Any reason NOT to take low dose Aspirin?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SumpChump
I'm a lucky guy so far with no long term meds daily and "healthy". Well, probably need to loose 30lbs and eat even more hay or roughage or rocks.

Again and again I've read of the benefits of taking a low dose aspirin at appx. 40 and older. For the heart and especially antinflammation. Also read that a lifetime of inflammation and modern doses of chemicals in products and modern diet leads to the expression of prostate cancer.

So with all that. Is there any reason NOT to take a low dose Aspirin?

Risk of internal bleeding.

Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
Originally Posted By: SumpChump
I'm a lucky guy so far with no long term meds daily and "healthy". Well, probably need to loose 30lbs and eat even more hay or roughage or rocks.

Again and again I've read of the benefits of taking a low dose aspirin at appx. 40 and older. For the heart and especially antinflammation. Also read that a lifetime of inflammation and modern doses of chemicals in products and modern diet leads to the expression of prostate cancer.

So with all that. Is there any reason NOT to take a low dose Aspirin?

Risk of internal bleeding.

aspirin lead to ulcers > reduced clotting ability > bleed to death

avoid NSAIDS all together.

Quote:
Cholesterol is not a problem IMO if you follow a healthy low carb diet. Statins worry me, I no longer take them.

Unfortunately that doesn't work for everyone (me)
a 15% risk of dying in 10 years without Statin scares me more than statins. I'll play the numbers.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NMBurb02
So in order to counteract the effects of poor diet and pumping yourself full of chemicals for the first half of your life you plan on continuing with your poor diet and pumping yourself full of another chemical for the second half of your life? Sounds logical.

Or you can change your diet to one that has little to no chemicals, minimizes inflammation, and promotes overall good health.

But the baby pill a day option is just so much more convenient.
The Luddites checking in. Look out for that HG in drugs.

Originally Posted By: stro_cruiser
Unless really needed, I would personally advise never taking anything made by a pharmaceutical company. This is a big subject that easily brings in many personal opinions but a widely spoken one from the natural healing world is that the root of our problems is the gut. If the gut isnt kept clean, we'll have problems.

Asprin use:

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2014/08/04/daily-aspirin-side-effects.aspx

Whack job web site... "bare skin contact with the earth"?

I apologize in advance.....But I have to say it.....Asking for medical advice on an oil forum is at least as disingenious as asking your doctor what oil you should use in your car. Just sayin'.....

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Unless really needed, I would personally advise never taking anything made by a pharmaceutical company. This is a big subject that easily brings in many personal opinions but a widely spoken one from the natural healing world is that the root of our problems is the gut. If the gut isnt kept clean, we'll have problems.

Asprin use:

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2014/08/04/daily-aspirin-side-effects.aspx

Whack job web site... "bare skin contact with the earth"?

So quick to judge....its very simple, we barely make contact with the earth anymore, we used to, but not now. Its highly beneficial. The studies have been done, do some reasearch
smile.gif
Dr. Mercola is no fool.

So quick to judge....its very simple, we barely make contact with the earth anymore, we used to, but not now. Its highly beneficial. The studies have been done, do some reasearch
smile.gif
Dr. Mercola is no fool.

All you have to do is go badk 200 years when people that made "contact with the earth"..in the healthful country side had an average life span of 34 years. Thank god they didn't have mean ol big Pharma then.

Originally Posted By: 4wheeldog
I apologize in advance.....But I have to say it.....Asking for medical advice on an oil forum is at least as disingenious as asking your doctor what oil you should use in your car. Just sayin'.....

Yep
smile.gif

On the whole I think low-dose aspirin is very safe (and honestly, regular aspirin as an occasional pain reliever seems a helluva lot safer than liver-toxic acetaminophen to me).

But I cut way back (with doc's concurrence) last year. While I don't know if there are studies to support it, I really worry about "micro-bleeds" in various places as a result of constant low-dose aspirin. Its obvious when you take it just how much more the tiniest paper-cut bleeds, how much more likely you are to get tiny bruises (or even big ones), etc. So what's going on at the capillary level in your brain? Is the blood-brain barrier compromised a little? I'm not talking about stroke-level brain bleeds, but what about the accumulation of just a few red blood cells "getting loose" every so often over the years and damaging nerve tissue ever so slightly? What about the back of your eyeballs (macular degeneration, as already mentioned)?

