustoleum turbo cans (wide fan), maybe that'd be even easier than rolling?

If you already have the paint, then why not roll it on. If you dont have the paint, then I would spray. Also, if you care anything at all about how it looks, it is hard to mess up camo.

Been a while but I recall reading about how some would take rustoleum and cut quite a bit, then spray on.

Not sure how it'd turn out with a roller.

It depends where you live, but the pollen is about over with and the insects aren't out in full force yet, so now might be a good time.

Did with a very low nap, maybe foam roller to brother-in-laws work Minivan. White was peeling everywhere and rusting.

He wanted to get it repainted for a lot of dollars. I said if the van lasts 1 year in his use I'd be amazed. We rolled it in direct sunlight in front of house. Small distance looked good, close ehhh.

Motor started leaking oil and then tranny went 6 months later and he junked it.

My dad painted his '57 Plymouth Wagon pale green with a roller and water based paint. He rolled his '51 Chevy pickup with oil based paint, red on the bottom, pink on top, stenciled "Dolph's Summit Inn, Beer, Wine and Whiskey". (He owned a bar). That pickup had the body mounts completely rusted away. Only gravity kept the body and frame together. If you stopped too fast the body would slide forward on the frame and engage the starter. You then had to pop the clutch to get the frame a little ahead of the body. That is the vehicle I learned to drive on.

rolled black gloss on the hood of a subaru impreza hatch, the gloss was gone in less than 2 years but it did a job.

Nope, but I painted a boat with a Wagner Power Painter and Rustoleum. Came out pretty good.

I've painted a few cars (though it's been a long time now and had been at least 5 years since I'd painted one at the time), so I kinda sorta knew what I was doing, but the final look was MUCH better than expected. I think I had one run total.

I've painted flat sheet metal and it came out good without needing any sanding. You have to look into mixing ratios and temperatures online. I found a foam roller to do better. I did green but i'd suggest white as white is best for hiding imperfections.

rolled black gloss on the hood of a subaru impreza hatch, the gloss was gone in less than 2 years but it did a job.
Yeah on those single stage paints with no hardener you have to keep it waxed all the time and still do a light polish after a few years.

We did it on a friend's Blues Brothers type old cop car. Rollers and sprays cans...all black.
Looked absolutely terrible but ran strong.

I haven't but I have seen it done. Looked better than I expected. Color matters. White will look decent. Black would be awful.

I agree a cheap sprayer will do a better job if properly prepped

Back