Any study similar to Spicer Report for gas add.?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been doing some looking around online for a while and can only find anecdotal information regarding gasoline lubricity and lubricity of additives. I became very interested in this after getting my wifes '03 Jetta TDI which does have hard evidence supporting the addition of fuel additives as shown by the Spicer Report. Is there anything similar to this for gasoline? Seeing MMO having such a negative effect in D2 and TCW-3 having a great result I'm apprehensive of running MMO in my gas engines ('93 Saturn SL1 and '95 Yamaha XV1100). Right now I plan on running around 10k miles, pulling plugs with no additives, 10k with MMO each tank, and 10k with TCW-3. I noticed a good bit of ash build up on the plugs after 30k miles when I changed them this round but I've used a variety of additives inconsistently. But I have a feeling this will have too many variables to be very conclusive (temp variations, running A/C, being the main two).

Is there any conclusive information for gas additives? Any tips for making this an effective test? My normal work commute is 57miles round trip and I almost always fill up at my place of business.

Originally Posted By: Itsnotme1988
Right now I plan on running around 10k miles, pulling plugs with no additives, 10k with MMO each tank, and 10k with TCW-3.

It sounds like a good plan except for the plugs part. In my experience plugs stay clean while pistons are well carboned.

Besides, this will tell you nothing about lubrication, even if this matters any in gas engines.

Let's measure fuel pump wear, and valve guide wear with MMO in a gas engine.
It is almost impossible to do.
I believe it helps in these areas.

Also consider motorcycle road racers who have 4 stroke engines and use 2 stroke oil at full concentration to keep their valve system OK. There is failure without it, and excellent results with it.

A few parts in an isolated diesel test show me nothing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back