Any flight sim fans here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought Microsoft FSX about 8 years ago and mostly toyed around in it, and then uninstalled it and left it in storage.

Busted it out a week ago and started learning for real this time. Learning how the radio stack works opened up an entirely NEW part of it.

So far I have tried:

VOR navigation
ILS
IFR flying

(all in the basic Cessna 172 since it keeps me from getting distracted with dials and switches)

Admittedly, I am using autopilot to control my heading and altitude, so there isn't much free flying. However, I am amazed at how realistic and smart the in-game ATC is.

My next goal is to learn the Garmin nav unit so I can plan my flights in that.

Used to play a lot back in the day, and still mess around with FlightGear on Linux once in a while. There is some very good realism, even years ago, doing the 172 landing virtually identical to what I'd experienced in a 150 in real life.

Still have it installed, haven't messed with it in forever though. Some people are hard into it still, go on Youtube and lookup "WindowSeatFSX" they run all the scenery mods, and airliner model mods to get the most real life appearances possible, and Youtube upload a complete airline route flight from a passenger window "wing seat" view (wing & engine visible). Not really sure who would sit and watch one of those at length, but it's fun to watch the take off, landing, and a few minutes here and there of cruise flight.

I would highly recommend switching to X-Plane if you really get into it... While you don't have as much air traffic "realism" and the scenery isn't as "pretty" without addons, the aircraft and overall experience is much better. With an easy-mod on the standard 737, you gain full FMC control (basically you can program your flight plan and have the air craft follow altitude and flight path automatically, which you can't do in FSX).

Overall though, a better experience in many ways. Just something to consider! There is a free trial demo on the website.

I used FSX for years and really enjoyed it though... I was always an airliner flyer (737, 747, A320, etc...) vs. GA aircraft. Love taking short legs with the 737 once or twice a week now.

Good information. I loved FS and I flew a Cessna in real life. I never could get it to work correctly with W10. I may look into X-Plane now. Ed

My daily sim fix are: WarBirds and Microsoft

Warbirds for the interactive air combat... my call sign is xlax...

MicroSoft Flight Sim has one of the visually stunning and highly
accurate P51 flight modeling you can buy... coupled with a
Thrustmaster joy stick and CH Products rudder pedals this 1G flight
training helps you understand whats it takes to counter the props
torque and how to work the differential braking... Just beware,
Microsoft's P51 is a clip wing, souped up, limited fuel loaded Reno
Air Racer... this is not your typical War Bird, you're in command of
one over powered and sassy race bred Mustang... mercy it will show 150
inches manifold pressure and hit 500 mph pulling 4Gs...

full-45634-18957-sim51d.jpg

full-45634-18958-sim51h.jpg

full-45634-18959-sim51k.jpg

full-45634-18960-sim51s.jpg

full-45634-18961-sim51y.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back