Its definitely a net gain when there's a clear risk of heart attack or strokes due to clots, but otherwise probably better to wait to start aspirin therapy quite a bit later than when my previous doc first started me (age 40!). Especially if you can keep your cholesterol manageable with diet/exercise and not statins.

Just like in oil discussions, there are a lot of worrywarts here. There are much worse things than aspirin around that others have decided you need.

Pesticides
MSG in foods cause heart attacks
PCBs in the environment from transformers years ago. Its still around and in all of our bodies.
Mercury from power plants or tooth fillings
Fluoride in the water so all of our teeth will glow white
Chlorine in drinking water
Fracking chemicals in groundwater
There are hundreds more.

I just had this discussion with my cardiologist, according to him recent studies have shown an increase in strokes, he took me off a low dose aspirin, took my statin from every day to twice a week, he wanted to take me off fish oil but acknowledged my orthopod would not like that due to my osteoarthritis

Things to know: Aspirin has a half life of something like 48 hrs. In other words, your body has gotten rid of half of it in that time. Taking it every day causes it to accumulate in the body. It is a powerfull anticoagulant and probably would not be cleared by the FDA today. I'd suggest you take one every other day and use a brand name coated product.
If anybody around you ever has a heart attack or stroke, give them a regular aspirin asap and tell the medical people that you did because that is what they will do.
If you are taking aspirin every day or every other day and notice that you are bruising easily, back off the aspirin. It's that powerful.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
So in order to counteract the effects of poor diet and pumping yourself full of chemicals for the first half of your life you plan on continuing with your poor diet and pumping yourself full of another chemical for the second half of your life? Sounds logical.

Or you can change your diet to one that has little to no chemicals, minimizes inflammation, and promotes overall good health.

But the baby pill a day option is just so much more convenient.
The Luddites checking in. Look out for that HG in drugs.

I am a Luddite because I put forward the idea of addressing the cause of the problem rather than medicating the symptoms? Where are the calls of "Luddites!" when the question of the best stop leak for a RMS leak is answered with "Don't use additives, fix the leak"? Or if my high compression motor calls for high octane gas and I came on to BITOG looking for an additive that could stop the pinging that occurs when I used lower priced regular, what would be wrong with directing me to use the higher priced premium fuel for which my motor was designed? (In that example the motor is the human body, high octane gas is "real" food, low octane gas is the junk most people consume in place of real food, and additives are pharmaceuticals. Not a perfect analogy but I think it is pretty good.)

I am not wholesale anti-pharmaceuticals (you can currently find bottles of ibuprofen, expectorant, and a few prescription drugs in my house) but think a little more thought needs to go into treating the cause, not the symptom. As a perfect example, I was diagnosed with bilateral hand sprains and was prescribed a two week ibuprofen regimen to cut down inflammation and help with the pain but my symptoms were back full force as soon as I stopped the drugs. Sure, I could have continued popping pills for the rest of my life but instead I saw another doctor and he prescribed physical therapy, where they identified the root of my hand pain as nerve related due to muscular issues in my neck, chest, shoulders, and arms. I will have my second PT session today and I think this will actually help resolve the pain rather than just covering it up.

And my kids have received their vaccinations.

Last edited:
My Dr. told me even a low dose of Aspirin taken daily is hard on the stomach...

Similarly, asking your big-pharma indoctrinated doctor (have you seen the drug sales reps that get sent to doctors' offices?) about what drugs to take to counteract your health issues is like asking your mechanic who has bottles of Lucas oil stabilizer on his shelf about that tick you keep hearing from your motor.

Similarly, asking your big-pharma indoctrinated doctor (have you seen the drug sales reps that get sent to doctors' offices?) about what drugs to take to counteract your health issues is like asking your mechanic who has bottles of Lucas oil stabilizer on his shelf about that tick you keep hearing from your motor.

What's the alternative then, quack websites?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back