Any Mobil Super Synthetic Users ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a stash of Mobil Super Synthetic 5W 20 SN Rated when O'Reilly had for $2.99 qrt. during this new oil's introduction . Now this oil is on deck ready to go into use . I plan to run for 5K ~ 6K OCI or 5 months in '10 Hyundai Elantra driving 90% suburbs / 10% highway . Any users out there with experience using this oil ?

I really don't understand why Mobil released this oil in the first place? They've already got Mobil 1, so why saturate the market with yet another synthetic oil?

Originally Posted By: Patman
I really don't understand why Mobil released this oil in the first place? They've already got Mobil 1, so why saturate the market with yet another synthetic oil?

Maybe it's a "price point synthetic oil", ie lower cost "synthetic". It's a group III with less additives but still qualifies as a "synthetic"?
21.gif
. Price is everything in retail, sad to say.

Whimsey

I used it and have no complaints. It started to darken around 4k for me. Pretty decent oil for the price.

I haven't used it. Honestly, I don't really get it either.

Mobil 1 isn't even their top oil, top is Extended, so did they really need at least 3 levels of synthetic, plus a blend (Super High Mileage), and a conventional (Super)?

Seems like a lot of oil! ha.

Honestly, I'd use Mobil Super Synthetic, if a big special. However, seems not much more money to use Mobil 1.

Mobil Super 3000 X1 5W-40 is much cheaper like any Mobil 1 products in Hungary. Less additives are inside?

Originally Posted By: Ayrton

Mobil 1 isn't even their top oil, top is Extended, so did they really need at least 3 levels of synthetic, plus a blend (Super High Mileage), and a conventional (Super)?

Seems like a lot of oil! ha.

Exxon-Mobil has lots of oil to play with,
grin.gif

Quote:

That's a great question. When it was announced I had serious doubts that it would show up in jug form, if at all in Wally's. Thus far that doubt has proven correct, at least in these parts, it's not be found in jug form. Only place I've seen it is qts. at AAP and advertised at O'R. And the everday price, ~$5-6/qt, whacked imo.

I thought perhaps it was designed to compete directly with QSUD, if it hit the shelves in Wally. Hasn't happened, and with QSUD recently adding the Honda HTO-06 cert, it has become the everyday best value of the 'majors' name brand synthetics at Wally. Not saying it's in the same class as PP, PU or M1, but a very decent synthetic option nonetheless.

As for the OP's question, most any SM/SN rated oil should go 5-6k/6m, don't see why MSS shouldn't easily handle that OCI.

Originally Posted By: Whimsey

Maybe it's a "price point synthetic oil", ie lower cost "synthetic". It's a group III with less additives but still qualifies as a "synthetic"?
21.gif
. Price is everything in retail, sad to say.
Whimsey

I think Mobil did want a price point oil to sell against the similarly priced QSUD.
Nothing wrong with that.
Still, if you watch for sales and the ocassional MIRs, you can buy M1 for the same or less than Mobil Super Syn.
M1 does meet certs not claimed for either QSUD or Super Syn.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27

I think Mobil did want a price point oil to sell against the similarly priced QSUD.

Then why didn't they just reduce the price of their regular Mobil 1, instead of spending all the time and money on coming out with this new oil? I just think there is too much confusion in the synthetic market these days, with Pennzoil having both Platinum and Ultra and with Castrol having two different versions of Edge now.

I think the average person walking down the oil aisle these days gets totally baffled when they see so many different versions of synthetic from the same manufacturer.

The situation seems more complicated in the US as there are so many different oils from Mobil. However here in europe the offerings are more logical in the most common viscosity grade:

Mobil 1 0w-40 (full synthetic), Mobil super 3000 5w-40 (full synthetic) and Mobil super 2000 10w-40 (semi-synthetic).

Castrol has Edge 0w-40 and Magnatec 5w-40.

Shell Helix ultra is available in 0w-40 and 5w-40.

