Any extra hassles to transfer the plates from the older vehicle?

I am in New York, Western New York to be exact... south of Buffalo by 20 minutes.

NO, it is NOT any harder to transfer plates to a new vehicle. ANY competent dealership in WNY should be able to do this without hassle.

If your current vehicle and plates are in your name, there is no issue whatsoever.

Some advantages to keeping plate number can be NY EZPass, certain drive through car washes track by plate, HOA/town resident/town beach permits, etc.

OP: Do you have the blue and white Liberty plates, yellow/blue plates or the new NY Excelsior plates?

If anything, new plates will cost the OP more as there is a plate fee in NY when you're issued new plates.
I have the blue white liberty plates. Those plates are on my wife's name but this car is on my name. As @Dave Sherman mentions, it could be a problem.

I am picking up a new car tomorrow. The dealership is suggesting it is easier to get new plates. Is there really extra hassle to transfer the plates vs getting new ones?

I don't care about extra $20-30 for using the older plates. This is NY.

Thanks in advance.

I don't understand why they're saying that. To get new plates is more expensive than transferring your old ones. To get new plates and keep the same plate # is the most expensive option.

Like @redhat said, the NY state plates on my Nissan Frontier are 20+ years old and have been transferred to a "new" vehicle many times. I don't know how they've held up this long . The color scheme on them is maybe 3-4 generations old.

I have the blue white liberty plates. Those plates are on my wife's name but this car is on my name. As @Dave Sherman mentions, it could be a problem.
Just to add, in my case, it was possible to transfer the plate, but zero benefit and would have been extra work and expense on our part. If she had a custom plate, it would have made sense so she could keep the plate on "her" car, but it was cheaper to pay the new plate fee.

If the plates you want to transfer are in your wife's name, and you strongly wanted to keep them, you would have to have the vehicle registered to her. In NYS a vehicle can be titled (owned) by a different party than the registrant.

Puts down BEC

It doesn't cost more to transfer plates, I don't know where he's getting this nonsense from

If you choose to upgrade to the new Excelsior design plates, it's a $25 plate fee, plus $3.75 for the new registration
If it's severely faded or peeling (some Empire State era plates did that), you can email pictures and get new plates for free

As per DMV website

"Transfer registration and plates from another vehicle - The vehicle plates will be transferred from the other vehicle. New vehicle plates will not be issued. (You must complete the section that appears below the words, "Registration Transfer". The estimate will include the transfer fee of $10.00.)"

I don't know how they've held up this long . The color scheme on them is maybe 3-4 generations old.
1986-2000, now that was a classic plate design 🤌
1689483650680.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: JTK
I just transferred my plates from the good car to the beater again, radiator cracked after bottoming out on horrible roads made it home and everything dumped on the driveway.

The car I should have junked 4 years ago is going to have to do DD duty again.

I’ve had to transfer the plates so many times the DMV requires me to go in every time with the explanation.

Hopefully the radiator doesn’t take a year to get like the bumper, when I was a kid my father had the truck’s radiator patched at least 4 times, gotta wonder why there is no way to externally seal and repair a $2500 modern radiator.

Back