Any audio gear junkies here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dude.... WOW!!!
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: hatt
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
What speaker is needing that 1200 watt Mac?

I'd say some really good horns.
Don't horns tend to be efficient?

It depends. A lot of commercial grade horns need high power to get the spl out of them. But when properly mated,you'll get live concert sound,volume,and quality. Something a Best Buy type hifi system can't deliver.

What speaker is needing that 1200 watt Mac?

I'd say some really good horns.
Don't horns tend to be efficient?

It depends. A lot of commercial grade horns need high power to get the spl out of them. But when properly mated,you'll get live concert sound,volume,and quality. Something a Best Buy type hifi system can't deliver.

LOL BestBuy sells that very amp
smile.gif
https://www.magnoliaav.com/shop/audio/av-receivers/p/mcintosh-mc452/

Last edited:
I have a couple tube systems but I usually listen to my 2A3 tube amp to a few Klipsch speakers.
I think the 2A3 amp is something like a whopping 3.5 amps
eek.gif

Originally Posted By: BeerCan
LOL BestBuy sells that very amp
smile.gif
https://www.magnoliaav.com/shop/audio/av-receivers/p/mcintosh-mc452/

Man that's a trip!! Best Buy now sells McIntosh? Or is it an online external party type seller? Kind've like buying something on Walmart.com that actually comes from a separate supplier?

Magnolia is a store that is inside of select BestBuy's. It is wholly owned by them and they sell some higher end gear. That being said they are terrible and do not really understand the equipment. I guess if you know exactly what you want and can get it for a good price it would be worth visiting them.

Those hegel's sure do have a following, they must sound good. Never heard one myself. I had an Oppo BDP-105 (original one) for awhile. I no longer use discs of any kind so I sold it.

Have you compared the dac in the H80 to the oppo? Just wondering, as the oppo gets good reviews on the dac but I never much cared for it.
Dac's are one of my favorite things to collect and I currently have a pretty good assortment. Yggdrasil, a LaScala and a DA-06 plus a few I assembled.
The dac in the Hegel has the edge over the 32 bit Saber. Not a night and day difference, it is subtle. Good question!

Those hegel's sure do have a following, they must sound good. Never heard one myself. I had an Oppo BDP-105 (original one) for awhile. I no longer use discs of any kind so I sold it.

Have you compared the dac in the H80 to the oppo? Just wondering, as the oppo gets good reviews on the dac but I never much cared for it.
Dac's are one of my favorite things to collect and I currently have a pretty good assortment. Yggdrasil, a LaScala and a DA-06 plus a few I assembled.
The dac in the Hegel has the edge over the 32 bit Saber. Not a night and day difference, it is subtle. Good question!
Originally Posted By: DriveHard
Oh yes!
Been a collector of speakers for most all of my life. My wife says I have problems. My home theater has 13 different speaker cabinets and a grand total of 73 individual drivers. 50 of them are in two line arrays I built myself. Here is a picture of my upstairs TV where I was testing the line arrays, and a picture of my downstairs area with the line arrays in their final home. I use the line arrays during sporting events, as they really fill the room like you are at the stadium, during movies and critical listening I use them as my "presence" channel to fill in behind my mains (Infinity).

Originally Posted By: DriveHard
Oh yes!
Been a collector of speakers for most all of my life. My wife says I have problems. My home theater has 13 different speaker cabinets and a grand total of 73 individual drivers. 50 of them are in two line arrays I built myself. Here is a picture of my upstairs TV where I was testing the line arrays, and a picture of my downstairs area with the line arrays in their final home. I use the line arrays during sporting events, as they really fill the room like you are at the stadium, during movies and critical listening I use them as my "presence" channel to fill in behind my mains (Infinity).

73 individual drivers? One wife? That's an acceptable ratio in my book! Mans gotta have a hobby.

You mentioned the Yggdrasil any other Schiit dac you might have listened to and or might recommend

I have a tower of used audio gear. None of which is spectacular, but not bad either.

I'm not entirely satisfied with the overall sound of my 120wpc Yamaha receiver and Polk RTiA9 tower speakers and 12 inch Sunfire sub. I like to rock-out and this is not enough. The Polk speakers, even with 3ea, 7 inch woofers, produce no bass. The sub is a necessity.

I have 3ea Crestron 16 channel amps. They are not great either.

Originally Posted By: dave123

You mentioned the Yggdrasil any other Schiit dac you might have listened to and or might recommend

Never really did to much listening to the other Schitt dac's. The hype train was strong with the Yggy and out of my 3 big ones it is #3. Still an excellent dac and I could easily listen to it for many years.

I have a Rotel RV555 with the matching speakers. Each piece is about the size of a shoebox. Nice sound in a small package.

https://www.google.com/search?q=rotel+rv+555&biw=1024&bih=644&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiA_4m1y7HOAhXDKCYKHZlUAfwQsAQIGw&dpr=1#imgrc=8ePF4SNNwnHUPM%3A

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Cujet
I have a tower of used audio gear. None of which is spectacular, but not bad either.

I'm not entirely satisfied with the overall sound of my 120wpc Yamaha receiver and Polk RTiA9 tower speakers and 12 inch Sunfire sub. I like to rock-out and this is not enough. The Polk speakers, even with 3ea, 7 inch woofers, produce no bass. The sub is a necessity.

I have 3ea Crestron 16 channel amps. They are not great either.

Get some good horns,you'll love them!! Horns are made for rock music. My faves have always been Electro Voice.

Been a life-long interest for me, but I steer clear of the fringe and junky areas. Not too interested in the latest & greatest. I like to find older, well-built equipment, fix it up and keep it going. I have two old Pioneer receivers, one I bought used from a friend while in college ~ 1979. Still works though needs some tiny bulbs replaced and no doubt re-capped.

Here's my write up on reworking a HK Citation 7: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3240214/1

A stereo amp I built in the mid-90's designed by Erno Borbely: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/3561586/Searchpage/1/Main/227364/Words/phoenix+/Search/true/Phoenix_Project_II:_Servo100_A#Post3561586

I re-worked a Philips DAC960 according to a series of articles found in Audio Amateur magazine.

I also started a thread about refinishing a loudspeaker I'd built many years ago: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...nee#Post3503645

Tuned up pair of dual subwoofer cabinets with a nasty BOOOOMMMING resonance right around 70Hz or so if I remember correctly. Stiffened up the cabinet walls, made braces to hold the woofers by the magnet, refoamed the surrounds (4), new speaker cable (Canare) and connectors (Neutrik SpeakOn). Lots of work, that one. And lots of testing using Audiomatica's CLIO acoustical measurement system on an old confuser running W98!

Current loudspeakers are a custom MTM using SEAS Excell drivers with a XO designed by Joe D'Appolito.

Still need to reinstall a Parasound 6-channel amp to re-enable surround sound. The main power caps were bulging. About the time I nearly finished that, my old Tek 465M oscilloscope developed a problem in the horiz. sweep ckt. Also found some other capacitors that were bad and replaced those.

Still using a 1990 JVC 36" CRT TV. I've fixed it several times + color-calibrated the picture. Deep blacks, great colors. I focus on big sound rather than big video. One of these days the JVC will croak (maybe), then I'll have to rebuild my entertainment center to accomodate a 16:9 set, rather than a 4:3.

You can tell I'm a very hands-on audiophile. I enjoy the building, reworking, learning, researching aspect. Feeds my EE left brain, while the music feeds my right brain. Thus audio engineering & acoustics is a perfect fit for me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back