The top-of-the-line syns cost around 40-50€/jug while the cheaper alternatives are around 25-30€. Many people with older cars seem to prefer the cheaper synthetic option.

There is also a general misconception that 0w-oils are unsuitable/too thin/too good/leak out in older cars. These misguided people will rather buy the cheaper 5w or 10w alternative.

Then why didn't they just reduce the price of their regular Mobil 1, instead of spending all the time and money on coming out with this new oil? I just think there is too much confusion in the synthetic market these days, with Pennzoil having both Platinum and Ultra and with Castrol having two different versions of Edge now.

I think the average person walking down the oil aisle these days gets totally baffled when they see so many different versions of synthetic from the same manufacturer.

Patman, I can't believe you actually asked that.
Mobil 1 is marketed as a premium product, offering high margins, while Super Syn is intended to compete with lower end offerings.
Mobil apparently thought that it needed a low-end synthetic to make it harder for SOPUS to gain a solid foothold with QSUD and did not want to cheapen the carefully nutured M1 brand.
Compared to Super Syn 5W-30, M1 5W-30 meets all of the tough specs (A1/B1, A5/B5, HTO-06, GM 4718M) and is actually Dexos lisenced. Super Syn meets none of them, and has a lower VI, higher pour point and a lower flash point.
M1 remains the premium oil, and is priced accordingly.
Now, nobody here should be confused about what they're seeing in the oil aisle, but I agree with you that the average shopper is going to be a little overwhelmed.
That shopper may then spend a little more for M1, since M1 wins on brand recognition alone, and is pretty reasonably priced.
Mobil then wins in the synthetic oil retail market again.

I see Mobil Super Synthetic as better performance than Mobil Super 5000 - but would still limit it to the 5K ~ 6K OCI.

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
I see Mobil Super Synthetic as better performance than Mobil Super 5000 - but would still limit it to the 5K ~ 6K OCI.

Why? Something besides that "oil is cheap"

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
I bought a stash of Mobil Super Synthetic 5W 20 SN Rated when O'Reilly had for $2.99 qrt. during this new oil's introduction . Now this oil is on deck ready to go into use . I plan to run for 5K ~ 6K OCI or 5 months in '10 Hyundai Elantra driving 90% suburbs / 10% highway . Any users out there with experience using this oil ?

ChrisD46,

I'm actually using this stuff now as a standard in my 01' Durango. It appears to be a fine synthetic oil/5W-30 to use. Mobil 1 use to be my favorite but at my local auto part stores the price appears to be going up. Now it's as high as Royal Purple and I vowed to never use that oil cuz the price for it was outraegious!!!! Experience wise I'm not scientist but my motor appears to like it. Gas here in California is out the door and I have to start pinch pennies to save a few dollars.

Just got back from Arizona and you can buy regular unleaded gas for #3.05/generic and for branded gas like Chevron and the like $3.25/gallon. What a rip off we pay here in California.

Durango

M1 remains the premium oil, and is priced accordingly.
Now, nobody here should be confused about what they're seeing in the oil aisle, but I agree with you that the average shopper is going to be a little overwhelmed.
That shopper may then spend a little more for M1, since M1 wins on brand recognition alone, and is pretty reasonably priced.
Mobil then wins in the synthetic oil retail market again.

I'm not confused at the aisles, but I do feel overwhelmed sometimes at all the different brands out there.
Price is usually my weed-out tool. And if I wanted to use a lower tier product from Mobil, I'd go with Mobil Super 5000. My engine won't know the difference between Super 5000 and Super Syn.

It bugs the heck out of me that there are all these 'low cost' syn oil options availiable in the US that AREN'T available in Canada.

Up here, the lowest regular price for a syn oil is $8/L, and it goes up to a bout $14-$16. Why can't WE have the option of Mobil Super, or Peak synthetic, or other like that for $6-$7/L?

Sigh.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back